Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

>AT&T Considers Selling Your Browsing History<

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 08:26 AM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Angry >AT&T Considers Selling Your Browsing History<

Hi Member's, below is for your information & what's happening Big Brother & Now AT&T
What do you think ? Will you opt out ?
AT&T Considers Selling Your Browsing History, Location, And More To Advertisers. Here’s How To Opt Out

Greg Kumparak

Friday, July 5th, 2013

<div class="body-copy">Good news, everyone! Wait, no. Not that one. The other one.
Bad news, everyone!
AT&T is considering selling your usage data (location, web browsing history, etc.) to advertisers, having seemingly decided that it’s been too long since everyone was mad at them.
They noted the plan in a preview of an upcoming change to their privacy policy published earlier this week.
AT&T is quick to point out that other companies, like Verizon, have been doing this for a while. (Oh, okay — as long as everyone else’s data is getting thrown about, too, I guess it’s okay. Cough.)
They also note that Facebook and Google do similar things, somehow forgetting that those users generally aren’t already paying those guys $100 a month for a phone that can only make or receive calls when it feels like it.
If there’s any upside, it’s that AT&T is promising to anonymize and aggregate the data before they sell it. It’s just too bad that “anonymizing” large chunks of data doesn’t really work.
At least you’ll be getting a sweet discount on your bill since AT&T is making a bit of change slingin’ your daterbits around, right? Just kidding, you won’t. They’re just going to use it to show you “more relevant advertising.”
Fortunately, it’s not too hard to opt out — you just have to know to do it, and then dig around AT&T’s site to find the link.
Don’t feel like digging? Here’s the link you’ll need: http://att.com/cmpchoice. Sign in, opt out, and you’re done. If you feel like digging a bit deeper, here’s AT&T’s entire page about opting-out of things like this.
And for all of you who might’ve just learned that your carrier probably does something similar:Crunchbase

<!---->Company:AT&T
IPO: NYSE:T

AT&T Inc. (AT&T) is a holding company. AT&T is a provider of telecommunications services in the United States and worldwide. Services offered include wireless communications, local exchange services and long-distance services. AT&T operates in four segments: Wireless, Wireline, Advertising Solutions and Other. Its Wireless subsidiaries provide both wireless voice and data communications services across the United States, and through roaming agreements, in a substantial number of foreign countries. Wireline subsidiaries provide primarily landline voice and data communication services, AT&T...

→ Learn more

Old 07-09-2013, 08:41 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member

Geez. Don't advertisers get enough of my browsing history already by other means? Now our ISP's are selling us out too?

Old 07-09-2013, 09:03 AM

Hello Mr Taz >'Lou,
I'm using Space's 'puter & he has U-Verse from AT&T & I found spaces password & went to the ATT site & opt'ed `out.
It seems everywhere I go there are camera's. It's hard to hide, but the major criminals still don't seem to be getting caught I sure don't like the red light camera's.

It's the world we live in & as long as there are terrorist, I'm sure there will be more security devices watching us everywhere we 'go.. I've been checking all of Space's files & I still can't find any X rated sites...That's not human is it ? (LOL)
Wish you & readers a happy/safe day...Oh, we can see you now LOL....I can't believe all the member's online sitting at their desk in their underwear (LOL)

Last edited by BeachBumMike; 07-09-2013 at 11:32 AM.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:23 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Thanks Mike for the Heads up!
I am on AT&T... but im opted out now!
Thanks!!!!

Old 07-09-2013, 01:45 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Having your browsing history sold to advertisers should be the least of your worries. My concern is with the fact everything you do on your computer, tablet, phone, etc. is recorded and archived by your service provider. Any time 'big brother' wants to know what you are or were doing they simply request a court order to have your info handed over. The ever increasing presence of cameras in public and websites like facebook fill in the rest of the blanks.

Old 07-09-2013, 03:51 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member

Using the info for advertising purposes is bad enough. But I'm concerned with what else they might keep the info for. Like using software to constantly spy on you. Looking for certain keywords in everything you search for or access on the internet. And they always put the blame on national security as their excuse for invading your privacy.

I'm all for keeping us safe from the bad people of the world. But at some point, I have to think to myself: I'm tired of being presumed guilty. I want the bad people caught before tragedies happen, just like everyone else does. But I want to be able to relax and enjoy myself. Men and women of the military fought and gave their lives so we could live in freedom. I want to be able to enjoy the freedom they fought so hard for.

But I suppose I'm getting on a rant now. I didn't want to turn this political. Because political threads tend to bore me too. But this idea of everyone constantly being spied on, is a sad state of what our lives have become.

Social media has allowed us to know what is going on in countries on the other side of the world. But too many of us don't even know the names of their neighbors living next to them. Ironically, social media has turned our society somewhat anti-social in our own neighborhoods. That's when the powers that be have to turn to watching our browsing history on the net. So they know who the bad people are.

Maybe the stress in my life right now is getting to me.