Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

top ten cars that dont deserve their engines

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 08:59 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: top ten cars that dont deserve their engines

Just some quick thoughts on their top ten list:

1. Impala - The SS needs better styling than just a family grocery-getter with an "SS" badge.

2. Marauder - I remember reading in Consumer Reports that this car was Furd`s attempt to give the people an off-the-lot car that gets as close to the police performance package as the public was allowed by Furd. Only needed the strobe lights to complete the package.

3. Caliber - don`t care. My neighbour has one. She likes it. "Peppy".

4. Dodge Spirit - In the day, this was an average looking daily driver with cool fog lights. I saw many bingo mommas drive this one. Really.

5. Taurus SHO - Looks too much like the base model Taurus. Only outside difference was the letters S-H-O embossed into the rear bumper. Too boring looking.

6. Olds Achieva SCX - Would`ve been much better if it didn`t get stuck with Oldsmobile`s "old man car" image of the 90`s. This is what GM should've done with it's Pontiac Grand Am cousin. Which shared the same platform.

7. Lambo LM002 -A huge Hummer-esque vehicle with a sports car engine.

8. Saab 9-7x Aero - don`t care.

9. Omni GLH-S Shelby -A friend of mine had one back in the day. Fast car. Not one of Carrol Shelby`s finer moments. AShelby tuned pizza delivery car.I hope Shelby got paidwell for tarnishing his image with this one.

10. Syclone/Typhoon - Had huge potential if it wasn`t for thesuspension problems, and the fact that most people mistook them for everyday Chevy Blazers.

Old 01-17-2009, 10:11 PM

I totally agree w/ that impala being on there. I remember when the base impala's first hit dealer lots- I was very unimpressed with how they went to such bland styling after having the more unique body style of the last gen. The salesperson told me 'just wait until you see the SS, its like a totally different car'.

When I saw my first new SS impala- it was backed into the spot, and I didn't even realize it was an SS until I walked around and saw the badging. They just stick a little extra chrome and a different engine- but it still looks just as bland as the regular versions.

I think the SHO was the other one that really stuck out to me. Why have such a unique powerplant, and only limit it to your 4 door family hauler? At least gm put the 5.3 in the monte, so people could get a sporty car if they wanted. I really think they should've offered that SHO engine in the Probe or something.

Old 01-17-2009, 10:35 PM

keep in mind that they were also planning completely different drivetrain for both the impala and monte. the impala supposidly went through a couple of restylings for the fwd powerplant. while the monte did not becasue they just borrowed the majority of its styling from the previous years. but i will agree that the SS badge does not mean what it used to