Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Member's BLOG: Thursday, April 25th 2013

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 08:03 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Good mornin' all. It looks like the forum staff went through some changes overnight. Congrats to all involved.

Old 04-25-2013, 08:12 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Good morning again.

Got some stuff to do around the house. Errands to run. And gonna check into seeing if a new computer desk is in the budget or not. I'm not sure the one I have now will survive the move to the new house. It's one of those assemble your self things made out of sawdust with a wood grain sticker on the panels. I moved it a couple times from one side of the room to the other. Just to paint the room. And it's gotten looser and looser each time I moved it. Plus it's scratched up and damaged in a couple places.

But money is really tight right now.

Who woulda thought buying a home would be expensive.

Old 04-25-2013, 08:15 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member

Buying a house sucks you dry! I don't even want to think about all the money i'd have if it wasn't for my house. LOL But I love it, so its a good investment for sure.

Old 04-25-2013, 08:15 AM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2013
10 Year Member

Good morning!

It seems like every time I do my research to find the original certificate I get closer and closer!!
I had a idea to mass e-mail as many dealerships in Syracuse, NY about my situation & one dealer (who I believe sold it) gave me information to the original seller. A company called Qek Industries. They are the ones working in the background for big auto debuts like the NY auto show. It was originally sold to the Syracuse dealership with 5,000 miles(explains why the original owner said he got it at a amazing price) I just left a message now. I really hope they call back!

Old 04-25-2013, 08:19 AM

Morning All. Think today we're gonna have some great weather here in KC Area!
I think I'm gonna pull that EGR off the '98 3.1 LS again & clean it up with some seafoam spray as well as the throttle-body - see if i can get the "service Engine Soon" light off.
The car seems to run really good though?? LOL!

Have a great day!

-Mark.

Old 04-25-2013, 08:21 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

Originally Posted by Taz
...gonna check into seeing if a new computer desk is in the budget or not. I'm not sure the one I have now will survive the move to the new house. It's one of those assemble your self things made out of sawdust with a wood grain sticker on the panels. I moved it a couple times from one side of the room to the other. Just to paint the room. And it's gotten looser and looser each time I moved it. Plus it's scratched up and damaged in a couple places.

But money is really tight right now.
A friend of mine has one of those press board desks and it did the same thing. It seems like movement causes the screws to dig into the board and cause it to crumble. He fixed his with toothpicks and Elmer's glue. He squirted glue into the holes, then filled the hole with toothpicks. After the glue dried he broke off the ends of the toothpicks flush and put the screw back in. He did one screw at a time so he didn't have to disassemble the desk. It must have done the trick because that was well over a year ago and he's still using the same desk.

Old 04-25-2013, 08:25 AM
Taz

15 Year Member

Originally Posted by Red Nightmare
Good morning!

It seems like every time I do my research to find the original certificate I get closer and closer!!
I had a idea to mass e-mail as many dealerships in Syracuse, NY about my situation & one dealer (who I believe sold it) gave me information to the original seller. A company called Qek Industries. They are the ones working in the background for big auto debuts like the NY auto show. It was originally sold to the Syracuse dealership with 5,000 miles(explains why the original owner said he got it at a amazing price) I just left a message now. I really hope they call back!
This is just pure speculation on my part. I could be wrong. But I have to think that the really low build numbered cars were used for promotional purposes. Or went to executives at GM. Then sold off when the promotion was done, or the executive didn't want it anymore. Especially yours being a single digit build number.

Maybe Dale Jr actually sat behind the wheel of your car, Jen. Or it could be the actual car in the picture on the "hero cards".

Old 04-25-2013, 08:33 AM
Taz

15 Year Member

Originally Posted by 03SSLE
A friend of mine has one of those press board desks and it did the same thing. It seems like movement causes the screws to dig into the board and cause it to crumble. He fixed his with toothpicks and Elmer's glue. He squirted glue into the holes, then filled the hole with toothpicks. After the glue dried he broke off the ends of the toothpicks flush and put the screw back in. He did one screw at a time so he didn't have to disassemble the desk. It must have done the trick because that was well over a year ago and he's still using the same desk.

Thanks for the tip. Now that you mention it, it reminded me that we used to do that at work for temporary fixes.

That's definitely something I may have to do if buying a new one isn't in the budget. But the wood grain sticker is in pretty bad shape too. Scraped up, and gouged in a few spots. And the desk top is permanently bowed from years of having a CRT style 19" monitor on it. I have an LCD monitor now. But the top of the desk is permanently bowed now. This thing was never really designed to hold the weight of a 19" CRT monitor I guess.

Maybe I can win the lottery?

Old 04-25-2013, 08:34 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Jen:
You may want to contact The General Motors Tech Center here in Warren Mi.
(586) 575-6260

They might possibly be able to get/give you some info as to find your certs.. (They do all the high tech stuff)
Hope this helps!

Old 04-25-2013, 08:48 AM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2013
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Taz
This is just pure speculation on my part. I could be wrong. But I have to think that the really low build numbered cars were used for promotional purposes. Or went to executives at GM. Then sold off when the promotion was done, or the executive didn't want it anymore. Especially yours being a single digit build number.

Maybe Dale Jr actually sat behind the wheel of your car, Jen. Or it could be the actual car in the picture on the "hero cards".
oh my god that would be crazy if it was!!!
& I'm calling their number now. I hope they can help! -edit: Ok, it leads to a voicemail with no voice mailbox... sweet. I'll try again later

Last edited by Red Nightmare; 04-25-2013 at 08:52 AM.

Quick Reply: Member's BLOG: Thursday, April 25th 2013