Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Theft...3rd time!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 08:06 PM
Default RE: Theft...3rd time!

ORIGINAL: Taz
I saw something on the tv news yesterday that said OnStar is going to look into expanding their capabilities to help police in a car chase situation. The police would contact OnStar with the vehicle's info, and OnStar will be able to remotely disable the accelerator. The car thief can press on the pedal all he wants, the PCM won't do anything.
Uh oh, where's my wire cutters? I don't plan on running, but I would not feel safe at all if they were able to do that to me, I mean what if I'm going down the road with someone on my *** and someone at OnStar leans on the wrong button?

Old 09-15-2008, 08:37 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month - April 2008

I saw something on the tv news yesterday that said OnStar is going to look into expanding their capabilities to help police in a car chase situation. The police would contact OnStar with the vehicle's info, and OnStar will be able to remotely disable the accelerator. The car thief can press on the pedal all he wants, the PCM won't do anything.
The unlocking your doors,wreck recovery, stolen vehicle recovery partsof Onstar are nice (well, would be, I don't have it, LOL), but it's kinda scary what they can do remotely. Spy on you, follow you, listen to you, kill your pedal...

Old 09-15-2008, 09:47 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I don't subscribe to OnStar, but I still have the original analog OnStar system in my Monte.
But I've always wondered if the people at OnStar can just punch up any OnStar equipped car at random, and just listen to the conversation without the owner knowing it.

Makes you think before you do any in-car karaoke.

Old 09-16-2008, 01:15 PM

Sad to hear your car got broken into again. I have had my monte for over an year know and never had an issue and I ride around with an 8 in. touch screen on the dash no window tint either. I live In the Philly metro area so crime is abundant. Seems that luck is not on your side my friend maybe a viper alarm would help pricey but it can notify you when you are within a certain range.
Wonder if there are after market door handles for the monte?
Maybe for the 00-05? Anyone know?
Google here I come....

I talked to the cops again and they told me that I could kill a person for breaking into my car and it would be perfectly legal if I say, "they were trying to car-jack me, they said they had a weapon and I was in fear for my life." When you call the police, they don't do anything but give you a report # and ask if anything was taken. They don't fingerprint the car or anything.
I wouldn't listen to the cops regarding the shooting at someone breaking into your car, if they are carjacking you yes you can otherwise just call the cops. If you try to interviene and it escalates into a shooting you can be charged. If you just open up on 'em you will be charged. And it will be the same cop thats gonna arrest you.
Check with a local lawyer regarding your states laws on the use of deadly force. Cuz I am not a lwayer and I dont give legal advice.

Old 09-16-2008, 02:50 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Yes, I will check with a lawyer, because on the police side of things they aren't likely to charge me with a crime if I do what he said do. I can think of a few cases in the St. Louis area when someone was killed trying to rob someone and no charges were filed. One of those people was a friend of mine who killed a car-jacker with an illegal gun, the cops didn't even care, they were just happy another car-jacker was off the streets.

But if the car thief has family members they can sue me in civil court and I possibly win. The officer told me whenever a suspect gets killed there is usually a lawsuit against the police department and/or the officer involved. The police officers have protection against those lawsuits, but I dont.

Old 09-16-2008, 05:54 PM

Somethign else you might want to think of. about shooting at someone.
Belive me i have had to do this and know what it is like to know you have killed a person in a situation of your life or thiers. (while in Iraq)

Think of this also. you have to worry about all of thier family feeling like they need to take some revenge on you,
you will need to worry about the fact you will still be arrested till it is determined that the case was you protecting your life or your family etc....
the burden of proof is on you to prove you feard for you life.
and i would say the biggest thing to think of is for the rest of your life your going to have that person and that night etched in to your mind and belive me you will never forget that persons face never!!

so there is a lot to it to think of over and above a monte carlo tha tyou care about. I understand your feelings if you do a search here you can see the damage that was recently done to my car when all was said and done i finally decided that sellign it was well worth more to me then killing someone over it. i had it cleaned out and cost over 5,000 in damage and stereo equipment.

i relise everyone thinks diffrently but you will never know till you have to pull that trigger how you will sleep for the rest of yoru life. Also remeber this if you have a hand gun or rifel if you bring it out to defned your self you had better be prepared to use it and possiabely be shot your self.
so in short
Is it really worth the life some one for the price of fixing your car?
Get a alarm it is alot better bang for your buck. and also safer

Old 09-16-2008, 08:01 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

My first choice would never be to kill someone, but honestly it does cross my mind when this happens to me so often. I have the factory alarm on my car and it worked because when I got back to my car it said "Theft Attempted" on my screen.My door wasn’t even closed all the way. Every time this happens I have to decide if I am going to pay another $500 deductible. If I keep making insurance claims I will have higher insurance rates soon. If I keep paying an extra $500 dollars every month along with my car-payment & insurance payment I will have to file bankruptcy. I have decided that I am NOT going to let this keep happening, but even if I did go crazy and attempt to shoot the thief everytime this happens then I would be a serial killer. I don’t want that.

I’ve had the viper alarm before on my Grand Prix and they still broke in that car, broke my glove-box off the dash and didn’t care that the alarm was sounding the whole time. I was out of range so my remote didn’t page me.

Old 09-16-2008, 08:24 PM
Photobucket

I don't subscribe to OnStar, but I still have the original analog OnStar system in my Monte.
But I've always wondered if the people at OnStar can just punch up any OnStar equipped car at random, and just listen to the conversation without the owner knowing it.

Makes you think before you do any in-car karaoke.
Same here, except does the analog still work?
And I've thought the same too - but if the analog no longer works...

Every since I got my car last October, my Onstar green light is on part of the time and red the rest. It shouldn't ever be green as I've never subscribed. ooooh, maybe that's when their listening LOL

Old 09-16-2008, 08:32 PM
Photobucket

Killing someone over a car would be stupid (even if they do desrve it - in a twisted sort of way), that's something you'd have to live with forever. Now if your life or someone else's life is in danger, that's another story.
Not saying I wouldn't shot them in the foot or something for stealing mine, but I wouldn't kill them. But they'd think twice about it next time. Shoot in the a$$ with a high power bb gun, lol, my husband's cousin has a bb in her butt because someone acting stupid shot her, it's been in there for years.

Old 09-16-2008, 09:15 PM

lol I have a frend that still has one in his hand from his older brother shooting him at close range. it still is visabel in his hand LOL

Quick Reply: Theft...3rd time!