Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.
View Poll Results: Member's; Do you use your Turn Signals ?
Yes, Faithfully
56.25%
Most of the time
31.25%
Sometimes
6.25%
Never
0%
I use a certain finger a lot
12.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Turn Signal Neglect

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 11:31 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Angry Turn Signal Neglect

Hi Member's,
Are you a violator ? Do you use your turn signals ?
or just your `Finger ~> ?
Turn Signal Neglect A Continuing Problem In The US

May 3, 2012

Image Credit: Photos.com
Jason Farmer for RedOrbit.com
A recent in-depth study by the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) of turn signal rates-of-neglect has yielded some surprising and somewhat disturbing results. The study reveals just how rampant the problem is and gives an idea of the number of accidents caused, or potentially caused, each year by improper usage of turn signals. Solutions to the problem were also offered by the researchers in the study and were presented at the 2012 SAE World Congress.
The extensive study recorded the turn signal usage of 12,000 vehicles as they changed lanes or made turns. The data reveals the rate of turn signal neglect for vehicles changing lanes is 48%. Vehicles making turns improperly used turn signals 25% of the time. The statistics extrapolated to include all U.S. drivers means that turn signal neglect occurs over 2 billion times a day, or 750 billion times a year. WoW

The data collected in the study indicates that turn signal neglect is responsible for up to 2 million accidents per year. This would mean that improper usage of turn signals causes more than twice the number of collisions than those resulting from distracted drivers, which, according to the U.S. Department of Transportation, approaches 1 million. Given the myriad variables contributing to driver distraction, no one is quite sure how to effectively deal with that problem. However, researchers in the study have concluded that recent Smart Turn Signal technology may offer a very effective solution to the problem of turn signal neglect.
Vehicles can be fitted with Smart Turn Signal technology that use sensors and computer analysis to shut off the turn signal when necessary and remind motorists to use the turn signal on a regular basis and at the appropriate time. If the computer detects a pattern of a driver’s neglect to use the turn signal properly, it will offer a prompt to do so, like the beeping sound that reminds drivers to wear their seatbelts. The technology has been shown to assist drivers in establishing good signaling habits and can greatly reduce the risk of accidents and traffic violations.
Another potential benefit of the Smart Turn Signal technology is the savings in cost to car manufactures and buyers. The Smart Turn Signal uses already existing Stability Control System sensors standard in all new cars. And, with the new technology, the standard turn signal trip mechanism can be eliminated, also reducing weight and space in the vehicle. While it has been a very effective safety feature on all cars since it was implemented in 1940, the turn signal trip mechanism has not been improved upon since.
“This is a first of its kind report on a subject that amazingly, has never been studied. The turn signal is one of the very original automotive crash prevention devices and this simple driver to driver communication device remains extremely effective, but only when it is accurately displayed as required by law”, states Richard Ponziani, P.E., President of RLP Engineering and author of the report. “The turn signal can no longer be considered ‘optional’ and all drivers have an ongoing duty to use it, just as they have a duty to stop at a stop sign or at a red light” he added. Ponziani further stated: “Smart Turn Signals are the perfect complement to the Stability Control System since Stability Control predominately prevents single-vehicle crashes, whereas the Smart Turn Signal prevents multi-vehicle crashes”.

Source: redOrbit (Turn Signal Neglect A Continuing Problem In The US - Science News - redOrbit)

Old 05-03-2012, 11:42 AM

Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- June 2014
Monte Of The Month -- July 2016
10 Year Member

never understood why people cant signal, it takes one flick of the hand! less than a second!!

Old 05-03-2012, 11:43 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

I really hate when people in front of you don't use a signal at intersections, leaving parking lots or even worse, CHANGING LANES!! I think it's a very RARE day I don't signal for something.

Heck, if brake lights weren't automatic, a lot of peiople wouldn't trigger those (thank god they are automatic)....

Old 05-03-2012, 11:54 AM

Monte Of The Month -- May 2013
1 Year Member

OMG! Thats one of things that really **** me off. And in Arizona its really bad. Those old Blue hairs never ever do it. And out west say Az & calif. Everyone is in such a hurry. Holy sh** and then cut you off & no turn signal. I really love it when your coming up to an exit on the freeway. And some jerk comes racing up too you doing way over the speed limit. Then turn in front of you at the next second to get off.. Once while we were in Az for the winter this older fart. cuts me off to get into a parking lot. I follow him in, were going there also. I told him your freakin turn signal doesn't work. He just looked at me like what?? Yeah jerk nose its the little handle on the streeting wheel ! Man I hate that more then anything. ohhhe nough said. Before my blood pressure goes up

Old 05-03-2012, 12:14 PM

..Sorry `Rick, I didn't mean 2 upset you ~> LOL

================================================== ===
I LoL'ed when I did a search & found the below
I just love the `web....How can anyone ever get bored `if they
are fotunate to be connected to the World (WoW)
============================================
How to Use Your Turn Signal

Part of safe driving is letting the other drivers around you predict what you will do. Using your turn signals is not difficult, and it's generally required by law whenever you make a turn or change lanes. Providing a signal to turn to other drivers, both in front of you and behind you, is to communicate to them, your intentions to change lane or directions. Communications is an effective tool to help prevent most accidents from happening.

1. 1

1. Locate the lever on the left side of the steering column. (This lever will be on the right in any car designed for driving on the left side of the road.)

2. 2
    To signal a left turn, push the lever down (or up if the lever is to the right of your steering column).

• You may be able to flick the lever with your fingers without removing your entire hand from the steering wheel. But don't turn the wheel in the process. It's best to keep your other hand on it, too.
  3. 3
    To signal a right turn, push the lever up (or down if the lever is to the right of your steering column).

4. 4
    Once you have moved the lever up or down, an arrow light will begin blinking on the dashboard.

5. 5

The signal will automatically turn off after you have made the turn, in most cases, but you must turn the wheel past a certain point. If it doesn't automatically turn off, move the lever back to its central, neutral position.
    • Many turn signal levers activate the signal in two positions for each direction. You can either push the lever far enough that it clicks, and it will stay on, or you can hold the lever just short of the click position and it will spring back. The springing back position is useful for changing lanes, since you may not turn the steering wheel far enough for the turn signal to turn off automatically.

<LI class=g><TABLE style="WIDTH: 100%" class=ts><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=2>How to use a turning signal - YouTube <~ If you have time click LOL "Is everyone out there
on drugs LOL....It can get confusing to turn the right signal on...Watch 2 find out how ? LOL LOL
I think I'm sleep deprieved

<TR><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 8px; PADDING-TOP: 4px" vAlign=top width=1><TD style="PADDING-TOP: 1px" vAlign=top>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

More videos for How to use turn signals »

<LI id=newsbox class=g>News for How to use turn signals

<CITE style="TEXT-OVERFLOW: ellipsis; DISPLAY: block; WHITE-SPACE: nowrap; MARGIN-BOTTOM: 5px; COLOR: gray; FONT-SIZE: 11px; OVERFLOW: hidden">RedOrbit</CITE>
  1. Consequences of Failing to Use Turn Signals

I completed a presentation about distracted driving to 1600 students at Mayo High School in Rochester, Minnesota yesterday in ...

Last edited by Space; 05-03-2012 at 12:26 PM.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:47 PM

Turn signal is a must even if there is no one around for miles I still use it and if I forget which is like a unicorns chance that I do I feel all nasty inside. It's so frustrating people who don't use the turn signal are and people who driver under the speed limit are the two things that P*ss me off. It's habitual now for me. Just popping that signal can even save you from getting a ticket in almost any situation, chances are the other person didn't signal and you'd probably get off over the other person. There's my rant I know most of you guys LOVEE your Montes so you use the signal, any visitors here USE YOUR DARN SIGNAL!

Old 05-03-2012, 06:31 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2016
10 Year Member

Lamest excuse for not signaling lane changes - "people see the signal and speed up so I cant change". Plan ahead, dingo.

And my Monte Carlo has the most awesome turn signal system. There's the normal lock into blink mode AND a real cool 4-5 blinks by nudging the stick. Great for open freeway lane changes and pulling out from parking spots.

I think it's got AARP mode - leave it going too long and the DIC chimes and scolds me.

Old 05-03-2012, 06:36 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I use mine probably 95% of the time, i tend to not use it when rolling around parking lots or if im making a fast lane change for one reason or another. But people are bad with not using them on my drive to and from school. No signal and they just but right in, love it.. or you're behind someone and they're slowing slowing slowing slowing and you're ready to scream and oh they decide to turn somewhere, like arg its not difficult to signal jack@$$

Old 05-03-2012, 06:43 PM

If I'm moving to a left or right turn only lane I don't signal (unless a cops around). On the freeway in the AM I don't signal because there's too many ***holes zipping all over the place and many times you have to stop on a dime or jump to another lane to avoid an accident because people cut in front of you.

But most times, especially lane changes on the freeway I'll hold the signal for 2-3 blinks while I move over. Blind spots on the Monte are TERRIBLE - better safe than sorry.

I always hit it when turning on roads that aren't in a turn lane.

Old 05-03-2012, 07:32 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Im with ya on the morning commute with a hole zipping everywhere. Freakin terrible, same with the evening commute For me, 2 blinks for a lane change

Quick Reply: Turn Signal Neglect