Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

? Well-Equipped Garage ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 03:54 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Question ? Well-Equipped Garage ?

<LI class=first>The Well-Equipped Garage: Everything You Need to Create Yours <~(If below links do not work ? Click)***

Hi Member's, what else would you add to the below ? Please post ?

<LI class=first>Do you have everything listed below ?

The Well-Equipped Garage: Everything You Need to Create Yours

It's time to reclaim the garage from rakes, brooms, and bikes. Here's what you need to make it yours.

</HGROUP></HEADER>
  • July 2012
  • PHOTOGRAPHY BY ROY RITCHIE
  • ILLUSTRATION BY PETE SUCHESKI
<TABLE style="FONT-SIZE: 12px" class=default border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width=678><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

To those who love tinkering, the garage can be many things: a sanctuary, a place for quality time with your favorite toys, an alchemist’s lab where beer turns ideas into reality. Whatever role the garage plays in your life, it’s easy to see its potential as more than just a place to park. It calls out to be used, and to be useful. We offer the following pages as a guide to stocking your garage with the right tools, from the smallest hand-held items to the big gear that will make your neighbors jealous.
<STYLE type=text/css>#wellgarage1 { width: 391px; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 11px; line-height: 13x; margin-top: -1539px; margin-left: 12px;}</STYLE>

<LI class=first>

<LI class=first><MAP name=startsmall><AREA href="http://media.caranddriver.com/images/media/61/the-well-equipped-garage-start-small-photo-464421-s-original.jpg" shape=rect target=_blank coords=10,161,186,192></MAP><LI class=first><MAP name=wrenchandreach><AREA href="http://media.caranddriver.com/images/media/61/the-well-equipped-garage-wrench-reach-photo-464320-s-original.jpg" shape=rect target=_blank coords=10,131,185,163></MAP>

<LI class=first><MAP name=gripandgrin><AREA href="http://media.caranddriver.com/images/media/61/the-well-equipped-garage-grip-grin-photo-464322-s-original.jpg" shape=rect target=_blank coords=10,139,186,172></MAP>

<LI class=first><MAP name=braketime><AREA href="http://media.caranddriver.com/images/media/61/the-well-equipped-garage-brake-time-photo-464323-s-original.jpg" shape=rect target=_blank coords=10,123,183,155></MAP><LI class=first><MAP name=powerup><AREA href="http://media.caranddriver.com/images/media/61/the-well-equipped-garage-power-up-photo-464324-s-original.jpg" shape=rect target=_blank coords=10,144,185,175></MAP>

<LI class=first><MAP name=addthisstuff><AREA href="http://media.caranddriver.com/images/media/61/the-well-equipped-garage-add-this-stuff-photo-464325-s-original.jpg" shape=rect target=_blank coords=10,133,185,163></MAP><LI class=first><LI class=first><LI class=first><MAP name=dreambig><AREA href="http://media.caranddriver.com/images/media/61/the-well-equipped-garage-dream-big-photo-464326-s-original.jpg" shape=rect target=_blank coords=10,133,185,164></MAP><MAP name=getlifted><AREA href="http://media.caranddriver.com/images/media/61/the-well-equipped-garage-get-lifted-photo-464327-s-original.jpg" shape=rect target=_blank coords=10,132,185,164></MAP>
Tool collecting is a journey, not a destination—you’re never done hunting and acquiring. Even though the essentials displayed here comprise a broad and comprehensive set, there are tiny  variations on these babies too numerous to list. Go deep into specialty tools for tasks such as engine rebuilding, and an even larger universe awaits. Our advice: Start with the basics and add to suit your budget and needs.  And remember that good tools last for generations, so take a lesson from your dad and buy quality items with a guarantee.

Wrenches, like sockets, are the heroes of the tool kit—you’ll use them for everything. We like combination wrenches, which have an open and a box end in each size. Nearly every bolt you see on a modern car can be turned with a metric wrench, but Imperial sizes might help with the old lawn mower.

Pliers grip harder than your hands can. A few basics, such as needle-nose, tongue-and-groove, and slip-joint are key. You’ll be surprised how some extras, like small needle-nosed pliers, can come in handy. As for locking pliers (a.k.a. Vise-Grips), you’re going to want two or three of those suckers—they’re like having extra limbs.

A brake job is one of the simplest do-it-yourself auto-repair tasks, but you’ll need the right tools to get it done properly. A bleeder kit and a pad spreader (or C-clamp) are essential, while other tools make the job go faster. Make sure you consult some how-to resources before your first attempt.

No, power tools are not just for lazy people. They save time and do things your hands can’t. The latest cordless tools offer plenty of power and the convenience of portability. And if you stick with one brand, you can swap batteries among tools. If your drilling and grinding needs get really serious, a dedicated air-tool setup is the way to go.

From must-have items such as a torque wrench and an oil-drain pan to useful gadgets like a multimeter, there are an endless number of ways to fully equip your garage. Do it right and you’ll be able to tackle almost any task life throws at you, or at least the ones that can be solved with elbow grease.

If you’re ambitious and dedicated, the garage can be the ultimate home-renovation project. Fill it with these big-ticket items—the rest of the details, such as wall art and beer-fridge location, are up to you. One final piece of advice: A urinal can be more useful than a sink.

The lift is the holy grail of the amateur mechanic’s garage. It makes simple tasks easier and complex tasks possible. A lift is a big deal to install; you might even need to repour your concrete floor. Here are four common styles to consider.

Other Stories You Might Like
<IFRAME style="WIDTH: 1px; DISPLAY: none; HEIGHT: 1px" id=ob_iframe src="http://widgets.outbrain.com/nanoWidget/3rd/comScore/comScore.htm"></IFRAME>
<WBR><STYLE type=text/css> .voterDiv .ob_bctrl{display:none;} .ob_pdesc IMG{border:none;} .AR_3 .ob_what{text-align:right;clear:both;} .AR_3 .ob_clear{clear:both;} .AR_3 .ob_container{width:100%;position:relative;overflo w:hidden;} .AR_3 .strip-img{width:109px;height:109px;border:none !important;margin:0px !important;display:block;padding:0px !important;background-image: url(http://widgets.outbrain.com/strip_default.png)} .AR_3 .item-link-container{text-decoration:none;} .AR_3 .strip-rec-link-title{font-size:13px;font-weight:normal;line-height:16px;} .AR_3 .strip-rec-link-source{font-size:12px;line-height:16px} .AR_3 .strip-like{padding-bottom:4px;font-size:14px;line-height:16px;height:20px;font-weight:bold;} .AR_3 .item-container a,.AR_3 .item-container a:hover,.AR_3 .item-container a:visited{border:medium none;text-decoration:none;} .AR_3 .ob_video{border:medium none;position:absolute;top:5px;left:5px} .AR_3 .ob-rec-link-img{position:relative;} .AR_3 .wbr:before {content: \"\200B\"} .AR_3 .ob_container_recs{width:100%;position:absolute;} .AR_3 .ob_container_recs A{display:inline;direction:ltr;text-align:left;} .AR_3 .ob-text-content A{width:100%;padding:0px 0px;} .AR_3 .ob-text-content{padding-top:6px;} .AR_3 .item-container A.ob-text-content{display:block;} .AR_3 .ob_container_recs .item-container{float:left;direction:ltr;width:111px;mar gin-bottom:300px;padding-right:9px;} .AR_3 .ob_container_recs .ob-last{padding-right:0px;} .AR_3 .ob_container_shadow_outer{position:static;width:1 00%;} .AR_3 .ob_container_shadow .item-container-shadow{position:static;overflow-x:hidden;width:0px;float:left;direction:ltr;} .AR_3 .ob_container_shadow .item-container{width:111px;visibility:hidden;float:left } </STYLE>
Pedestrian and Inflatable A-Pillar Airbags Explained

Fun All Around

2013 Chevrolet Corvette (C7)

A Tally of Interesting Cars Killed by Cash for Clunkers

Last edited by Space; 07-16-2012 at 04:21 AM.
Old 07-16-2012, 04:37 AM

Member's, post a picture of your Garage, or your Monte Carlo Bedroom ?

Old 07-16-2012, 04:59 AM

I sure would like to have some of those garages and cars...
I have most what I need except a lift and a Tech11.

Old 07-16-2012, 05:08 AM

Good Morning `Joe,
I've noticed that you get `up early each morning to extract the most from your new day

Yes, I love the garages above & one is on my dream list. I don't want to get another Monte Carlo until I have a good Monte Bedroom for it + the above tools...I work'in & saving to make my dreams come true 4-Sure...

I could live in a garage (LOL)...Thanks `Joe, for your posts & contributions to the MCF..Wish you & Member's a great day & also a Great Garage & Tools

Old 07-16-2012, 08:33 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I'm trying to get my Dad to approve us getting a lift. Would make life much easier.

We have to build a garage for the 68 Camaro, maybe when he starts that...

Old 07-16-2012, 08:35 AM

mn i wish i just had a garage with a lift haha, but i would want a whole paint station if i could in the future!

Old 07-17-2012, 06:03 AM

see photosRealtor.com
Click for full photo gallery: Homes With Amazing And Outrageous Garages

Video: Luxury Car Clubs <~ Can you afford to join the Club ? It's one way to drive many exotic's rides

Last edited by Space; 07-17-2012 at 06:06 AM.
Old 09-10-2013, 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
I'm trying to get my Dad to approve us getting a lift. Would make life much easier.

We have to build a garage for the 68 Camaro, maybe when he starts that...

Yes, you need a lift in life `Mike + a garage for your Monte 4-Sure

Old 09-10-2013, 05:24 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I'll tell you, I've got must everything on this list. The first thing I need to add to my garage is a Garage! Having a Shade Tree is good, fresh air, sunshine Butyou worry about the neighbor looking for a parking space not seeing your legs sticking out from under your car and running you over! Yes a Driveway would be nice But a garage would be Heaven!

Old 09-10-2013, 07:59 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I usually decide on a project, and then make sure that we have all of the tools for that project, and then buy what is needed.

For all the crap that we have done to our cars over the years, we have built up quite the tool collection

I'm still trying to get a lift though...