Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Thank You Uncle Sam

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 12:53 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

IMO the government should be taking all these clunkers and opening up a government junkyard to earn some of their $3500-$4500 back.

Old 08-07-2009, 01:00 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
15 Year Member

ok working at a dealer i ahve alittle bit of insite here.... so they bring in there cars and get a new one....yada yada yada.... themechanics pull the old vehicle in once approved by the goverment...
they drain the oil and pour in 2quarts of sodium silica(liquid glass) they pull it back out to the lot and rais the rpm to about 2 grand and wait till it stops running....(they have to tape a label onto the airfilter housing saying this has been done....) then a junk yard can come pick it up and strip it of it's usefull parts and then crush the car the junk yard has up to 6 monthes to strip it and crush it

Last edited by Budsjlm; 08-07-2009 at 01:14 PM. Reason: 5 post into 1
Old 08-07-2009, 01:03 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I doubt you can't get parts for them anymore, that seems way to far out there....That would mean i can't get parts for my 1989 Chevy Truck...I don't think so. Chevy produced these trucks from 1988-1998 thats 10 years of one of the most popular trucks out there. They can't just stop making parts for them.

Old 08-07-2009, 01:26 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
15 Year Member

well there will be alot more parts at junk yards and online...n what not

Old 08-07-2009, 03:52 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2009
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by chibiblacksheep
IMO the government should be taking all these clunkers and opening up a government junkyard to earn some of their $3500-$4500 back.
you know, that would be an awsome idea... store all the parts that are worth saving ( not broken) and have a few salvage yards around the country... plus have an online site that you can buy the parts form & have em shipped to your door...

Old 08-07-2009, 04:07 PM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2009
I'M NOT OLD, I'M JUST WELL MARINATED.
5 Year Member

I have been reading this post all day. I think i'm buying me a donkey and ride it to work.

And no Mike, there will be no stripes on it.

Old 08-07-2009, 06:31 PM

I want a striped donkey.

Old 08-09-2009, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by chibiblacksheep
Also isn't there a LAW that a company HAS to produce parts for a car for 20 years, and the CARS is only for 1982 and higher. So therefore if you had a 1992 vehicle, the law means you HAVE to make car parts until 2012, so is this law beating an old law?
no, only 10 years. i worked at Marada ind for 5 years. (auto part manufacturer) when a compeny wins a contract, they are required to keep the dies/machenery for 10 years. which i think is fair, keeping all those dies and work cells takes up alot of space. plus for example, before i left there, marada won 52 parts for the soltice, what happen to that car?!!!

Old 08-09-2009, 01:09 AM

They call it the American dream becasue you gota be asleep to see it- George Carlin...
Dont you love those people who wear the American Flags? Though America was once great, not anymore. Uncle Sam should be more worried about the holes in the roads and holes in the government rather than the holes in the cars. Logically you would tar cracks rather than wait until the road is dust and pay for a dig up etc. Kudos for Pa for keeping nice roads...UNLIKE OHIO

Last edited by PINKFLOYD_; 08-09-2009 at 01:16 AM.
Old 08-09-2009, 07:16 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- December 2007

Clunkers does not kill parts, in fact, the number of parts could increase! Why... Because the salvage yard is allowed to harvest parts before the vehicle is crushed. The only thing that is cooked is the motor, but everything else is good.

Now, the question becomes, how much will the Salvage Yard harvest? Since demand for 1984 to 1995 parts is not that high, chances are, very little will be harvested. The car is worth more in scrap metal, then it is in parts, based on current demand, and because of clunkers, that demand will drop even more... Thus, aftermarket part makers will also cut back on producing products for these vehicles.

Believe it or not, OEMs and Aftermarket MFGs look at databases of licensed/Registered vehicles to determine possible product needs. They will then evaluate past sales based on the number of registered vehicles to establish production quantities. Because of clunkers, and the slow response of most DMVs in posting, I am sure quite a few MFGs will stop production and wait at least six-months (so they have solid data to work with) before they begin production again. So you may have a hard time finding parts unless you call a speciality yard (one geared towards classic cars), or a company like RM Classic Cars http://www.rmauctions.com/index-online.cfm These folks ALWAYS have a line on where to buy parts for older cars, because restoring vehicles and selling them is how they make their money!

Quick Reply: Thank You Uncle Sam