Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Thank You Uncle Sam

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 07:20 AM

`America - Love `it or Leave `it
or
Make it better

I ask myself ?

Old 08-09-2009, 09:56 AM

What Thankless People We are ?

We are ?

This was written by Jay Leno:

As most of you know I am not a President Bush fan, nor have I ever been, but this is not about Bush, it is about us, as Americans, and it seems to hit the mark

The other day I was reading Newsweek magazine and came across some Poll data I found rather hard to believe. It must be true given the source, right?

The Newsweek poll alleges that 67 percent of Americans are unhappy with the direction the country is headed and 69 percent of the country is unhappy with the performance of the President. In essence 2/3 of the citizenry just ain't happy and want a change. So being the knuckle dragger I am, I started thinking, 'What are we so unhappy about?''

A.. Is it that we have electricity and running water 24 hours a day, 7 Days a week?

B.. Is our unhappiness the result of having air conditioning in the summer and heating in the winter?

C.. Could it be that 95.4 percent of these unhappy folks have a job?

D.. Maybe it is the ability to walk into a grocery store at any time and see more food in moments than Darfur has seen in the last year?

E.. Maybe it is the ability to drive our cars and trucks from the Pacific Ocean to the Atlantic Ocean without having to present identification papers as we move through each state?

F.. Or possibly the hundreds of clean and safe motels we would find along the way that can provide temporary shelter?

G.. I guess having thousands of restaurants with varying cuisine from around the world is just not good enough either.

H. Or could it be that when we wreck our car, emergency workers show up and provide services to help all and even send a helicopter to take you to the hospital.

I.. Perhaps you are one of the 70 percent of Americans who own a home.

J.. You may be upset with knowing that in the unfortunate case of a fire, a group of trained firefighters will appear in moments and use top notch equipment to extinguish the flames, thus saving you, your family, and your belongings.

K.. Or if, while at home watching one of your many flat screen TVs, a burglar or prowler intrudes, an officer equipped with a gun and a bullet-proof vest will come to defend you and your family against attack or loss.

L.. This all in the backdrop of a neighborhood free of bombs or militias raping and pillaging the residents. Neighborhoods where 90% of teenagers own cell phones and computers.

M.. How about the complete religious, social and political freedoms we enjoy that are the envy of everyone in the world? Maybe that is what has 67% of you folks unhappy.

Fact is, we are the largest group of ungrateful, spoiled brats the world has ever seen. No wonder the world loves the U.S. , yet has a great disdain for its citizens. They see us for what we are. The most blessed people in the world who do nothing but complain about what we don't have, and what we hate about the country instead of thanking the good Lord we live here.

I know, I know. What about the president who took us into war and has no plan to get us out? The president who has a measly 31 percent approval rating? Is this the same president who guided the nation in the dark days after 9/11? The president that cut taxes to bring an economy out of recession? Could this be the same guy who has been called every name in the book for succeeding in keeping all the spoiled ungrateful brats safe from terrorist attacks? The commander in chief of an
all-volunteer army that is out there defending you and me?

Did you hear how bad the President is on the news or talk show? Did this news affect you so much, make you so unhappy you couldn't take a look around for yourself and see all the good things and be glad? Think about it......are you upset at the President because he actually caused you personal pain OR is it because the 'Media' told you he was failing to kiss your sorry ungrateful behind every day. Make no mistake about it.

The troops in Iraq and Afghanistan have volunteered to serve, and in many cases may have died for your freedom. There is currently no draft in this country. They didn't have to go. They are able to refuse to go and end up with either a ''general'' discharge, an 'other than honorable'' discharge or, worst case scenario, a ''dishonorable'' discharge after a few days in the brig.

So why then the flat-out discontentment in the minds of 69 percent of Americans?

Say what you want but I blame it on the media. If it bleeds it leads and they specialize in bad news. Everybody will watch a car crash with blood and guts. How many will watch kids selling lemonade at the corner? The media knows this and media outlets are for-profit corporations. They offer what sells, and when criticized, try to defend their actions by 'justifying' them in one way or another. Just ask why they tried to allow a murderer like O.J. Simpson to write a book about how he didn't kill his wife, but if he did he would have done it this way......Insane!

Turn off the TV, burn Newsweek, and use the New York Times for the bottom of your bird cage. Then start being grateful for all we have as country. There is exponentially more good than bad. We are among the most blessed people on Earth and should thank God several times a day, or at least be thankful and appreciative.' 'With hurricanes, tornados, fires out of control, mud slides, flooding, severe thunderstorms tearing up the country from one end to another, and with the threat of bird flu and terrorist attacks, 'Are we sure this is a good time to take God out of the Pledge of Allegiance?'

Jay `Leno

Last edited by Space; 08-09-2009 at 09:58 AM.
Old 08-09-2009, 11:21 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I think the real problem is the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Right now, the government is getting harassed by special interest groups. And one of the biggest topics right now is the environment. Save the planet, go green, be more fuel efficient, wipe your butt with leaves, yadda-yadda-yadda.

Also, there's a push to get people working again. The government sees this as a perfect opportunity to make the lobbyists happy and get people working. For a politician looking to get re-elected, it's a win-win.

But they're not looking at it from a more realistic point of view. Fact is there are millions of people who can't afford a new or newer vehicle. An older vehicle is their only choice unless they use public transit. Which brings up another point.

An 1988 Monte SS would qualify for Cash For Clunkers. But I'm willing to bet money that 88 Monte puts out less emissions than most public transit buses.

The way I see it, buses and large trucks are a bigger emissions problem than most 80's and 90's cars. But the government doesn't dare go after them like they do with you and I. Because they know that with out them, the country could come to a screeching halt.

The government is beginning to agree with Henry Ford's original theory.

Henry Ford first made cars with the intention of buying a new one when ever yours broke down. They were supposed to be disposable, not repairable.

This is what the auto industry, and the government wants now. They don't want you and I to fix our cars. They want us to send them to the crusher when it breaks down, and buy yourself a new one.

The ironic part in all this, is most of the cars being bought in this Cash For Clunkers program are manufactured overseas. And the environmental lobbyists are pushing cars like the Toyota Prius, because of it's efficiency.

The government will force us to do what ever the loudest lobby group tells them to do.

Old 08-09-2009, 12:28 PM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2009
I'M NOT OLD, I'M JUST WELL MARINATED.
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Taz
, wipe your butt with leaves.
You wipe your butt with leaves? OUCH!!

Old 08-09-2009, 12:30 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

No. But I'm sure the environmentalists would like me to.

Out of everything I wrote, you picked that out? Next time I'll throw the word "popcorn" in at random.

Old 08-09-2009, 12:32 PM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2009
I'M NOT OLD, I'M JUST WELL MARINATED.
5 Year Member

Woohoo popcorn!!

Old 08-09-2009, 09:29 PM

[quote=Taz;150416

Also, there's a push to get people working again. The government sees this as a perfect opportunity to make the lobbyists happy and get people working. For a politician looking to get re-elected, it's a win-win.

The government is beginning to agree with Henry Ford's original theory.

Henry Ford first made cars with the intention of buying a new one when ever yours broke down. They were supposed to be disposable, not repairable.

The government will force us to do what ever the loudest lobby group tells them to do. [/quote]

Speaking of of people not working, theres the welfare system. Which I have nothing against, unless people abuse it. Nothing like seeing obeese people ride motorized carts at a super market and get nothing but chicken with food stamps. And there are people who abuse BADLY. People who go to the ER room for a COLD as a EMERGENCY. As far as fords reasons for always breaking down, that makes sense lol. But I give them kudos for actually restoring there company. The government will force us to do something when ever they are paid to do so. Going Green is a MONEY maker, which is why the governemnt is involved. Business owners (big ones) know theres money. Business owners own the country and they want money. Bush made bad decisons, but honestly theres a HIGHER power above him. They own you, us, and the trees. I love forest and Nature, I've planted about 18 trees in my backyard, but the earth is Fine haha. I give a lot a credit for those who serve our country, it's just our corrupt government. The citizens and USA are now to diffeent things.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Cz4vcQKWfA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7596F5U1KD8

Cheers!

Last edited by PINKFLOYD_; 08-09-2009 at 09:41 PM.
Old 08-09-2009, 09:58 PM

did someone say popcorn?????

Old 08-10-2009, 05:24 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I wonder if the guidelines are different for different parts of the country?

I say that cause the sources I've heard, talked with say NO parts will be havested off the turned in clunkers. So can they be, or can't they????????

I know my '86 Monte "MAY" not get 28 mpg like a 2006 Monte (should). But I've done my best to keep the car in the best running condition I can.

One thing I noticed on the Cash For Clunkers web site is they don't ask (or care) if the car is a:
Classic
Collector car
Total wreck
ONLY........ driven on sundays (like my car is)

I don't drive the car daily. So HOW can it be a poluter like a city bus?

And the comment on the city buses. You can bet they will be allowed credits for any "old" car taken off the streets. Like a factory dumping out fumes you can't be around or breath.

If say parts stores can't sell aftermarket parts for a 1982 - 88 Monte, Camaro, Vette, Caprice think of the jobs affected due to loss of sales. Not just the counter people at parts stores but the manufacturing jobs too.

Old 08-10-2009, 05:28 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

One point I just thought of.

If it's true no parts can be sold for a car in the Cash For Clunkers guide lines. And I've purchased parts with a life-time warranty. When the part wears out and AZ or NAPA won't replace it could this be a breach of contract?

Or could it be looked at the parts was sold before the guide lines took affect. So technically the parts isn't being sold, it's just being replaced.

Quick Reply: Thank You Uncle Sam