Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

"Super Chevy's"

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 04:31 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Smile "Super Chevy's"

Chevy Chevelle - The Right Recipe

This Malibu has combined some of our favorite things

By Jim Campisano, Photography by Kevin DiOssi

<TIME>Super Chevy, August, 2012 <~ Thank You</TIME>
<!-- AddThis Button BEGIN -->

<ARTICLE>

From what we've seen at the dozens of shows we've attended in the last few years, early Chevelles are finally coming into their own, popularity-wise. For years, the '68-72 models were the dominant A-bodies. All of a sudden, though, it seems like everyone's taken to the '64s and '65s.

Their previous lack of popularity (relative to their younger siblings) and dearth of muscular engine options from the factory no doubt led to lower prices, but once you check them out, their many virtues endear them to you. Clean, uncluttered styling, mechanical simplicity, compact exterior dimensions, and a spacious interior and trunk--what's not to like?
Floridian Anthony Amato traded his wide-body Toyota Supra for this Chevelle back in the middle of 2009. He'd wanted an old Chevy for some time, and this one grabbed his attention. The eyeball-poppin' House of Kolors "True Blueblood" crimson paint certainly got ours. Anthony acquired it from Kenny Davis, owner of Kenny Davis Hot Rods. All the body and paint had been performed and it had a 355 under the hood.
He drove it like this for a time, then decided he wanted to drop in an LS1. Even had the engine purchased, then a deal on a larger, more powerful 18,000-mile LS2 came along that was too good to pass up.
When it comes to the current state of hot rodding, there is no denying the popularity of LS engine swaps. But while Anthony could have just left the LS2 alone and had a dynamic, economical cruiser, he took it a step further. He added to the fire by installing a Garret GT-40 turbocharger. With just 8 psi of boost, the otherwise-stock 6.0-liter puts 550 hp and 580 lb-ft of torque to the rear tires.
With the ability to bolster performance like this, is it any wonder turbochargers are seeing yet another resurgence in popularity? GM has offered them in a wide assortment of new cars over the years, with varying degrees of success. The turbo itself is such a simple, effective device, but from an OE standpoint it can be a packaging nightmare. Turbo kits can also be expensive, but the results speak for themselves.

The engine was dropped in by S&R Performance in Tampa, which also gets the credit for fabricating the custom headers, turbo plumbing and intercooler setup. Jeremy Formato got the call to come in and perform the custom tune.

So what do we have so far? Malibu plus LS2 and turbo equals extremely fast street machine. But wait, there's more! A 4L80E electronic five-speed overdrive with B&M shifter sends the power to a 3.41-geared 12-bolt built by Profab Performance, while a Vintage Air system keeps the cockpit blissful from a temperature standpoint--critical when you live in South Florida.
That A/C becomes even more important when you have a black interior. The front chairs are Honda Prelude buckets covered in leather and tweed (with matching door panels). The headrests were removed for a more period-correct look. The owner installed the stereo system, a Sony head unit with CD player, JL Audio amp and speakers from Boston Acoustics and MB Quart (there's also a Kicker 10.5-inch subwoofer). He checks the vitals with Auto Meter Bow Tie limited-edition gauges in a Covan Classic carbon fiber dash.
Ride Tech was called upon to supply the air suspension and Musclebar sway bars, while Wilwood 13-inch front rotors and 12-inch rears make sure the A-body has the deceleration to match its acceleration. Intro Forged Champion wheels and Yokohama tires are used all around. The front skins are 225/40ZR18s, while the backs are 275/35ZR20s. One of Anthony's few regrets is that he didn't narrow the rear end so even wider rubber could have been fitted.
Anthony drives his hot rod once a week. His biggest thrill comes from being able to cruise with his two-year-old son belted into the car seat in the back.

"It was built as a show car and cruiser, and we go to a lot of shows, but you can't expect a two-year-old to hang around for eight hours before they give out the trophies," Anthony relates. "Usually we'll go for a couple of hours and then head home." Besides, no trophy they can award will look as good as the one he drove to the event.

</ARTICLE>

Old 08-04-2012, 04:36 AM
Question Member's: Comments Please...Do you like ?

1959 Chevy Biscayne - The Last Masterpiece

Today, a fair number of '59 Impalas are still with us, but the Bel Airs and Biscaynes could almost be considered an endangered species

By Patrick Hill, Photography by Henry Dekuyper

<TIME>Super Chevy, July, 2012</TIME>
<!-- AddThis Button BEGIN -->

<!-- AddThis Button END -->

<ARTICLE>

The great thing about buying a car on a budget back in the '50s and '60s was you still got the prime-rib-level styling of the more expensive model but at a hamburger-and-fries price.
The year 1959 was the second of the new trim levels for Chevrolet's flagship car. The Impala was at the top, the Bel Air in the middle (replacing the old 210 trim level), and the Biscayne at the bottom (in place of the 150 line). The '58 Impalas were distinguished by their six taillights, while the Bel Air and Biscayne carried only four. The all-new '59 was also the last Chevy designed under Harley Earl, the legendary head of GM styling.
Today, a fair number of '59 Impalas are still with us, but the Bel Airs and Biscaynes could almost be considered an endangered species. Most Biscaynes were the cannon fodder that supported taxi cab fleets, municipalities, government agencies, and any other large group that needed cars they could get cheap and literally run into the ground. And when their usefulness was at an end and a fresh fleet of budget line vehicles ordered, they met their end as either used cars, parts donors or they were crushed into scrap metal.

But a few managed to survive, like Ellard Lambert's '59 two-door post. It was one of the lucky few that didn't end up in the boneyard, plying the roads of California until its owner decided to post it for sale on eBay.

Ellard was on the lookout for a project, but wanted something that stood out at shows and wasn't on the normal bill of fare in the aisles at shows.
"Everyone has a two-door hardtop and/or Impala. I wanted something that would stand out and thought a two-door Biscayne would be perfect."
He came across the online ad for the '59, and seeing that it was a California car knew it would be in great shape body wise. It also had all its original trim parts and pieces. The car had seen a mild restomod job sometime in the '90s, with an airbag-equipped Scott's Super Ride front clip welded onto the Biscayne's frame. Between the new front framerails a Chevrolet Performance ZZ4 crate engine was installed with a TH350 trans. The stock interior had been removed and everything recovered in rolled and pleated vinyl. In all, it was a good driver that gave Ellard the foundation he wanted to build a cool cruiser.
Once the car arrived in his driveway, Ellard started looking everything over and figuring out what needed to be done. While the car had been repainted in a decent shade of red, he had no idea what that shade was, and it didn't have the luster and depth desired. So, a repaint was in order. The custom vinyl interior had a very dated look, so it was earmarked for replacement. The ZZ4 engine ran good but also lacked an element of polish.

First up was the paint. It was expected to only take two or three months, but after some scuffing to prep for fresh primer, some rust bubbles were found in the rear wheelwell areas. Using aircraft stripper, he took these areas down to bare metal so the rust could be repaired properly. The rest of the car was scuffed, and once the body repairs were complete, primered then repsrayed in Viper Red.

A call to San Jacinto, Texas-based mobile interior craftsman Charles Powell got the Biscayne the necessary interior trappings to match its fresh hue. The original bench seat was recovered in red leather, along with the rear seats and door panels. A custom center console was built to hold the stereo and a pair of cupholders.
For sprucing up the engine, Ellard first pulled the factory cam and replaced it with a Comp Cams ***** Thumpr bumpstick. He also added a vacuum pump to help keep the power brakes working properly, an Edelbrock Air Gap intake with Endurashine treatment, along with an Endurashine-treated carb. The accessory drive was chromed up and polished as well. The TH350 trans was pitched for a Phoenix Transmissions 700-R4 and the rearend rebuilt with 3.73 gears and Posi-traction. The old drum brakes were replaced with discs, and the factory Panhard bar was also ditched in favor of a tubular, Heim-joint-equipped unit. To lower the car a bit, Ellard fitted cut-down Camaro coil springs.
Once finished, the '59 returned to the streets, fully refreshed and ready for some action. At shows it garnered lots of looks and attention, fulfilling Ellard's desire for something unique perfectly. Because it doesn't say Chevrolet anywhere on it many end up asking, "Which car company built a Biscayne?"
The '59 Chevy was Harley Earl's swan song before retirement and it took a lot of convincing on the part of its designers for him to sign off on its longer, lower, wider look. With its distinctive rear fins, cat's-eye tailights and rocket-inspired accoutrements, it was a car that turned heads and stood apart from its competition. Ellard Lambert's Biscayne keeps that statement alive and well.

</ARTICLE>

More from SuperChevy Magazine:

Old 08-04-2012, 07:29 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2011
Monte Of The Month -- April 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Awsome Chevys Space ... Thank you for sharing

Old 08-04-2012, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by Tadcaster
Awsome Chevys Space ... Thank you for sharing

You're Welcome `Tadd & they are both Red
I thought a few members would enjoy like yourself, Rick, zJerry & other's that enjoy Super Chevy's...

I love both of them & admire the work/power that the owners did to their Super Chevy's. The 59 Chevy with those rear fin's are wild 4-Sure

I've never seen one in person, but can't wait to be able to `go to some super shows & spend all day enjoying cars like above. I hope other member's enjoy....Peace/Out

Old 08-04-2012, 07:53 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2011
Monte Of The Month -- April 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Love chevys with fins on em

Old 08-04-2012, 08:00 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

That Malibu is sweet lookin' but my heart skipped a beat when I saw that '59 Biscayne. It reminds me of the '59 Impala I used to own back in High School. Thanks for bringing back some great memories 'Space!

Old 08-04-2012, 08:10 AM

Monte Of The Month -- May 2013
1 Year Member

Mike. You owned a 59 back in skool ? DAMn I bet you were top Dog!

Old 08-04-2012, 08:16 AM

Thanks `Guys, it makes me happy that you enjoyed.
The Super Chevy's site has some Super Chevy's 4-Real-Sure

The owners really put a lot of blood, sweat/tears/time & $'s into their rides...

Kudo's to the Super Chevy Site for giving owners a stage & oppurtunity to post these awesome Chevy's + details & pic's ~> 4-Sure

Old 08-04-2012, 08:59 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

Originally Posted by Ricks 2006 SS
Mike. You owned a 59 back in skool ? DAMn I bet you were top Dog!
I was a definite gear head back in High School. Freshmen weren't supposed to be eligable for Auto Shop but I made a deal with the Principal and Instructor so they'd let me into the class. I took the final exam and aced it, then became a Teacher Assitant in the class all 3 years I was there. I owned a '64 LeMans GTO my Freshman year then sold it that summer. My Sophomore year I drove the '59 then sold it and bought a '69 Camaro my Senior year.

Old 08-04-2012, 09:59 AM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

That Malibu is freakin sweet! But its the wrong color