Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Tires

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 12:08 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Tires

No. I didn't post this in the wrong section.

Why? Cause pretty much all our newer Montes came with 16 & 17 inch tires and I'm looking for a source for 14 inch tires. Anyone know of one??????

I tried the Tire Rack. It appears 14 inch tires are becoming obsolete? Cause when I bought tires for my other '57 Hardtop there were serveral listings for 14 inch tires. Now......... there's one. BFG T/A radials.

Yes. I like the looks of the T/A radials. But. I already own 2 sets on 2 of my other '57s and I don't want them all (the '57s) looking the same. So if I could find another source for 14 inch tires I'd appeciate it.

I tried Coker Tire. Unless I looked at the site wrong, I can not find tires in the sizes I want.

205/70/14
245/60/14

A 215/70 and possibly a 225/60 would work. But Tire Rack as no listing for a 255/60/14 tire.

People on Chevy Talk and Tri-5.com posted to try Summit Racing. I know Summit will be higher in price compared to Tire Rack. And as always, the budget it tight.

Any suggestions?

Old 01-03-2011, 12:12 PM
rj
15 Year Member

PS. the tires are for my very first car.

I have the itch to work on it again. (Duane, you're partly to blame here)

so far I've:
primed the firewall.
cleaned/painted the steering linkage.
re-installed the doors.
put Cragar S/S wheels back on after 23 years.
cleaned/painted the engine this past spring.
cleaned/painted the front section of the frame.

Plans are to have the car roaring and moving under it's own power by summer.

Old 01-03-2011, 12:18 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

you are right 14's are becoming obsolite... one thing you could see is 80's monte and s10 listings i think the bigist you'll find is like 215/70r14 that arn't bf T/a's

it's unfortunate, realisticly cars nowa days cars come with 15+
the one's that come with 14's are like 185/195 60/65 r14

Old 01-03-2011, 12:20 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2009

i know my dad had the same problem trying to find tires for his set of torq thrust knock off wheels for his '57. finally found a set in our budget, 4 mastercraft avenger G/T raised white letter radials. got 'em for $150 bucks.....

because they were used. a guy who works at an auto parts store down by where he works had 'em on his '68 GTO for one season before upgrading to 15" wheels. hate to say it RJ, but 14" tires are DAMN hard to find, and expensive as hell for whats avalible.

Old 01-03-2011, 01:02 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member

Sorry RJ - I was going to suggest Coker Tire, but you already checked there.

Old 01-03-2011, 01:41 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

What I could find so far...

205/70/14

http://www.sfxperformance.com/parts/TOY143250.htm

and also this search on www.BelleTire.com

__________________________________________________ ________

Geostar GS70

Read or Write a Review

Size: 205/70R14 95T
UTQG: 480 A B
Speed Rating: T - Up to 118mph
Sidewall: BW
Performance: Highway All-Season
$52.00 per tire

About Our Pricing Found it lower?

The Nankang GS70 Touring tire provides all year traction at an affordable price. It features a 4 year pro-rated manufacturer/factory defect warranty and a computer designed tread pattern. Shoulder sipes bite into snow to provide traction while quad aqua channels wisk away water.

__________________________________________________ ____________

Milestar MS70 AS

View Tread Image
Read or Write a Review

Size: 205/70R14 93T
UTQG: 400 A A
Performance: Highway All-Season
$52.00 per tire

T-rated for improved handling and performance All season tread design Steel belted construction for durability and performance

__________________________________________________ _________

Sumitomo HTR T4

View Tread Image
Read or Write a Review

Size: P205/70R14 93T
UTQG: 560 A B
Warranty: 75000
Performance: High Perfomance All-Season
$63.00 per tire

* Super Computer Designed Tread Pattern - Achieves well-balanced performance across a full range of vehicles, through differing weather and road conditions, while ensuring superb treadwear, noise and ride comfort levels * Multi Radius Tread Profile - Provides uniform contact pressure providing improved treadwear and traction * Fine Grained Carbon Tread Compound - Provides all season capability yet durable long tread life * Four, Wide Straight Circumferential Tread Grooves - Allow exceptional water drainage for superb anti-hydroplaning * Club-Shaped Sipe Leading toward Wide Lateral Groove - Assists in water drainage and assures all season performance * Two in One Shoulder Blocks with Jointless Nylon Edge Bands - Provide excellent cornering traction, durability and security * Chaos Tread Block Arrangement - Based upon five pitch tread sequence, dramatically reduces tire noise for an unbelievably quiet ride * Multi Siped Tread Blocks - For maximum all season capability

__________________________________________________ ________

Falken SINCERA TOURING SN211

View Tread Image
Read or Write a Review

Size: P205/70R14 93T
UTQG: 720 A B
Warranty: 80000
Sidewall: WS
Performance: High Perfomance All-Season
$71.00 per tire

Falken Tire has designed and built a dynamic high mileage performance touring tire, which fits the needs of a wide market of vehicles. With an 80,000 limited mileage warranty, the SN211 offers long-term confidence and mile-after-mile comfort. Technological advantages are readily apparent through a variable sipe depth design, four optimized circumferential grooves and treadwear indicators. Best of all, the SN211 delivers maximum value and superb year-round performance.

Old 01-03-2011, 05:26 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I've seen a few older cars roaming about with Uniroyal Tiger Paw's, whereever you might find those. I've seen some really plain looking black walls running around too. The old Coker's are expensive compared to what you can get in that tire size anyway.... I thought about some Firestone Wide Oval reproductions or some Good Year Polyglas for my Torino... ended up with a good ol' set of BF Goodrich Radial T/A's.

And, I'm glad I could be an inspiration. Perhaps we should have a few of us meet up somewhere with our older restoration cars.

Last edited by Cowboy6622; 01-03-2011 at 07:12 PM.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:38 AM
rj
15 Year Member

I guess Doc at Tire Rack is having more fun filling his coffee cup cause I sure ain't heard back from him?????????????

Guess if I want to continue the search, I'll have to call them. (nice customer service. not really)

I told Debbie I know it's not smart buying tires for a car that as of this moment, doesn't even run. But I'm afraid if I wait a couple months there won't be ANY 14 inch tires left to buy.

I also went with the "I can use them on something else if need be." excuse.

Ever get the feeling no matter how hard you work or try, you just can't get anything done? I know it's just nervousness on my part. But that's how I feel.

Old 01-05-2011, 12:26 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Why don't you call a local tire store? I called M&H Tires in Creedmoor, NC and they had BF Goodrich Radial T/A's and Uniroyal Tiger Paw's back in August.... in stock. I like the look of the Radial T/A better though.

Old 01-06-2011, 12:00 PM
rj
15 Year Member

Tires Unlimited on Wadsworth in Dayton has been a favorite of mine for years. I was thinking of calling them just to see how close they were to Tire Rack pricing?

And I just called Tire Rack. Justin says BFGs are the only tires they now sell in the sizes I want.

I know some have mentioned trying Summit Racing. I would but it's always been my experience for things like tires Summit & Jeg's are on the pricey side.

Quick Reply: Tires