Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Member's BLOG: Tuesday, March 25th 2014

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 11:15 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Oh Oh!
Minor changes in todays plans....
Its frigging SNOWING!
Looks like the Sierra stays in Storage anither day or 2 til it all friggn clears up..Looks like we maybe getting a cpl inchs Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Did I ever mention... I hate living in Michigan?

Have a Great Day...
Hope I don't have to get out the snow shoes.....again!

Old 03-25-2014, 11:38 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Last night fixed something on the new '04 Grand Am.... The turn signal flasher well click on it's own (no lights/signals are active). The problem is rooted in the turn signal multi-function assembly (surprise lol). I found the fix to be easy and doesn't get any cheaper then FREE! I found the info thanks to MANY people on the Internet posting about it.
Pulled it out of the car, pulled it apart, inside it had too much die-electric grease on the contacts, with age came dirt and between the dirt and grease, well, it was bridging contacts!!! Cleaned it up, a dab of grease, re-assemble and so far so good.

Then I thought bulbs were out on the instrument cluster. Long story short (and yes, I confirmed my findings), from '99 (start of this gen Grand Am) until '05, GM cheapened the car in little ways. In '04 they got rid of the cruise set light on the cluster and the low oil light (as well as the low oil switch in the oil pan). Geez! I'm going to see if I can get the cruise light re-instated (as the traces and spot are there on the board for the cluster, but the light and components are missing). First, I'll run a test with a cluster form another Grand Am (if it works, can use that cluster to figure out the missing components on mine).

BTW - Appears '99 was the only year of this gen Grand Am to have the tire pressure monitoring and '99/'00 were the only years to have both mirror map lights and foot well lights.

WOW and Weird!

Old 03-25-2014, 11:57 AM

5 Year Member

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
Last night fixed something on the new '04 Grand Am.... The turn signal flasher well click on it's own (no lights/signals are active). The problem is rooted in the turn signal multi-function assembly (surprise lol). I found the fix to be easy and doesn't get any cheaper then FREE! I found the info thanks to MANY people on the Internet posting about it.
Pulled it out of the car, pulled it apart, inside it had too much die-electric grease on the contacts, with age came dirt and between the dirt and grease, well, it was bridging contacts!!! Cleaned it up, a dab of grease, re-assemble and so far so good.

Then I thought bulbs were out on the instrument cluster. Long story short (and yes, I confirmed my findings), from '99 (start of this gen Grand Am) until '05, GM cheapened the car in little ways. In '04 they got rid of the cruise set light on the cluster and the low oil light (as well as the low oil switch in the oil pan). Geez! I'm going to see if I can get the cruise light re-instated (as the traces and spot are there on the board for the cluster, but the light and components are missing). First, I'll run a test with a cluster form another Grand Am (if it works, can use that cluster to figure out the missing components on mine).

BTW - Appears '99 was the only year of this gen Grand Am to have the tire pressure monitoring and '99/'00 were the only years to have both mirror map lights and foot well lights.

WOW and Weird!
Jason:
Your one smart cookie...
Electrical has "NEVER" been my forte! Great discovery and Great fix!

The dash bulbs on my 1999 are starting to fail on my radio buttons...Grrr
Hey...
Maybe at the meet you can straighten mine out? I will buy you a club T shirt!

Good to hear you getting things straightened out and starting to enjoy your new ride!

Old 03-25-2014, 02:21 PM

Hey gang I know it's late, it feels even later here too, been up since 5:30, had my grandmas funeral today. The weather always seems to be bad for funerals, I hope it warms up soon

Old 03-25-2014, 03:43 PM

5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Emilie19
Hey gang I know it's late, it feels even later here too, been up since 5:30, had my grandmas funeral today. The weather always seems to be bad for funerals, I hope it warms up soon
Sorry to hear of your Grandmothers passing...
Prayers and God Bless..

Old 03-25-2014, 04:01 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member

Well after 420+ miles of traveling today, the 97 has a new home. Sold it for (get this) $950! $600 for the car and $350 for delivery. I Only paid $1000 for it i 2011, drove it 37k miles. The new owner is going to use passenger side sheet metal to repair a 99 monte with only 59k miles on it that got hit. So atleast its going to good use.

Old 03-25-2014, 07:27 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member

Good evening all. Woke up to more salt on the road. (We only got a dusting of snow but that didn't stop them from destroying the roads GRRR!)

Old 03-25-2014, 08:41 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2015
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Good evening everyone, been crazy busy at work this week and it's only going to get busier got to love end of quarter, especially when they top it off with accreditation YEAH lol, what can you do but grin and bare it, ok enough belly aching on my part.

Emille sorry to hear about your Grandmother

Jason, great deduction work, you always seem to know what to do to get the job done

Keane, congrats on the sale of your car, and you did fairly well on getting your money back

David, you keep teasing with the "secret project" you have to give us a clue now and then

Old 03-25-2014, 08:47 PM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2014

Our condolences emilie19, thoughts and prayers are with you and your family at this difficult time.

Old 03-26-2014, 10:47 AM

Thanks so much for your sympathies everyone, it was bittersweet, we all miss her so much but she really is in a better place now