Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Supercharger or turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 07:18 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member
Default Supercharger or turbo?

I was reading about the 2008 cobalt SSand the fact that it will come with the 260hp turbocharged 2.0L ecotec 4 cyl. The previous SS was supercharged and only made 205hp. Superchargers and turbochargers both seem to have a cult following. The superchargers are liked more by the american muscle supporters and the turbochargers are liked by the import and tuner crowd. What would YOU rather have on your chevy? Personally I like superchargers, but if I could make more power out of a turbo I wouldnt hesitate to use one. I would have no problem driving a turbo car.

Old 04-01-2008, 07:23 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: Supercharger or turbo?

the turbo's generally make more power... i say turbo

Old 04-02-2008, 01:58 AM

There are pros andcons to both superchargers and turbochargers. Lets start with superchargers.
Pros: boost at lower RPM's, cool sound, easy install.
Cons: Less high end boost, typically more expensive than turbos, more expensive serp belt, [8D]Adds more weight than a turbo, blows air into cylinders.

Turbocharger
Pros: More efficient because it uses 'wasted' energy for power, typically less expensive, cool sound, adds power with little weight penalty, compresses air into cylinders. (which means more power)
Cons: Difficult install, typically little orNO boost below certain RPM range, considerable chance of detonation if improper fuel is used and system is not kept cool due to exhaust temperatures.

Twin Turbo Charging:
Pros: electronic turbo creates boost immediately in most cases, more power throughout the band, even more efficient.
Cons: More expensive, more air to cool means bigger intercooler or two intercoolers, if one turbo fails, it could mean the end.

Twin Charging (Super and Turbocharging):
Pros: BOOST,BOOST,BOOST
Cons: SUPER EXPENSIVE, more mechanical parts to break and replace, efficiency COULD be sacrificed.

CON TO ALL: PREMIUM FUEL ONLY. [8D]

I personally am a turbo guy. I like superchargers, but turbos are more cost effective, in my opinion. Good topic, Matt. And BTW, The '08 Cobalt is America's ricer killer. Bye-Bye Mr. Civic.

Old 04-02-2008, 05:22 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

ORIGINAL: rysZ34

And BTW, The '08 Cobalt is America's ricer killer. Bye-Bye Mr. Civic.
I know, I cant wait to see what it does on the streets. I would assume it would put up similar numbers to the pontiac solstice GXP.

Old 04-02-2008, 05:35 AM

[/quote]

I know, I cant wait to see what it does on the streets. I would assume it would put up similar numbers to the pontiac solstice GXP.
[/quote]

Yeah I think it does...The Cobalt puts up a 0-60 time of 5.5 seconds (I think). I know that I want a Cobalt and when the Solstice hardtop is in production, I'd love one of those too. (Not a big convertible fan) The features that the Cobalt have that are pretty sweet: No-Lift Shift, Launch Control. Same features on the HHR SS. My stepdad wants an HHR SS Panel. He's going to rip out the floor in the back and re-lay it in finished oak with [thin] chrome or stainless strips. Launch control is almost like having a stall converter. When you have the clutch depressed and the car can be floored, the computer won't let the RPM's rev above 4100 (Similar to a Rev-Limiter, but it isn't) Then when you dump the clutch I believe it works with the ABS system and you barely spin the tires thus reducing or eliminating torque steer. It's sweet.

Old 04-02-2008, 10:25 AM

Hi Matt, Ryan & Member's,
Great question, and great replies. I like the new Cobalt SS,
and happy to see Chevy developing powerful
4-Bang'in MotorMachine's.
I like the instant power of a supercharger, but
to me there's pro's and con's to each, like
Ryan mentioned in his awesome informative post.
With the price of `gas climbing, with no declines in our future,
it seems that 4-banger's may be the only way
to get good performance & decent MPG.
I hope a year from now, when I log onto the forum, that
everyone is not just posting; "How to I get better MPG's
with my Monte, instead of `How do I increase my power" : (
or
How do I superCharge `up my batteries for my electric machine,
or how to get the most `Sun on my Solar Powered Machine [X(]

Old 04-02-2008, 12:30 PM

I like the turbo, if I ever get the chance I would love to have a twin-turbo'd car someday.

Question, what is this No-Lift Shifting?

Old 04-02-2008, 01:41 PM

[align=center]Hi `Garret, & Member's,[/align][align=center]Launch Control sounds like NASA, but click on below[/align][align=center]link to watch video demonstation[/align][align=center][:-][/align][align=center]2008 Chevrolet Cobalt SS - Demonstration of Launch Control -... [/align]
The new 2008 Cobalt SS has some sophisticated technology that allows the driver to launch the vehicle with a pre-programmed amount of wheelspin. Usin...
video.aol.com/video-detail/2008-chevrolet-cobalt... - 80k -
[:-]
http://video.aol.com/video-detail/20...rol/1227530319

Old 04-02-2008, 01:45 PM

Member's more vid's to watch Similar Videos
Click on the picture to open (Get some popcorn: )EnJoy the `ride : )
[:-]

CobaltSS.net - 2008 Cobalt SS Turbo Launch Control
02:14[/align][/align][/align][/align][/align][/align]

2008 Cobalt SS Launch Control Drag
00:11[/align][/align][/align][/align][/align][/align]

Full Test: 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt SS Coupe
[/align][/align][/align][/align][/align][/align]

Heinricy and New 2008 Turbocharged Chevy Cobalt SS (part 1)
03:07[/align]http://video.aol.com/video-detail/20...rol/1227530319[/align][/align][/align][/align][/align]

Old 04-02-2008, 02:37 PM

ORIGINAL: God_Bot

I like the turbo, if I ever get the chance I would love to have a twin-turbo'd car someday.

Question, what is this No-Lift Shifting?
Garrett,
With a standard manual transmission one must lift off of the gas pedal when they depress the clutch otherwise the motor will rev like crazy. With "No-Lift" shifting, one doesn't need to lift off the gas to shift. This enables quicker times because you don't lose speed due to being in neutral until the driver shifts into another gear.It enables quicker shifts too.I remember a forum member (just don't remember who) Stating: This mustang stayed with me until he had to shift...lol. It's a pretty cool thing.

Quick Reply: Supercharger or turbo?