Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Thieves using Mystery Gadget to Unlock cars.

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 12:23 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2014
1 Year Member

Nice thing is also that people don't know what my car is, so its nots their first idea to break into it. Its not a very common car. I'm most worried about my car when its at my house or a friends house over night. I don't like leaving the car where I am not. Other than that I park in well lit areas. When its at home if the alarm goes off I'm up from a dead sleep and downstairs with my handgun loaded in under a minute. (Left my trunk popped but not open and a cat set the alarm off)

Old 01-02-2014, 12:53 PM

New Law > Breaking into vehicles or homes.
Penalty > Life in a prison work camp..

After law passed there has been very few break in's...

Hacking in2 other accounts personal or business > Death Penalty
(Hacking also has now decreased)...

Old 01-02-2014, 03:56 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by 03SSLE
LOL...there you go! And don't plaster your windows with a shopping list of the parts you have on your car for the thief.
That is a huge issue police keep telling people. You wouldn't put stickers on the front window of your house advertising your laptop, the size of your big screen tv, and the expensive jewelry. Stop putting a shopping list on the windows of your car.

As far as I'm concerned, car club stickers are different. I may be biased because of the MCF stickers. But to me, seeing a sticker for NYMCC, NMCOA, or MCF just shows people you have friends. Not expensive equipment.

Old 01-02-2014, 04:00 PM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Taz

That is a huge issue police keep telling people. You wouldn't put stickers on the front window of your house advertising your laptop, the size of your big screen tv, and the expensive jewelry. Stop putting a shopping list on the windows of your car.

As far as I'm concerned, car club stickers are different. I may be biased because of the MCF stickers. But to me, seeing a sticker for NYMCC, NMCOA, or MCF just shows people you have friends. Not expensive equipment.
I see the "kenwood" stickers on $500 hondas all the time and just wonder how long before the car is gone. I have zzperformance decals on the car but I didn't think about this kind of stuff at the time.

Old 01-02-2014, 04:12 PM
Taz

15 Year Member

Oh yeah...

I've seen people walking through mall parking lots with a standard keyfob in their hand, pressing buttons as they walk. Just regular everyday looking people who would blend right into a crowd if they ever had to run away in a hurry.

This is a huge problem in every major city. This has been going on for years. Ever since cars started coming standard with a remote keyfob. Disconnecting the car battery everytime you park your car is just going to give you computer issues with your car. Try to keep valuables out of sight, and lock your car. And stop advertising your ten bajillion watt amp on your back window. Unless you work for nascar, you don't need contingency stickers all over your car.

Old 01-02-2014, 05:00 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by 03SSLE
LOL...there you go! And don't plaster your windows with a shopping list of the parts you have on your car for the thief.
I like that and TOTALLY agree! It's painting a BIG target.

Originally Posted by Taz
Plus a car club sticker by itself doesn't say anything about what's in the car either.

Originally Posted by dbaldwin
I see the "kenwood" stickers on $500 hondas all the time and just wonder how long before the car is gone.
Who knows, perhaps they don't own any of the stuff they have sticker on their cars for.
In the end, whether you have the gear or not, putting a sticker for a brand or product on your car is adverting (advertising both to thieves and advertising for the company).
Unless the company is paying me to sponsor their product, I'll pass on stickering my car (but I will sticker my tool boxes in my garage ).

But I don't have a problem putting a sticker about my car club affiliations on my car (usually a window somewhere).

Old 01-02-2014, 05:44 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I lost about 400 in tools once because a back door power lock didn't lock. Since then I never leave anything of value in the car anymore. I do have a small sub and amp in the Monte but it only cost $50 so if it was stolen it wouldn't really be to terrible.

Old 01-02-2014, 06:49 PM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by lougreen03
I lost about 400 in tools once because a back door power lock didn't lock. Since then I never leave anything of value in the car anymore. I do have a small sub and amp in the Monte but it only cost $50 so if it was stolen it wouldn't really be to terrible.
I was looking at the cost of my subs and amp today new. I don't want to ever have to replace those

Old 01-02-2014, 08:28 PM
Taz

15 Year Member

Originally Posted by The_Maniac

In the end, whether you have the gear or not, putting a sticker for a brand or product on your car is adverting (advertising both to thieves and advertising for the company).
Unless the company is paying me to sponsor their product, I'll pass on stickering my car (but I will sticker my tool boxes in my garage ).

But I don't have a problem putting a sticker about my car club affiliations on my car (usually a window somewhere).
And that's an exception I can accept. If you have paid sponsors, then obviously you're obligated to have their brand name somewhere. But those cars are usually show cars anyway. They're not typical daily drivers, and don't usually sit out in someone's driveway unprotected.

If you really want to show off what you have in the car at meets and shows, make yourself one of those info boards.

Old 01-02-2014, 08:32 PM
1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Taz

And that's an exception I can accept. If you have paid sponsors, then obviously you're obligated to have their brand name somewhere. But those cars are usually show cars anyway. They're not typical daily drivers, and don't usually sit out in someone's driveway unprotected.
I wouldn't say unprotected...

Thieves using Mystery Gadget to Unlock cars.-forumrunner_20140102_183049.jpg

Not that one really. But I protect myself and hopefully never have to worry about my car.

Quick Reply: Thieves using Mystery Gadget to Unlock cars.