Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

symphony of a pushrod

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 12:17 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default symphony of a pushrod

I have written this with some help from a friend. It has been something on my mind for a while i have been wanting to write to express how i feel about cars and engines... My wife told me she thinks its the deepest shes ever seen me be.
I knowbits a long read, any feedbackwould be greatly appreciated.

As you walk out the door, you grab your conductors’ baton off the table. Go out to the driveway, open the door, sit down, raise your arm, and as you drop your arm a powerful orchestra starts playing the most beautiful symphony you have ever heard in your life. The master of joined soliloquys, the crankshaft and camshaft, directing the pushrods, pistons, and valves to create this orchestrated music. The baton, your key, the road and your feet your sheet music, you set off on this symphonic getaway as your hear the robust call to battle of an internal combustion engine; a dance between the pistons and the I'm opening and closing, a perfect duet of mechanical perfection. A continuous tap-dance that repeats thousands of thousands of times per minute which allows the engine to inhale and exhale. You rocket forward onto the tarmac as your tires consume hundreds of feet of road by the second. Cresting the first hill you you leave you experience weightlessness, but not for long as the vehicle pulls you back to the tarmac, you plummet down a few hundred feet and prepare to enter the first corner, your foot kisses the brakes ever so perfectly, the vacuum pressure building into the brake booster to help provide pressure through the master cylinder to the lines, to the calipers pushing your pads to the rotors, causing you to slow down. You are setup perfectly for the corner, you downshift and hear a higher pitched wail from the exhaust all caused by the pistons, valves, and pushrods dancing at a faster pace creating a cacophony from the exhaust note as it rises to a louder, higher pitch. As you enter into the corner, you feel your vehicle become an extension of you and less of haphazard combination of plastic, metal, wire, and rubber. You are feeling how it is to bond to the miracle of machinery. You feel your heart rate increase and decrease, coup d'état of senses taking over all controlled by the mind, body, and heart as the engine excitingly speeds up and slows its tempo. As you exit the corner, you shift up letting the rpms drop from the peak of the mountain of power to the base of the slope beginning the re-ascent. As your velocity increases down the road the heart starts to race and matches the tune conducted by your right foot.

As you enter the next series of corners, you begin to feel a transformation. You are no longer of flesh and bone; you are now part of technological marvel, an angry monster that consumes fuel and inhales oxygen and spits fire; a dragon of modern day. You are a dragon rider its every move controlled by your masterful extremities. You enter into and out of corners, hearing the music played by the bellows of the exhaust with every push of the pedal and the orchestra summoned by the rubber in the tires screaming in sheer fright and happiness like an opera. Feeling the artificial gravity pull you from side to side as the automobile pulls you through each corner. The suspension flexes and the struts dampen the spring capture the oscillation of a heavy beast of burden and pleasure that fights you for control, but it is you in control, you are the dragon rider that smiles.

You approach a traffic light, you hear the music of the orchestra die down to a soft melody, it is at this point you can hear the individual instruments singing to you, you can pick out the basses, the metal winds, the string quartet, the percussion, and the wood winds. The echo of the combustion created by the pistons, the chatter of the valves as they open and close with each stroke of timing, the loping of the cam using the pushrods to move the rocker arms opening and closing the valves. All ringing through the intake and exhaust simultaneously as the brass section and woodwind section share their duet. As the light turns green, you press on the accelerator and the orchestra starts to play louder, faster and at an ever increasing tune, you level your speed out through the suburban streets and hear this orchestra singing in perfect harmony never changing pace or time as you hold it at a steady time. All the while you feel the beast trying to get out, but you keep it caged while your right foot shakes, urging you to release the animal like an itchy trigger finger ready to fire at will. The tune echoes off of the surrounding cars, buildings, and various other fixtures ricocheting a perfect harmony of resonance to the original tune being sung through the stainless steel bellows. A private symphony played by the perfect acoustics created by man only for the few who enjoy such sultry tones of mechanical eroticism. You pull into your driveway, the orchestra quiets down, you turn the key off and hear the music die down to a silent murmur. The song is over, you bask in the moment, exhale, and reflect on how beautiful it sounded. You open the door, exit the vehicle, and you are pining for the next chance to go for a spirited drive.

Old 09-17-2012, 12:43 PM

Monte Of The Month -- October 2012
3 Year Member

Awesome! Just from reading that I can really get a feel of your passion for cars/engines/etc.

This was my favorite part:

You are no longer of flesh and bone; you are now part of technological marvel, an angry monster that consumes fuel and inhales oxygen and spits fire; a dragon of modern day.

A fire breathing dragon of the modern day is an excellent simile for describing the engine. Excellent work!

Last edited by 01 Monte SS; 09-17-2012 at 12:46 PM.
Old 09-17-2012, 01:08 PM

As you enter into the corner, you feel your vehicle become an extension of you and less of haphazard combination of plastic, metal, wire, and rubber.
Beautiful! My favorite line

Old 09-17-2012, 05:36 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

very... wordy...

Old 09-17-2012, 05:50 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

very nice and i do agree, there is a point where you're not just driving the car, you become connected to it, as if it is an extension of yourself

Last edited by Leprechaun93; 09-17-2012 at 05:53 PM.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:14 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member

What an exoteric ride....I can relate to that very symphony of eyes,ears, and seat of your pants Oneness with the world and all that is right with it!

And that my friends is the very "ESSENCE" of Your personal automoblie!
Which is the end result we all desire...
At least ONCE in our lives!

I like the overall storyline forsure!
As Juniocar mentioned...A bit wordy...But well thought out.. I get it!

Thanks augi for shareing!

PS:
I enjoyed the ride!...
(1 1999 Z-34 owner to the next.)

Last edited by STUMPMI; 09-17-2012 at 10:17 PM.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:20 PM

nice. had a good built exciting middle and slow calm finish. I could picture some good music playing while morgan freeman read that aloud to a video of a monte driving through some serious roads.

Old 09-17-2012, 10:29 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Mr Grizzly Mint
nice. had a good built exciting middle and slow calm finish. I could picture some good music playing while morgan freeman read that aloud to a video of a monte driving through some serious roads.

X2!
That would be the "ULTIMATE" compliment to experience. That you just experienced!!! FEEL THE TENSION!

OH MAN WHAT RIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-18-2012, 12:05 AM

Thank you all for your words of encouragement and enjoyment of the article. I told you in the beginning it was a bit long and i will not change that statement

Old 09-18-2012, 08:20 AM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013

Well put, Very cool.