Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Geo Metro

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 09:11 PM
Default Geo Metro

Well, I thought I would talk about my 2nd car. This car has been in my family since it came out. We have a 1994 geo Metro, and I love it. It was first my sisters when it was bought brand new, then she got a new car and my mom drove it, then my other sister's car messed up and she needed a car for a bit and she had it, then we got it back and my mom drove it for sometime and now it's mine. I love it's great on gas. I've got to work on the interior, because I think my sisters boyfriend hauled chickens around in it and it just needs some cleaning. After I get the inside looking nice, i'ma painting around the windows where the window seals are. Just thought I would tell about my second car, it's good on gas, not a very pretty site or anything, not fast at all, not that big, but I could do so much with it. Here's alittle more information about my car:

In the United States a single engine was available from 1989 through 1994: a 1.0L I3 engine. Rated at 55hp (39kW), the small Suzuki-designed engine was the most fuel efficient production engine used in a GM car to date, boasting over 49mpg in models with manual transmissions, and up to 39 mpg with the 3 speed automatic. Manual transaxle cars were able to achieve a 0-60 time of just over ten seconds. A detuned 49hp (37kW) unit was used in the ultra-fuel-efficient XFi model, which delivered as much as 58 miles per gallon. As the 3-cylinder engines aged however, they began to become less stable and subject to vibration as well as minor deficiencies in the fuel injection system that led to decreased fuel economy. A flaw exists in Metro 3-cylinder engines equipped with an EGR valve - if the valve fails or the EGR passages become blocked, the center combustion chamber can get too hot, and over time, lose compression due to exhaust valve failure.

Maybe you guys can tell about your second car, or if anyone has a ride like this, I would love to hear about it.

Old 04-15-2008, 09:50 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month - April 2008
Default RE: Geo Metro

We HAD (wished we still had, LOL) a 92 Geo Metro, manual tranny, 3 cylinder. We averaged 46 mpg. We took it to Kansas,turned a/c off (it was cool/night), shifted exactly as the dummy light said, and a bit of a tail wind, we got58 mpg!

Beats the hell out of hubby's 19 mpg desiel we get now (he's not takingmy Monte, hehe)

Old 04-16-2008, 09:16 AM

Wow, that's amazing, mine's an auto so I don't get as good of milage as the manual, but you can't beat 30-40 miles to a tank.. If I stay below 40 I know I can get about 50. Love the car, it's my everything car, I go everywhere it in. hunting, going to play ball, ridin, just about anything you can think of. It's got more room then you think too, I'm 6'5" and got planty of leg room.

Old 04-16-2008, 11:04 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month - April 2008

Funny you should say hunting. We took that one hunting too. When my son was little (under 10 because that's about when we traded it - HUGE mistake), hubby, me, our son, and the boxer rode plus ALL the camping/hunting gear - big ice chest, deer corn, gun case, tent, lantern, coleman stove, etc. hopped in.That poor car was way over the weight limit but it still got up and went just fine (probably because of it being manual, don't think an auto would have).

A friend of mine had a '96 (I think). Hers didn't get as good mileage even though it was manual, probablt because of that extra cylinder, hers was a 4 cylinder. But then she also drives like a freakin maniac, that might have had a little bearing on it too

Old 04-16-2008, 11:23 AM

LOL I am sure the are good gas sippers...but I would rather ride my horse to work

Old 04-16-2008, 01:16 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I'm going to get one of these.... 100 mpg I'll just drive right ot my desk at school The top speed depends on how much you weigh... and the handling depends on how well you can lean into the corner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mio5fTKqWgM

Old 04-16-2008, 02:26 PM

You'd rather ride your horse? You're sleeping on the geo, I love this car and everthing about it. It just scoots around without anyone really paying any attentin to it. I've actually went through some tough mud with this thing, lol didn't mean to. Love the car though.

Lol cowboy that's crazy 100mpg.