Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Well that didn't turn out like I expected

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2006, 11:33 PM
Default Well that didn't turn out like I expected

Up until February of last year, I had lived in Sacramento since 1997. In 1998 I landed a job with one of the largest medical equipment providers in the country, with over 500 branches throughout the states. I progressed from my entry level position to the become the assistant supervisor of the shop and although always wanting more money, was very comfortable where I was. In January of last year, an opening became available here in our Portland branch doing the same thing I was doing in Sacramento. They had just opened up the department at the Portland Branch and they wanted to put someone there who was experienced and could step in and not only support the sales person, but run the shop like it needed to be run. Being the one with the longest tenure in the shop and obviously the most qualified, they asked me if I'd be interested in taking it. With my father, brother, newborn nephew, step mom, grandmother, aunt, uncle and a handful of cousins already living up here, I had plenty of reason to accept the challenge. However, I would be leaving behind my 9yr old son and 10yr old step daughter, although thier mother and I were separated. My dad had recently lost his job due to medical reasons and had no income, I had just gone through a tough separation from my gf of 3 years, and I was fresh out of a brutal car accident in which my children and my Uncle were my passengers and my Uncle didn't survive, so I decided I needed a fresh start. Not only would I be able to spend time with my dad, whom I had grown very close with over the years after having dealt with the issues that strained our relationship in earlier years, but I would be able to help him financially and physically since he's got medical issues that limit his mobility. Also, I'd be able to spend time with my newborn nephew and the rest of my family up here, as well as helping grow our business out of this branch, ensuring my job security and being able to provide a stable environment for my son(who was going to move up with me once I got settled) and my step-daughter when she would come to visit. I accepted the job and transferred up in February of 05. Things were rocky from the get-go due to the RTS not buying into our way of doing things as a company, he had his own ideas and vision how things should work and he fought the system every step of the way. He was one of 10 certified RTS's in the state of Oregon and had established relationships with the various payors and referral sources in the area so it's not like we could just replace him. The second month I was there, I had increased our revenue from 26k to 76k! Things were looking good. Then they got the bright idea to centralize the process, in effect, taking it out of my hands, and we never got close to that mark again. Then last week, Jan. 18th, my RTS resigned and I was left on a sinking ship. I was told that they were going to try to recruit a replacement so we could keep it going, but that didn't pan out and I was given my final paycheck today. No notice, no conversation, no explanation, just a final check and a handshake.

I had to call the HR department to find out I was not fired, I was laid off. Is that crazy or what? With my release, they have shut down the department. My next step......get back to California with my kids!!! Wish me luck.

Old 01-28-2006, 03:20 AM
Default RE: Well that didn't turn out like I expected

Thats some craziness!! Good Luck

Old 01-28-2006, 06:37 PM

Rich, sorry to hear of you’re challenges.... Knowing you, you'll be back on your feet before you know it. I am not sure about Cali but Texas has a ton of medical field positions open and cannot find people to fill them. Good luck in your move and let us know how things go...

Old 02-03-2006, 04:12 PM

good luck man...

Old 02-03-2006, 04:40 PM

Thanks for the kind words and best wishes guys.

**UPDATE**

My job has offered me a nice severance package and I qualify for unemployment. I have spoken to a former coworker in Sacramento and she told some people down there what had happened to me up here, one of whom is the Manager of another department who I was real cool with, and he offered me a job on the spot! I also contacted my former supervisor down there and he wants me back as well, but he's got to get the ok from corporate to hire another person, so that's pending. As of last night, I seem to have secured living arrangements in Sacramento, pending one last hurdle which hopefully won't be much of one, if one at all. When I get rehired in Sacramento, I will retain my seniority as if I never left.

Old 02-04-2006, 12:30 AM

Sounds like you've landed on your feet Rich.. and still running.[8D]

Tj

Old 02-05-2006, 04:54 AM

well glad to know everythings cool with you man.

Old 02-05-2006, 05:23 AM

Thanks guys.

Well, it's certainly looking better today than it did a week ago, but I don't want to get too excited about it until it comes to fruition. Things are likely to be pretty tight financially once I get to Sac so i'm not sure how long it'll be before I can log on once I get there but I'll find a way to let you guys know what's up.

Old 02-08-2006, 01:13 PM

well, looks like things are looking up...hopefully all goes as planned!

Old 07-07-2006, 11:21 AM

good luck and god speed