Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Member's BLOG: >Wednesday, November 16, 2011< CLICK

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 12:20 PM

Good morning everyone. I woke about half an hour ago. I fell asleep at four.

I will try to answer some questions about my job.
If memory serves me correctly the Walt Disney World Resort sits on 55,000 acres. It consists of four theme parks that in and of themselves is very large. It has one large market place, entertainment, and retail complex, and dozens of lodging resorts. The entire resort is maintained by Disney's Engineering Department which has many sub departments that deal with different aspect such as new construction, design which for Disney is called Imagineering, state or federal legislation, and area.
I am currently statused at Disney's Port Orleans Resort. At Port Orleans we have two sides of the resort or two resorts that merged into one. We have the French Quarter side which was themed to resemble New Orleans, and we have Riverside which is themed to resemble different parts of the old south. Riverside used to be called Dixie Landings but Disney changed the name to keep from offending anyone. Port Orleans consists of twenty-six lodge buildings, three commercial buildings, seven pools with their support buildings, a dozen fountains, and some outlying support buildings. My official job title is A/C Plumber Journeyman Area Mechanic. That is Disneys way of saying I specialize in air conditioning and plumbing, but will do anything I am instructed to do. I usually work in the kitchens keeping the kitchen equipment serviced and many nights I am kept running between the three kitchens. Each kitchen is full of stoves, ovens, grills, griddles, coolers, freezers, fryers, skillets, kettles, heat lamps, tables, blenders, soda towers, ice machines, dish machines, tray dryers, hood systems, sinks, and many other items that I forget about until I get a call to fix it. I work on refrigeration, electrical, plumbing,and mechanical systems.
Most nights I get just the kitchens and someone else is assigned the plumbing and air conditioning calls. The plumbing and a/c calls are usually mostly plumbing dealing with the pools and fountains and rest rooms. Usually when we get an a/c call it is because of a cast member who thinks it is too hot. We have set points that the temps have to be at and we can't deviate from. Last night I had all the kitchens, the a/c calls, the plumbing calls, the laundry rooms. Last night I repaired two different ice machines, a pizza oven, a washing machine, cleared two toilets, I looked at one cooler door threshold, a grille, a cooler,a soda tower,and a pool. I start work at four p.m. And finish at twelve ten. It was ten thirty and I had not had lunch yet. I saw the foreman walking in the kitchen when I looked at the grille. I told him I was going to lunch and that I was done for the night unless we had an emergency. He didn't object.

Last edited by mousehousemoparman; 11-16-2011 at 12:31 PM.
Old 11-16-2011, 01:28 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Space to answer your question no i was enver in the boy scouts.

Gregg, i remember learing about the massive size of disney world and how they have a ton more acerage to expand on if they so wanted to. The place amazes me personally, especially hearing about all the underground tunnels and such. One cast member was saying when he first started working he always got lost in the tunnels.

Ah i remember where i learned this stuff, my school band went down to disney world this past may as our yearly trip. We got to perform in downtown disney and we had a music workshop run by one of disneys musicians. I believe it was then that we learned alot about the park.

Raining here today, finally getting to use my new bosch icon wipers, not 100% happy as they're leaving behind streaks after they go by which disapeer when on intermit but not on low or high. Any idea why they're leaving a fog behind? Also scared the ***t out of myself changing lanes as i started hydroplaning.

Old 11-16-2011, 02:06 PM
Default Ah The Tunnels!

Disney likes tunnels. A few of the resorts and two of the parks have tunnels to keep the workings of the areas out of sight. It is part of the Disney magic. The Magic Kingdom has the largest tunnel system and it is extensive. I have been in it but have never really had to work in it because Magic Kingdom is the one park I have never worked in and that is ok with me. Working in Magic Kingdom creates a bunch of hassles you don't have to deal with in other locations. I have worked in Animal Kingdom, EPCOT, and Hollywood Studios. The resorts I have worked in are The Allstar Music Resort, The Contemporary, The Caribbean Beach Resort, The Pop Century Resort, The Disney Institute, and The Port Orleans Resort. One of the cool things is that you can bid into different locations and it is like starting a new job without the negatives of starting a new job.
I have worked in the tunnels at Epcot and they make accessing areas easy.

Old 11-16-2011, 04:47 PM
5 Year Member

The tunnel system is simply amazing.

Just checked bbc america for the channel it would be here, then i hurried to the channel only to get "Weak signal" no top gear for me... I'm debating about whether i should get cod mwf3 or not. I've never really played cod much, and halo doesn't appeal to me. Anyone think i should get it?

Last edited by Leprechaun93; 11-16-2011 at 04:57 PM.
Old 11-16-2011, 05:35 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2011
Monte Of The Month -- July 2014
RED DEVIL
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

todays project....imagine what the rest of the car looked like this is just the back seat

after

might take a few more pics tomorrow

Old 11-16-2011, 06:21 PM
5 Year Member

yuck, but nice work getting it all out.

Old 11-16-2011, 06:43 PM

Monte Of The Month -- May 2013
1 Year Member

WOW!! Zach. thats Amazing! man you do great work. Thank God I have leather seats in mine. Plus no one eats or puts anything inside the passenger compartment. My wifes seats in the cobalt are a bit stained. She spilled her coffee one day on the way home from work. Not sure how to get that all out. can you give us a hint on what to do Zach ?

Old 11-16-2011, 07:14 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

Wow Zach great job on cleaning that seat

Old 11-16-2011, 07:22 PM

Evening guys. Off to work I go. Short week for me only cause the Army has me on duty Friday through Sunday. Tomorrow I won't be sleeping during my normal time. I'll have to wait till tomorrow night to do it grrrrr.

Old 11-16-2011, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Ricks 2006 SS
WOW!! Zach. thats Amazing! man you do great work. Thank God I have leather seats in mine. Plus no one eats or puts anything inside the passenger compartment. My wifes seats in the cobalt are a bit stained. She spilled her coffee one day on the way home from work. Not sure how to get that all out. can you give us a hint on what to do Zach ?
Rick try Simple Green and a soft brissle brush and a wet/dry vac.

Quick Reply: Member's BLOG: >Wednesday, November 16, 2011< CLICK