Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Tax Day USA 4-15 Canada 4-30 : (

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 09:10 AM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Tax Day USA 4-15 Canada 4-30 : (

[align=center]`Give me your Money, your `Life, your `Monte! [/align][align=center][/align][align=center][X(]Tax Day[X(][/align][align=center]My employer's don't take my taxes `out,[/align][align=center]so I again had to pay this year : ([/align][align=center]It's getting more difficult to survive in My `Space : )[/align][align=center][:-][/align][align=center]I need to help pay for all the Pork Barrel Projects[/align][align=center]that have been approved : ([/align][align=center]I really get upset on how our country is spending our[/align][align=center]taxes : ( I hope we elect a leaders that haven't[/align][align=center]sold their souls to special interest.[/align][align=center]I can't believe the amount of money that is wasted,[/align][align=center]with no accountability : ([/align][align=center][:-][/align][align=center]On Wednesday, the watchdog group Citizens Against Government Waste released its annual Pig Book summary of the pet projects of members of Congress, which it derides as “pork-barrel spending.” [/align][align=center](Click on Pig Book above to see some really crazy[/align][align=center]request for projects & our tax dollar)[/align][align=center]The report uncovered 11,610 individual earmarks for the 2008 [/align][align=center]fiscal year — the second largest number it has recorded — for a total of $17.2 billion[X(][/align][align=center]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pork_barrel[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Do you think our taxes are being spent wisely ?[/align][align=center][sm=americanasmiley.gif][/align][align=center]America, Love `it or leave `it[/align][align=center]or[/align][align=center]Make it better[/align][align=center][:-][/align][align=center][sm=feedback.gif][/align]

Old 04-15-2008, 10:03 AM
Default RE: Tax Day USA 4-15 Canada 4-30 : (

[align=center]I share my class assignment with members,[/align][align=center]because you never know what you [/align][align=center]maylearn on the MCF [:-][/align][align=center]How can we afford to drive our Monte Carlo's[/align][align=center]in the USA & Canada ? [X(][/align]
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
[:-]

This article or section needs to be updated.
[align=center][/align][align=center]The economies of Canada and the United States are extremely similar because they are both developed countries, which have mixed economies and are each other's largest trading partners. However, key differences in population makeup, geography, government policies, and productivity all result in different economies.

[/align]

[align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][ul][ul][/ul][ul][center

Old 04-15-2008, 10:22 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month - April 2008

ORIGINAL: SpaceRider

[align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][X(]Tax Day[X(][/align][align=center]My employer's don't take my taxes `out,[/align][align=center]so I again had to pay this year : ([/align][align=center]It's getting more difficult to survive in My `Space : )[/align][align=center][:-][/align]
Ever thought about paying estimated tax quarterly? It's not as painful as being hit for all of it at the end. I never paid any in because hubby's withholdings always covered my little shop until a couple of years ago and I had to come up with 1K - now I pay quarterly. Getting some back this time

Old 04-15-2008, 10:34 AM

[align=center]Thanks, `Becky, that's what I'm going to start doing.[/align][align=center]It sure hurts my Monte Carlo Savings Account [X(][/align][align=center]
[/align][align=center]

[hr]

[/align][align=center]Will we and our family be able to afford to drive our Monte Carlo's[/align][align=center]on the Roads of North America ? Safely ? -$'s - ?[/align][align=center][:-]
[/align]
[align=center]I'm now just trying to find a solution to the below problems [X(][/align][align=center]I have so many questions, and finding it difficult to find the solutions to[/align][align=center]all the problems I see in our World, in our country.[/align][align=center][:-][/align][align=center]Does any member have the answers ?[/align][blockquote]

[blockquote][align=center][/align][align=center]Major Problems facing the
United Statesin the 21st Century
[/align][align=center][:-]
- Should or can Americans agree on what are American
values, principles, and national priorities?
[/align][/blockquote][/blockquote]
[ul]
[*][align=center]Should America be the Global Policeman?
[/align]
[*][align=center]Is increasing inequality between the rich and the
poor a threat to America's middle-class society?
[/align]
[*][align=center]Are global corporations and the global economy
a threat to American democracy and economic well-being?
[/align]
[*][align=center]Can America survive as a nation of immigrants or
should America insist on all Americans sharing a
common culture and common national identity?
[/align]
[*][align=center]Is the growing economic gap between the prosperous
elderly and struggling young families and children
threatening America's future?
[/align]
[*][align=center]Is the continuing breakdown of the family and
family values an increasing threat to Americansociety?
[/align]
[*][align=center]Can the federal government solve social and economic
problems such as drug-use, youth violence, poverty,
and the breakdown of the American family?
[/align]
[*][align=center]Is American cynicism and irony undermining
our commitment to our democratic institutions and
the welfare of the larger American society?
[/align][*][align=center][:-][/align][*][align=center]Should or are Americans still committed to protect
the general well-being of American society?
[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]

[/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][/ul][align=center][URL=http://ronbosoldier.blogspot.com/2007/

Old 04-15-2008, 10:39 AM

i cant remember, but I claim mainly zeros except for some spots and Ive never ended up paying back, usually getting a smaller check. granted, I make maybe one months pay compared to some of you bigger guys over my college summer, but, it all helps!

Old 04-15-2008, 01:20 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Alright... time for a tax rant on why we need the FairTax. This part concerns how American's and the income tax came about and how we now sometimes look FORWARD to April 15 as the day we get money back from our government.

[sm=americanasmiley.gif]

So a brief history of taxes....

Democrats were the party that wanted income taxes. Always have been, even from the beginning apparently. The Democrats, when they started the income tax, was struck down by the Supreme Court as unconstitunal (can't remember the case). So the Democrats decided to MAKE it Constitutional. However, they wouldn't do this all on the whim, tehy ahd to make America want it. The Democrats promised that only the top 5% of income earners would pay an income tax, and that the tax would only be something like 7%. Well, American's then knew that the taxes would work their way down, and they simply wuldn't have it. The Democrats kept pushing, but they knew if htey proposed an amendment to the Constiution, they would never get reelected (rule #1 of being a politician, get reelected). A conservative Democrat from Texas (can't recall his name... Joseph something) decided to make his own party look bad by and set the party up for a major loss to the Republicans proposed an Amendment before the Congress to make an income tax. To his own surprise, several Republicans and many Democrats (so Republicans aren't forgiven here either), and the Amendment passed both houses of Congress. So then heknew (or atleast thought) that the Amendmetn would never make it past 3/4 of each state's legislature... but the Democrats went back to work and convinced American's tehy needed the income tax. 3/4 of the States approved, and the Amendment passed. We worked our way thru WWII (need more taxes to pay for the war, then not lower when the war is over) and the such to where we are today.

So then as taxes rose over the years, everyone was getting quite distraught. Every April you ahd to sit down and write out a check for several grand. You would think long and hard.. "Where is this money going" "How is the government spending my money"... well, you wuld then pay more attention to what your representatives said and you would vote for the guy who didn't want to spend as much. So it was back to the drawing board. Quite possibly one of the most beautiful plans every (sarcasm), WITHOLDING TAXES!!!! That's right, now you lose $xxx.xx out of your check every week, and you pay nothing on April 15!!! How beautiful. Now most American's look FORWARD to April 15 as the day they get some of that moeny that was withheld from their checks BACK!!!! That's right!!! How beautiful!! "APRIL 15, THE DAY THE GOVERNMENT GIVES ME MONEY!!!!"

BS!! [sm=bs.gif]

So now people don't pay so much attention to what the government does with their money... the governmetn gives it to them.

So... you can ask many people "How much money did you pay in taxes last year" and they will say "Oh, I got $xx.xx back". But then ask again, "But how much did you PAY", and they won't know... or they think they didn't pay anything and the government gave back to them. Not many people can tell you how much money they actually paid in taxes... crazy.

[sm=rant.gif]

Old 04-15-2008, 01:29 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month - April 2008

ORIGINAL: Cowboy6622

Not many people can tell you how much money they actually paid in taxes... crazy.
Because it's depressing and we WANT to forget

Old 04-15-2008, 01:38 PM

[align=center]`Hi Duane - Cowboy -,[/align][align=center]Thanks for your post, your knowledge always amazes me.[/align][align=center]I work hard for my money & to survive, & I know how much I pay in taxes.[/align][align=center]I believe in paying, but I sure don't like our tax system.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]I really don't know how American could ever read the complete tax codes : ([/align][align=center]Ignorance of the law is not excuse, but does that mean[/align][align=center]that everyone should go to law school and learn all of them.[/align][align=center]I'm in favor of a flat tax for `all.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Ibelieve Congress shouldaccount for all their spending.[/align][align=center]Our Government has the majority of taxpapersso busy just trying to survive[/align][align=center]and take care of their family, that they don't have the time[/align][align=center]to get involved in the process of government to force a change : ([/align][align=center][/align][align=center]I write to my senator & congressmen, and I get a form letter back[/align][align=center]from them asking for donation for their campaign : ([/align][align=center]What am I doing to make it a better USA ? What are you ?[/align][align=center]Work & Pay Taxes : ([/align][align=center]The Chevrolet ReVolution is coming,[/align][align=center][sm=americanasmiley.gif][sm=groupwave.gif][sm=americanasmiley.gif][/align][align=center]we shall surround the White House/Congress with our Monte's in Protest : )[/align][align=center]That's `all from `Space, I must rest, so that I can go to work, [/align][align=center]and pay my taxes : ([/align][align=center]...Have a Happy `Day [/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Thanks `Duane for your post : )[/align][align=center][/align]

Old 04-15-2008, 03:06 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Space I think you should strongly reconsider your position the FlatTax.

The top 1% of income earners pay something like 17% of all taxes... and something around the top 5% pay about 36% (don't take these numbers to the bank... i'm having a hard time recalling the exact figures).

Now given... if we had a Flat Tax, the rich would still pay more, they would still pay a larger share becasue they have a larger share of the wealth.

However, if you consider this flat tax, look at how much mroe the poor ahve to pay to compensate. FlatTax's hurt the poor even more than the current systemand help businesses that don't need help.

Now consider the FairTax. You eliminate ALL taxes... this includes transportation, self employment, income, corporate.. it's all gone. Even for the rich

This mean's that the hiddne cost you pay in everything.. .taxes already payed by businesses that they pay and pass on to you.. thisacounts forabout 20% of the cost on everything you buy.

You then embed a 23% tax on everything purchased at ONLY the retail level... prices rise some, but you're not paying income taxes anymore... if you earn $7 an hour and work 40 hours, you made $280. You didn't make $220 after taxes.. you made and brought home $280.

Then there is the prebate (that is, an advanced rebate) issued by the government to pay for the tax on the necessities of life (food, water, electricty, whatever you choose to spend it on really.. but the check goes up to the povery level based on your income and not above). This actually helps the poor more than anything.. they are given a check by the government every month, plus they make more money because no taxes are withheld from their check. This helps them more than any Bush stimulus package or any other package offered by any Presidential Candidate so far.

So where does the government make money? Well... this is a place to discuss taxes but I don't feel like typing all of that up right now. The people who live the most luxurious of lives are the ones who really pay the taxes though (The rich). It works though... and I could explain it all but this isn't really the palce. If it becomes that discussion... .if this becomes the place, I'll type more about it later... but until then.... remember that only two things in life are certain: Death and Taxes.

Old 04-16-2008, 11:55 AM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The governement doesn't make money. It never has. It only knows how to spend money.

You want to know where your taxes are being spent? On things none of us really need. You money get's taxed when you make it, when you spend it, and when you "TRY" to save it.

I know the guys on Chevy Talk have said if you owe anything at tax time you're cheating yourself. If uncle sam owes you anything then the goverment is cheating you. You need to find that middle ground where IF you owe anything at taz time it's minimal. But the best solution is you're at target zero. You owe or get anything back at tax time.

I whine and cry cause I see (hear actually) people getting 5 or 6k back at tax time and all I've ever got back was $500. Okay these other people are supporting kids andI'm not. But to get back 10 times what I do is unfair.

A woman I used to work with told me about Earned Income Tax Credit where you get so much back for things like being head of household. I checked in to it cause she recommended I did. But I don't meet any of the guidlines.