Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Subaru BRZ coupe to start at $26,245

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 04:17 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Smile Subaru BRZ coupe to start at $26,245

Subaru BRZ coupe to start at $26,245

<HR id=bighr>

<!--This is where the subscribe if date entered in slug was -->Subaru
Subaru priced the BRZ coupe at $26,245.

By: Jake Lingeman on 4/05/2012

Related Articles
Subaru priced its rear-drive BRZ sports car
on Thursday, starting at $26,245, including $750 destination. The Limited version with an automatic transmission will sticker at $29,345.
The base model, called Premium, comes with 17-inch alloy wheels, alloy pedal covers, HID headlights and a touch-screen GPS navigation system with a 6-inch LCD display. Bluetooth connectivity is standard, as are a USB port, power locks and windows and keyless entry.
The Limited model adds Alcantara seat inserts with leather bolsters, dual-zone automatic climate control, fog lights, keyless ignition and a spoiler.
The BRZ, which is the badge-engineered sister car of the Scion FR-S, houses a 2.0-liter boxer engine making 200 hp and 151 lb-ft of torque. A six-speed manual is standard, and a six-speed automatic with paddle shifters is optional. Enthusiasts will like the Torsen limited-slip differential and double-wishbone suspension.
A limited number of Subaru BRZ coupes will hit dealerships before the end of spring.

<IFRAME height=360 src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/59RJCgpy00Y" frameBorder=0 width=640 allowfullscreen=""></IFRAME>

<IFRAME height=360 src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/B_Ow7Hq997A" frameBorder=0 width=640 allowfullscreen=""></IFRAME>

Old 04-06-2012, 07:50 AM

I like the FR-S More & it's less $'s

The 2013 Scion FR-S (known in Japan as the Toyota 86) is a rear-wheel drive sports coupe that comes to Canada in the spring.

Photograph by: Alexandra Straub , for Postmedia News

TOKYO, Japan • In the foothills of Mount Fuji, at the legendary Fuji Speedway, journalists from around the globe received a sneak preview, and seat time, of the Toyota 86 that is coming to Canada this spring badged as the Scion FR-S.
The prim and polished two-door coupe oozes sportiness. The FR-S, which stands for Front-engine, Rear-wheel drive, Sport, will be the fifth model to join the Scion stable here in the Great White North.
The FR-S’s profile styling is inspired by Toyota’s 2000GT (hence the low stance of the hood and roofline), while the vehicle itself draws its heritage from the AE86 generation of Corolla, more commonly known in Japanese as Hachi-Roku, meaning 8-6. The AE86’s most recognizable characteristic on the FR-S is the upward protruding front fenders that showcase the ‘86’ piston emblem. Combined with an aerodynamic silhouette and set of 17-inch alloy wheels, this Scion is not business as usual.
Better still, the commanding road presence and exterior good looks of the FR-S were no match for the emotions evoked while behind the wheel on the track.
As my fingers grasped the sport steering wheel and my body was enveloped by the extremely-low-to-the-ground driver’s seat, the checkered flag waved and the fleet of FR-S’s was off. Thanks to its ultra-low centre of gravity — it boasts the lowest hip-point of any Scion production vehicle — and a dynamically tuned front MacPherson strut and rear double wishbone suspension, the FR-S’s road hugging abilities inspired confidence on a slick and slippery track.
In true modern-day sports car fashion, turning off the Vehicle Stability Control (VSC) is an option, although we were encouraged by the brand’s representatives to leave it on due to the somewhat adverse track conditions. Had it been sunny and dry, the lack of the computer nanny would have no doubt another dimension to the FR-S. Next time, perhaps.
Power comes from a zesty, naturally aspirated 2.0-litre engine, a product of a unique and symbiotic relationship with Japanese automakers Toyota and Subaru. Mounted front mid-ship, it is the world’s first horizontally opposed D-4S engine created from the combined DNA of Subaru’s newly developed engine technology with Toyota’s D-4S direct injection technology. Trust me, this is no unholy union. The system allows for both direct and port injection, resulting in a preliminary specification of 200 horsepower and 151 lbs.-ft of torque.
Harnessing that power comes in two choices — a close-ratio 6-speed manual gearbox or a 6-speed automatic, the latter complete with steering wheel-mounted paddle shifters.
On the track, the power is delivered smoothly and promptly through both transmissions. While personal preferences steer me towards the manual, I found the 6-speed automatic to be almost as impressive. The weight of the steering balances comfort — ideal for everyday driving — with firmness, in case you find yourself at the Fuji Speedway or any track at that.
As to the cabin, the FR-S sticks to the functional, a clear indication that the designers don’t want the driver to be distracted by a plethora of buttonage that typifies many a sports car centre stack. Rather, it’s to-the-point and straightforward. That said, it lacks a little flare for my taste. Then again, the FR-S exterior makes up for it more than adequately.
Furthermore, the attention to detail in the steering wheel and seats has not been overlooked. With a steering wheel diameter of 365 mm, it is the smallest in a Toyota-brand vehicle. And according to the engineers, the wheel was “optimized with exhaustive feedback from test drivers to enhance steering performance and grip.” Whatever that means, they hit the nail on the head.
When sitting up front, the FR-S’ seatbacks and cushion surfaces where designed to provide maximum support during acceleration, and the seat shape was contoured so one’s elbow wouldn’t interfere with the driving operation. Another winning combination.
After some track time, the 2013 Scion FR-S demonstrated it has the inspiration from the past and the DNA of the present to make it what it needs to have against its competitors — a fun-to-drive and emotionally engaging rear-wheel drive sports coupe. If only we could have them right now.

Old 04-06-2012, 09:01 AM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

Man it would be a hard choice on which one id pick lol have to look at em both side by side

Old 04-06-2012, 09:27 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

That one looks pretty sweet! But I'm still pretty sure the Scion they are to really here does not look that good.

Old 04-06-2012, 09:43 AM

Hi `Brent,
I think that one has some of the factory add on's & if you don't like the way it looks you could have `Mike(JG) make it look any way you want it 2 look... LOL

I like them & think they would be a blast to drive..., but I've also been reading about the Hyundai Genesis Coupe with the 2L Turbo & it's become a great handling & running `ride.
I just dream a lot, but it's fun 4-Sure...

Oh, Congrat's on leading the MCF NASCAR points
Wish you a Super WeekEnd & Easter Bunnies or PlayBoy bunnies

Old 04-06-2012, 11:34 AM

I like the shift **** & e-brake stitching on the BRZ... but I think I'll still go for a 2014 STI in a few years

Good to see Subie making a comeback though.

I'm banking on the hope that it won't look EXACTLY like this concept... they're not too far off from a super attractive design. But the specs are a selling point enough

Last edited by milrlyt; 04-06-2012 at 11:38 AM.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:39 PM

imports are just not for me :/

Old 04-06-2012, 07:36 PM
Zen
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I so want a black FR-S
Can't wait till we start getting them in.

Old 04-06-2012, 07:54 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013

I'd like to drive either one. I love a small sports car with a manual transmission, I like to pretend I'm a race car driver.

Old 04-06-2012, 09:49 PM

N00B SAIB0T

There's something about the roar of an exhaust from the boxer engine that will make this car stand out from your typical import. I like the FRS too, more so than the BRZ.

Quick Reply: Subaru BRZ coupe to start at $26,245