Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Top 10 Best-Selling Cars: February 2012

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 06:10 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Question Top 10 Best-Selling Cars: February 2012

Kelsey Mays Cars.com 5:50 p.m. CST, March 1, 2012

Chrysler and Hyundai saw big increases in February sales as shoppers, spurred by positive economic news and rising personal income, hit dealerships to find incentives remain high. Dealer and manufacturer discounts, including trade-in bonuses and discount financing, totaled 16.1% off the average car's MSRP in early February, CNW Market Research reports. That's about even with January but much higher than February 2011's 13.3% in total discounts.
Sales for Ford's F-Series improved 25.9%, with the V-6 model — both naturally aspirated and EcoBoost (turbocharged) models — accounting for nearly 60% of sales. The Escape, an SUV that made the best-selling list for nine months running, dropped off as sales increased a modest 3.7%. Ford keeps piling on Escape incentives — up versus February 2011 — but perhaps enough shoppers are waiting for its replacement.
The redesigned Toyota Camry maintained a thin lead over the Nissan Altima to remain America's best-selling sedan, despite the Altima selling nearly 60% better. Nissan is cleaning up: Altima incentives are just a tad higher than they were a year ago, and the car is selling despite being in its twilight years. A redesigned Altima will debut at next month's New York auto show.
AAA reports the national price for a gallon of regular unleaded gas rose 17 cents in February. Unsurprisingly, shoppers moved toward fuel-efficient choices. January's 10 best-sellers included five SUVs or pickup trucks. This month, that figure dropped to four. Sales of the Toyota Prius, which is still the most fuel-efficient car without a plug, jumped 52.1% and landed the car just two spots off the list. Given that analysts say gas prices could spike even higher, the Prius could soon make its first appearance on the best-sellers' list since October 2009.
GM sales improved just 1.1%, but Ford sales improved 14.4% to remain America's second-place automaker for the first two months of 2012. Witness the shift in the redesigned Ford Focus, which was starved for inventory through much of last year. It overtook the rival Chevrolet Cruze for the first time since the 2012 Focus arrived last April, with sales improving 114.6%. GM's only solace? Cruze sales come with little incentive, while Ford discounts the Focus as much as $2,000. That's about even with a year ago, but a lot of incentives for a redesigned compact.
Behind GM and Ford, Toyota sales improved 12.4%, while hard-charging Chrysler gained 40.4%. Honda, Nissan and Hyundai round out the top seven carmakers in February sales, and they are in the same order as in January's list. Including its Kia affiliate, Hyundai sales improved 26.0%, the second-largest increase of the top seven automakers.

sns-top-10-best-selling-cars-february-2012-20120301

Old 03-02-2012, 06:40 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Not a good turn out for GM. I can't believe people still buy Corolla's. Toyota is so far behind everyone in that segment...

Old 03-02-2012, 07:02 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Good Morn'in `Brent,
I was also surprised that GM isn't doing better I just think that the USA with all it's resources & talents should be able to make & sell better cars then S.Korea's Hyundai's KIA's (My grandfather call the KIA's ->Kill In Action- He's a old Vietnam Vet & he hates the name of the KIA)

I see them everywhere...& they seem to be building cars that people want & are buying...I also don't understand why USA can't compete in the warranty department...10Year 100K Warranty against USA 3/36 or 5yr 100K...I think USA automakers better step up their game & get back in2 the auto race 4-Sure...

p.s. How's your Volvo V70 doing...Do you like it ? Let us know ? I like the one with the 300 HP Turbo..There's one in my area that's All Black/Lowered a little with nice rims & dark tint...Plus Surf Boards on the Top....Looks AweSome
Wish you & readers a SuperDay & WeekEnd

Last edited by Space; 03-02-2012 at 07:06 AM.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:06 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by JuniorCar
Not a good turn out for GM. I can't believe people still buy Corolla's. Toyota is so far behind everyone in that segment...
Probably already owned a corolla and did a lease swap.

Old 03-02-2012, 08:18 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by Space
Good Morn'in `Brent,
I was also surprised that GM isn't doing better I just think that the USA with all it's resources & talents should be able to make & sell better cars then S.Korea's Hyundai's KIA's (My grandfather call the KIA's ->Kill In Action- He's a old Vietnam Vet & he hates the name of the KIA)

I see them everywhere...& they seem to be building cars that people want & are buying...I also don't understand why USA can't compete in the warranty department...10Year 100K Warranty against USA 3/36 or 5yr 100K...I think USA automakers better step up their game & get back in2 the auto race 4-Sure...

p.s. How's your Volvo V70 doing...Do you like it ? Let us know ? I like the one with the 300 HP Turbo..There's one in my area that's All Black/Lowered a little with nice rims & dark tint...Plus Surf Boards on the Top....Looks AweSome
Wish you & readers a SuperDay & WeekEnd
That v70 sounds like the BlackPearl. Our Volvo has been dubbed the BlackPearl and I sprung for the vanity plates "BLAQPERL" as a gift to the wife over the holidays. Its her car, more or less. I just own it, but I like it a fair bit. She probably blows more money on it then I do the BudChev, but she's got some neat freebies working at the Volvo dealership. I still think Volvo sucks because they do so little to contribute to our economy. No motorsports, little advertising or endorsements. Just take the checks and send 'em back to Sweden

I don't think Kia is really trying to market to ur grandfather 'Space! I can understand why he wouldn't like that name, but they could probably find a successful market using "killed in action" as a slogan. maybe not.

The key to ending the Corollas success is to stop buying them. They are not nearly as successful in sales in Canada. Elantra, Cruze and Focus all sell better here now. I was surprised Elantra didn't make that list as it is one of the biggest sellers in Canada

Old 03-02-2012, 08:21 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

Gm trucks is all thats on the list, doesnt suprise me any though

Old 03-02-2012, 08:40 PM

Altima selling as well as it is is definitely good news for me since I build seats for them. I'm looking forward to seeing what they look like. I've heard they look really really good.

Old 08-25-2012, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by Space

Kelsey Mays Cars.com 5:50 p.m. CST, March 1, 2012

Chrysler and Hyundai saw big increases in February sales as shoppers, spurred by positive economic news and rising personal income, hit dealerships to find incentives remain high. Dealer and manufacturer discounts, including trade-in bonuses and discount financing, totaled 16.1% off the average car's MSRP in early February, CNW Market Research reports. That's about even with January but much higher than February 2011's 13.3% in total discounts.
Sales for Ford's F-Series improved 25.9%, with the V-6 model — both naturally aspirated and EcoBoost (turbocharged) models — accounting for nearly 60% of sales. The Escape, an SUV that made the best-selling list for nine months running, dropped off as sales increased a modest 3.7%. Ford keeps piling on Escape incentives — up versus February 2011 — but perhaps enough shoppers are waiting for its replacement.
The redesigned Toyota Camry maintained a thin lead over the Nissan Altima to remain America's best-selling sedan, despite the Altima selling nearly 60% better. Nissan is cleaning up: Altima incentives are just a tad higher than they were a year ago, and the car is selling despite being in its twilight years. A redesigned Altima will debut at next month's New York auto show.
AAA reports the national price for a gallon of regular unleaded gas rose 17 cents in February. Unsurprisingly, shoppers moved toward fuel-efficient choices. January's 10 best-sellers included five SUVs or pickup trucks. This month, that figure dropped to four. Sales of the Toyota Prius, which is still the most fuel-efficient car without a plug, jumped 52.1% and landed the car just two spots off the list. Given that analysts say gas prices could spike even higher, the Prius could soon make its first appearance on the best-sellers' list since October 2009.
GM sales improved just 1.1%, but Ford sales improved 14.4% to remain America's second-place automaker for the first two months of 2012. Witness the shift in the redesigned Ford Focus, which was starved for inventory through much of last year. It overtook the rival Chevrolet Cruze for the first time since the 2012 Focus arrived last April, with sales improving 114.6%. GM's only solace? Cruze sales come with little incentive, while Ford discounts the Focus as much as $2,000. That's about even with a year ago, but a lot of incentives for a redesigned compact.
Behind GM and Ford, Toyota sales improved 12.4%, while hard-charging Chrysler gained 40.4%. Honda, Nissan and Hyundai round out the top seven carmakers in February sales, and they are in the same order as in January's list. Including its Kia affiliate, Hyundai sales improved 26.0%, the second-largest increase of the top seven automakers.

sns-top-10-best-selling-cars-february-2012-20120301

Thanks for sharing this information about Cars .... This information is very helpful for me ........
Please share some more information about cars ..