Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

>What’s Old GM is New Again: Ignition Recall Gets More Flak?<

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 07:56 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Question >What’s Old GM is New Again: Ignition Recall Gets More Flak?<

What’s Old GM is New Again: Ignition Recall Gets More Flak, Lawsuits Could Be Blocked

Member's, post your thoughts/comments

March 11, 2014 at 5:41 pm by Clifford Atiyeh Car & Driver Mag >Source

General Motors may wish it could flush all 1.62 million cars under last month’s damning recall down the Corvette Museum sinkhole, but the company’s 10-year delay in owning up to ignition-switch defects that have led to at least 31 crashes and 13 deaths are making people angrier every week.
The Feds have now launched a twofold investigation into the matter. One comes from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, which in a 107-point memo demands GM turn over every related document or else risk the wrath of federal lawyers and a $35 million fine. The other is from the House Energy and Commerce Committee, which will subpoena GM executives and NHTSA officials “in the coming weeks.” That’s on top of GM’s internal investigation in which it will try to understand why it buried a serious problem that had been known for a decade.
To recap: 1.62 million Chevrolet Cobalts, Pontiac G5s, Chevrolet HHRs, Saturn Ions, Saturn Skys and Pontiac Solstices between 2003 and 2007 were recalled worldwide last month. Their ignition switches can rotate out of the “run” position to the “off” or “accessory” position without warning, shutting down the engine and all power accessories necessary for safe control of a speeding car. The airbags and any electronic safety equipment can also be disabled, which is a main reason why there are at least 13 related deaths.
A recent New York Times article revealed the NHTSA’s failure to launch any investigation in the past 10 years despite receiving more than 260 complaints of GM models that reportedly shut off while driving. The Times story—along with the suddenly rapt response from the NHTSA—was propelled by GM’s own admission to the agency that it had first discovered the problem in 2004, sent out some dealer bulletins, fixed a few hundred cars, changed the part on later models without telling the public, and blamed short people and anyone with extra stuff on their key chains. According to Automotive News, GM even bought back at least 12 Cobalts from owners whose dealers couldn’t fix their cars. Our own Jeff Sabatini, then a reporter for the New York Times, wrote in 2005 that his wife had been driving a Cobalt from GM’s press fleet when it “just went dead” on the highway. Sabatini said he only had the car’s keyless remote and a press fleet tag on the key chain.
The NHTSA has its own problems—in particular, its rather secretive and random method of how it chooses to escalate or throw out potential safety investigations. We’ve got but two examples (you can search all investigations on safercar.gov). On Feb. 10, the NHTSA opened an investigation on the 2010–2011 Mazda CX9 after only seven complaints of a loss of power braking. In September 2012, the agency opened an investigation on the 2012 Hyundai Elantra following a single complaint. During that same year, GM and the agency knew of at least 19 complaints from owners whose side airbags had inadvertently deployed—including one from a GM engineer who was drifting his Cadillac CTS-V wagon. They wrote off these incidents entirely. With the 2000 TREAD Act—which placed stricter regulations on reporting defects following the Firestone tire debacle on Ford Explorers—the ignition-switch problems shouldn’t have festered this long within the agency itself.
As for the House investigation, we’re not hopeful this Congress can finish anything it starts. Fisker Automotive and the Department of Energy were aggressively chased last year by the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform for the former automaker’s financial meltdown, yet the committee never published a formal resolution.

Here’s where the real backlash could start. GM, under bankruptcy terms it negotiated with the U.S. government in 2009, isn’t technically liable for anything that happened with its products prior to the filing. Any claims from this recall would therefore be brought to Motors Liquidation Company—the ghost of old GM—which basically has no money to pay out damages for a case of this size. “What is important is taking great care of our customers and showing that it really is a new day at GM,” CEO Mary Barra wrote in a post on GM’s FastLane blog.What have we learned here, besides GM’s idiotic suggestion that owners remove everything from the key chain, including the car’s keyless-entry fob? The government isn’t all that great at protecting us, and the new GM acts very much like the old GM, no matter if there’s a new lady in charge.

Other Stories You Might Like

EPA Superbird restored

Chrysler Recalls More Than 25,000 Jeep Grand Cherokees and Dodge Durangos

LeMons Wisdom vs. Conventional Wisdom: 17 Cars That Should Dominate But Don’t [Camaro, Supra, GTI—Ahoy!]

Wal-Mart Canada Reveals Gigantic Prototype Supercube Tractor-Trailer

Last edited by Space; 03-12-2014 at 07:59 AM.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:00 AM
Default 1st Drives GM `Rides

First Drive Review

2015 GMC Yukon XL / Yukon Denali XLGMC's big brawler, in fancy and extra-fancy forms.
CSABA CSERE | MARCH 2014
VIEW PHOTOS (27) READ FULL STORY

First Drive Review

2015 GMC Yukon / Yukon DenaliFor those who just can't be seen in a Chevrolet.
CSABA CSERE | MARCH 2014
VIEW PHOTOS (28) READ FULL STORY

First Drive Review

2015 Chevrolet SuburbanStill gargantuan, still truck-based—and also pleasant to drive.
CSABA CSERE | MARCH 2014
VIEW PHOTOS (26) READ FULL STORY

First Drive Review

2015 Chevrolet TahoeThe new and improved Tahoe should continue the model's success.
TONY QUIROGA | FEBRUARY 2014
VIEW PHOTOS (26) READ FULL STORY

Old 03-12-2014, 08:04 AM
Smile Bonus Post Just 4 U (LOL) Do U like it ? Want one ?

INSTRUMENTED TEST

arrowMeyers Manx Kick-Out S.S. Dune Buggy

Speed Buggy lives via this modern Manx created by Bruce Meyers himself.

From the March 2014 Issue of Car and Driver
TESTED
“I don’t know what I was thinking or why I was thinking it when I did it,” Bruce Meyers exhales while standing next to his Manx Kick-Out S.S. “But here it is. And here I am.”

What it is, is a dune buggy—a swoopy lump of fiberglass atop an old VW Beetle’s chopped-down floorpan that is the most iconic shape ever crafted in ­California. Elvis drove one inLive a Little, Love a Little. Steve McQueen used one to seduce Faye Dunaway in The Thomas Crown Affair. It was Speed Buggy on the ­Saturday morning cartoon block. It is ­sunshine and SoCal rendered in composites. A vapor trail of bikinis and beach ­volleyball games follows behind it. The Meyers Manx should be powered by Coppertone.
And it’s a shape—constantly copied, cloned, and ripped off—that’s been around since 1964. But it’s still around and, more surprisingly, so is Bruce Meyers.

Top right: The Kick-Out S.S. looks like a cross between a Lotus Elise and, well, a Meyers Manx. But it drives just like a Manx. Bottom right: Distended Subaru engine. Left: Bruce Meyers.
Now 88, Meyers survived kamikaze attacks while serving on the USSBunker Hill in 1944, competed in the first Baja 1000-mile race in 1967 with a jerrycan of gas clamped between his legs, and is currently working on marriage No. 6. “I’ve got a lot of stories,” he says. Bouncing around the five-acre spread in rural eastern San Diego County where he lives, Meyers is still doting on his one great contribution to American culture, coming up with new variations and shipping out fiberglass bodies starting at $4700. The Kick-Out S.S. kit starts at $5700; this one cost $7755.
Approaching the Manx with a fresh eye isn’t easy. After all, one was on the cover of Car and Driver’s April 1967 issue (“You Can Build This Fun Car For $635!”). Back in 2006, this magazine profiled Bruce Meyers and drove the larger Manxter 2+2 he had designed as a follow-up. It’s easy to dismiss the Manx as an artifact of a bygone moment. Sorting out its relevance in the 21st century is tougher.
His latest yellow screamer, pictured here, is powered by a water-cooled Subaru 2.5-liter four. Despite the Subie power, however, the basic chassis is still vintage VW, in this case a 1970 Beetle with the p­referred later-model trailing-arm rear suspension. Meyers says he has “about $35,000” into this one and will raffle it off this July to someone who buys a ticket through the MeyersManx.com website.

“The ‘kick-out’ is the maneuver a surfer makes at the end of riding a wave,” Meyers says. “S.S. is for ‘Strictly Street.’”
So this Manx rides low over 15-inch, five-spoke wheels inside BFGoodrich Radial T/A all-season tires with ridiculously skinny 155/80R-15s in front and ­relatively enormous 275/60R-15s in back. “Where did we get these wheels?” Meyers asks his sole shop employee, Miguel. “I don’t know,” is the answer; “eBay?”
The street-oriented character of this Kick-Out is also apparent in the Griffin aluminum radiator hanging vulnerably low under the nose. Also the fiberglass pods that fill in the bottoms of each side and feature a duct to nowhere. Could radiators be fitted behind those side pods? “Sure,” Meyers shrugs. “You can do whatever you want.” With its color-impregnated finish, nose-down stance, creased fenders, nerf bars, twin roll-bar hoops, and a curved Super Beetle windshield, the Kick-Out is both unmistakably a Manx and gorgeous. Continued...
PHOTOS (27)

Specifications >

VEHICLE TYPE: rear-engine, rear-wheel-drive, 2-passenger, 0-door roadster

PRICE AS TESTED: $35,000
BASE PRICE (Meyers Manx S.S. kit): $5,700

ENGINE TYPE: DOHC 16-valve flat-4, aluminum block and heads, port fuel injection

Displacement: 150 cu in, 2457 cc
Power (mfr's claim): 170 hp @ 5500 rpm
Torque (mfr's claim): 166 lb-ft @ 4000 rpm

TRANSMISSION: 5-speed manual

DIMENSIONS:
Wheelbase: 80.0 in
Length: 132.0 in
Width: 68.0 in Height: 48.0 in
Curb weight: 1631 lb

C/D TEST RESULTS:
Zero to 60 mph: 5.2 sec
Rolling start, 5-60 mph: 5.7 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 14.2 sec @ 94 mph
Braking, 70-0 mph: 226 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.68 g (right-turning only)

Old 03-12-2014, 07:18 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2015
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Hey Space,

Nice to see GM getting off their keisters and fixing something that could potentially harm or even kill a fair amount of the people that buy their vehicles. Sad that they usually let things accumulate into higher enough numbers that they are forced to actually fix a faulty part, because if the numbers don't get high enough they just leave it be and hope it goes away. I had a 96 cavalier that would continue to try and start until I had the relay switch replaced, turned out it was a recall on the cars but I never once heard anything from GM about the part being recalled until well after I had it fixed on my own.

I like the buggy, I have always thought they would be a cool vehicle to own, just not in my area, there is a guy that drives around town in one in the summer, but I'd take a monte any day of the week, living in this area, if I lived in southern california I may re evaluate my take on things.

Old 03-12-2014, 10:50 PM

I wish GM would take ownership of this crappy passlock problem that keeps me from starting my car all the time. It's bad because one day I'm going to get sick I in the cold somewhere l.