Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Stupid people!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 03:13 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Stupid people!

Ok, this is more directed at new drivers... As some of you guys know, my new job deals with local schools networks, which means sometimes I have to go to the school to work on the network and servers. So that's what I was doing today. I got finished around 2:00, by the time I got all my stuff collected and talked to the tech coordinator at the High school and was ready to leave it was 2:20 (dismissal is 2:15). So I'm walking through the back parking lot to get to my car, and kids are zooming all over in their ricers with big mufflers and all you hear is bass from various subs.

So a few kids were crossing in front of a car and I'm crossing behind it to get to mine, and this stupid kid with way too many kids in the car (local law is one driver, one passenger, unless the passengers are family). This kid doesn't stop and by the time I was at the passenger side of his car my leg and his car were so close, if they didn't rub together, you couldn't fit a feather between us. His passenger screamed because she thought he was going to hit me.... (Oh his a$$ would have been in BIG trouble had he done that).

So I'm in my car and I'm going to leave out the back gate to get on the freeway, it's piled up because everyone wants to get out. So long story short, I get to the gate, and look down the street, the gap wasn't big enough (in my opinion) to safely turn out in front of these other cars, but the kids behind me (with maybe 4 months of driving experience didn't think that was the case). So they're all yelling and waving their hands, personally I don't give a ---- what these idiots have to say. So I pull out and I'm heading for the freeway but we had to stop because the car in front of me and the car in front of him both had to make a left. The first turns, then a car comes in the other lane so the guy in front of me waits. As he's turning I'm watching in my mirror and here comes the car behind me (those same kids, also 5 in the car) they must not see I'm stopping since they're not paying attention. At the last minute they slam on the brakes and hop the curb.

I didn't think they hit me but I got out anyways, and I checked my bumper, no damage, I go to get back in the car and the one yells out "Thanks a lot you a** h*le!"

Calmly I turned around and said to them, well if you had been paying attention and were following the laws this wouldn't have happened. The speed limit here is only 35, you can only have 1 other passenger and I was stopped for a good 20 seconds. You should have been watching instead of being "the cool kid with a car" because now you're the dumb kid on a curb. Have a nice day!

And I drove off. Moral of the story, maybe we should have stricter drivers tests for these new drivers. I personally got 100% on both (road and parallel parking). Now we don't do that we do "maneuverability"

Oh well...

Old 03-08-2011, 04:10 PM

I look up to you, I would have cussed up a storm in a hearbeat!

Old 03-08-2011, 04:26 PM

You sound like a grumpy old man. Don't act like you were so innocent when you were a teenager.

I do think driving test should be harder for not only new drivers, but the elderly too. With all the distractions of cell phones and what-not, driving has become more dangerous. And as far as old people that still have/renewing liscenses, that scares me just as much. I fear for my grandma's life and all others when she drives around. Thankfully she doesn't drive much at all lately. She has to be around 80.

Oh, and STAY OFF MY LAWN!

Old 03-08-2011, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by jimbo7
You sound like a grumpy old man. Don't act like you were so innocent when you were a teenager.

I do think driving test should be harder for not only new drivers, but the elderly too. With all the distractions of cell phones and what-not, driving has become more dangerous. And as far as old people that still have/renewing liscenses, that scares me just as much. I fear for my grandma's life and all others when she drives around. Thankfully she doesn't drive much at all lately. She has to be around 80.

Oh, and STAY OFF MY LAWN!
Innocent, no. However, I never had any close calls because my dad taught me well. He taught me how to drive "flashy" but still be in control and he also taught me to know when to pull it back and how to expect the unexpected. I consider myself lucky to have a really good tutor. Most people have parents that drive just as bad as the kids and others just don't care.

Honestly, I'm all for setting an age limit where you have to retake the driving test (until I hit that age and have to take it ). My grandfather was that way. If he started talking he would zone out. We were having a conversation and he came up on an intersection with a red light. He did even see it. I'm sitting there going light light light light light. I had to give him a little smack on the head to get his attention. . Luckily he stopped before he got in the intersection, though.

Old 03-08-2011, 07:56 PM

I had to laugh at the grandpa incident, hahaha.
Glad to hear he stopped in time, I admit, when the sun is shining the sunroof opens, music blares and I haul ***.

Old 03-08-2011, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by Jomao_o
I admit, when the sun is shining the sunroof opens, music blares and I haul ***.
Oh sorry officer, I thought you wanted to race!

Old 03-09-2011, 10:56 AM

mogwog, i totally agree with you for harder test, and frankly i think people need to be retested every so often... I'm no profesional race car driver by any means...
the problems stems from bad drivers teaching new drivers... Driving schools teaching you the rules of the road, but not the comon sense that should go along with it or how to handle your car...

I can be pretty wreckless with my car, on my own time on an empty road or parking lot at 2am in the morning... but at that age, i was for sure a bit more wreckless then now... my biggest problem now is speeding, not as many e-brakes, tires cost to much haha

Old 03-09-2011, 02:41 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

I believe all kids should be made to participate in a few autocross events. I don't autocross often these days, but MAN, it helps a LOT! You are trying to drive a car both FAST while KEEPING control. I went into a slalem way too hot with my '84 Camaro that it began giving me the same feeling it did when i spun out driving it in the winter. It's a priceless and yet fun learning experience. Handling is just not something new drivers really get exposed to.

I feel that drivers should have periodic intervals where they have to re-take the road portion of the test (like you do when you are a teenager).

And in closing.... Kids are kids. Some joy ride safely and some become a stat to Darwin-ism. Sadly when you have a school fool of kids, you get mindless craziness. And no matter how we want to admit to it, we were all there in some way or another.