Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Is this True???

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 04:13 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2015
Monte Of The Month -- February 2011
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Old 02-13-2015, 04:18 PM

Monte of the Month -- February 2015
Monte Of The Month -- April 2017
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

It sure would be sweet if it was true!!!
Guess I better get prepared to take out a loan!!!!

Old 02-13-2015, 04:29 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2011
Monte Of The Month -- April 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Mel,

If there would be a 2015 Monte suppliers would already have parts in production.

Our engineers at work (We make OEM manufacture parts for all the major car companies) have not heard of a 1015 Monte n the works. We supply GM with engine parts.

Just another model year turnover rumor

Old 02-13-2015, 04:46 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member

Just no

Old 02-13-2015, 05:21 PM

Monte of the Month -- February 2015
Monte Of The Month -- April 2017
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

well rats

Old 02-13-2015, 05:48 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

GM may talk 2015 Monte Carlo or get other people talking about it, reallity is, for years GM is like a kid that can't keep a secret. Cars like the 5th gen Camaro and the Pontiac Solstice, GM talked about for 3-5 years before you had a production model you could buy (by then, some consumers lost interest).

So if this article is legit at all, GM is probably:
1. - 2015, Gauging interest in the label
2. - 2016, MIGHT have a concept Monte Carlo
3. - 2019-2022 - You might stand a chance of buying one at a dealership

I love the Monte, but it's been gone for a while, not sure GM has any real interest to bring it back. I also get concerned when a manufacturer resurrects a name plate, will it live up to it's former name sake? Will it be better, or worse. Hard to say.

Old 02-13-2015, 06:23 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Every year, during auto show season especially, Monte enthusiasts resurrect talk of a new Monte. And every year, GM says it ain't gonna happen. I wish it would happen. But I'm not holding my breath.

The Monte would cut into sales of Chevy's other models. That's the way GM sees it. Doesn't matter if we agree or not, that's how GM sees it.

Don't forget, the Monte is not the only nameplate that enthusiasts keep hoping for. Chevelle and El Camino fans keep hoping those nameplates will return also.

If any former nameplate does return, you can count on GM making it the way GM wants it. Not necessarily the way enthusiasts want it. Like when GM brought the Nova back about a decade or so ago. It came back as a 4 cylinder pizza delivery car. Because GM was hoping to sell yet another compact car to the public, using a retro nameplate to try and boost its' sales numbers. Failed miserably.

If GM brings back the Monte, it will be in a form that won't compete with their precious Corvette and Camaro. Most likely in the form of a re-branded FWD V6. But that would be too close to the Malibu. Which is a decent seller for GM. So once again, that kills the idea of bringing back the Monte.

Right now GM is in love with 4 and 6 cylinder economy cars to compete with the imports. Keeping only a select few performance cars; the Corvette, Camaro, and CTS-V. GM's message is simple. If you want performance buy a Camaro or Corvette. If you want luxury sport, buy a Cadillac.

In my opinion, GM blew it with the Camaro. They "leaked" info on the new Camaro to guage interest. And gave Chrysler plenty of time to put out the new Challenger. Chrysler sold millions of new Challengers before the first Camaro rolled off the assembly line.

Old 02-14-2015, 08:45 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

One other reason the Monte may never see the light of day again... the GTO.

GM brought back the GTO nameplate in 04-06. The plan was to test the waters with a re-branded Holden Monaro, to guage interest. Then, if things went well, GM was going to design a new GTO from the ground up.

The 04-06 GTO was a beast of a car. The 06 had a 6.0 litre Corvette engine, tuned down to 400 hp from the factory. But had potential for a lot more.

At first glance, the new GTO is what people were asking for, since the death of the Camaro in 2002. A RWD coupe with tons of power, and a retro nameplate. And in the mid 2000's when most GM cars were hovering around the 200 hp range, a mid-size coupe with 400 horses was a beast in comparison.

The new GTO should've been a success. But it wasn't. Why? Purists. GTO purists criticized and hated it. It wasn't American, it was a re-branded Australian car, it didn't look like the classic 1960's GTO's, it looked like a Grand Am on steroids, and so on. I read and heard so many hate-filled comments about it.

Again, the 04-06 GTO's were only meant to sell for 3 years. After that, GM would build a totally re-designed GTO depending on sales. Sales were horrible. With only about 40,000 GTO's being sold in those 3 years. Of course it didn't help that GM refused to sell them outside the U.S.

But the moral of this story is this. They're not going to take a chance on an old nameplate again unless it's a sure thing. Bringing the Camaro back was a sure thing. GM had a hole in it's line-up, and millions of Camaro fans screaming for it's return. The Monte Carlo doesn't have anywhere near that many fans anymore.

To make the purists happy, GM would have to take a gamble on creating a 4th gen based Monte. They learned from the GTO that re-branding doesn't sell. And for the number of us that are Monte enthusiasts, there's not enough guaranteed interest to spend the time and money creating a new Monte that is most likely to be a poor seller.

GM had millions of Camaro fans beating down their door for 8 years before GM brought it back to the line-up. I just don't see that happening for the Monte Carlo.

I would like to see a new Monte. I'd buy a new Monte. I just don't see it happening.

Last edited by Taz; 02-14-2015 at 08:56 AM.
Old 02-14-2015, 12:34 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2015
Monte Of The Month -- February 2011
10 Year Member

I dint like the design shown no Monte beauty lines.

Old 02-14-2015, 01:40 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

@Taz - Funny you mention the El Camino in your one post. It exists, but it's made by GM's Australian brand Holden and it's known as a UTE. Nice looking ride, never came to North America that I'm aware of.

And as mentioned, the last gen GTO angered the GTO purists, one reason was it was the first GTO not to have hood scoops (added later). It is a re-badged Holden Monaro. I'm not a GTO purist, I've driven that car and I loved it for what it is, a sweet freaking ride. Honestly, had I known my Monte would become more of a toy car then a daily driver, I probably would have become a GTO owner instead, but I have no regrets in my car choices (the Monte has brought me a lot of great friends that I've had the pleasure to meet some of them in person). But, if I win the lotto, well, I'll be looking for a GTO (and keeping the Monte

Quick Reply: Is this True???