Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

On the Street Competition : )

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 05:57 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Question On the Street Competition : )

by MOTORWEEK

ENGINE: dual-overhead-cam, 24-valve V6
HORSEPOWER: 332
TORQUE: 270 lb feet
0-60 mph: 5.1 seconds
1/4 mile: 13.7 seconds @ 105 mph
60-0 mph: 119 feet
EPA: 18 mpg city/ 26 mpg highway
2009 Nissan 370Z
Program #2825

When Nissan's first Z-car arrived for 1970 as the Datsun 240Z, no one predicted the enormous acclaim this affordable sports car would enjoy. But over time and redesigns, Nissan lost its focus and the Z grew expensive and fat. That's why when the reworked 2003 Nissan 350Z drove back to basics, everyone applauded. Well now, for 2009 it's time for a Z update again. So, let's see if the crowd will still roar.
Avoiding the mistakes that ultimately doomed the first Z-car series, Nissan approached this iconic re-design with an eye toward maintaining balance, carefully adding technology to enhance performance and comfort while also trimming weight and size to retain its nimble and sporty nature.
Styling updates are somewhat subtle. At first glance, the overall shape is similar, with familiar proportions to the wide stubby nose and canopy-style cockpit. But the rear hatch angle is less steep now, and character lines like the upswept rear quarter windows and artful head- and tail-lamps add sizzle to what was becoming a bland design. It's racy, with a few bits borrowed from the big brother GT-R's insolent aggression.
At 100.4, almost 4 inches has been chopped from the 370Z's wheelbase. That was done by moving the rear wheels forward. The car is also shorter, slightly wider, and lower with a corresponding lower center of gravity.
Weight savings come from using aluminum for the doors, hood and hatch, as well as carbon-fiber for key structural braces and the shorter driveshaft. New technology and safety features add back a few pounds, but the net result is 95 pounds under the previous Z.
Motivation comes from Nissan's corporate dual-overhead-cam, 24-valve V6, now displacing 3.7 liters, hence the name change. The engine is also used in the Infiniti G37. Horsepower is up 26, now standing at 332. Torque bumps up a couple pound-feet, to 270. Transmitting power to the pavement is a new 7-speed paddle shifter automatic or our tester's 6-speed manual gear box with the world's first synchronized downshift rev-matching feature. This gizmo recognizes when a lower gear is selected and blips the throttle for smoother clutch engagement; much like heel-and-toeing, but without the fancy footwork. For the purists, it can be turned off. UP-shifting with the closely spaced gearbox results in 0 to 60 times of 5.1 seconds. The full quarter-mile flashes by in 13.7 seconds at 105 miles-per-hour.
Power delivery is smooth all the way to the 7500-RPM redline, and a noticeably deeper growl resonates from the Z's dual exhausts. We pushed the Z through sustained high-speed lapping around Savannah, Georgia's Roebling Road Raceway, where Nissan's new balancing act really paid off.
A new double-wishbone front suspension and stiffer 4-link rear setup combine with new "high-response" shocks at each corner to reduce impact harshness and improve grip.
The tighter body structure, smaller footprint and refined suspension all combine for handling that is easily on par with much pricier machines.
The overall attitude is neutral with sharp turn-ins, responsive steering and just enough power-on over steer to keep things entertaining but still under control.
The 370Z squirts from corner to corner with a fluid grace, connecting the driver with the road in a way all but forgotten by today's hyper-fast, do-it-all-for-you supercars, including the GT-R. And it brakes fast too: a short 119 feet on average from 60 to 0 with a nice firm pedal.
Perhaps more impressive is how the Z handles routine driving. Three days on the track and then fifteen hours straight on the Interstate and zero complaints. Especially with Government Fuel Economy ratings of 18 city/26 highway and a cruising range of more than 450 miles. The driver sits in a still cozy cockpit with better-quality materials and more upscale details in the stitching and trim. And, yes, there is finally a proper glove box.
The standard cloth bucket seats have anti-slip inserts, but our touring model upgrades with leather trim plus seat power and heat. Lateral support is good without being too firm.

Tach and speedo needles spin in a brushed-look hooded pod which still moves with the tilt wheel. Ancillary gauges reside in a signature triple cluster atop the center dash, stacked, in our car, above touch-screen navigation, a Bose CD stereo with XM, and rotary ***** for the climate controls.
The intrusive strut brace that once divided and diminished the cargo area has been moved forward and incorporated behind the seats, along with a small parcel shelf and a pair of bins. Pricing for the 2009 370Z starts at a budget-friendly $29,930 for the manual trans base car and climbs to a still-reasonable $35,760 for a Touring Edition automatic. It speaks volumes that the Z was our favorite track car in a pit lane shared with stars from Audi, BMW and Porsche. The Nissan 370Z is much more than just retro-cool. It rockets back to what sport cars were meant to be: Eye catching and nothing but fun to drive. It is, in a word , amazing!
__________________________________________________ ___

...Member's what do you think of the Z ?
Will the v-6 Camaro be able to keep `up or beat the Z ?...Just sharing whats out there on the highways.
Post your thoughts/opinions...Would U buy one ?

Old 06-20-2009, 06:02 AM

2010 Chevrolet Camaro coupe

Base Price

$23,040-$27,375

2010 Chevrolet Camaro V6 and V8 Performance Test Results - Car News

We strap our test gear to GM’s latest high-performance jewel.
BY MIKE SUTTON
March 2009

Well, the wait is over. After some hands-on quality time with Chevrolet’s new 2010 Camaro—to which we finally were able to strap test gear—we can report that GM’s latest muscle car is indeed one quick machine. How quick depends on if you opt for the base model and its 304-hp, 3.6-liter V-6 or the SS version, which features a 6.2-liter V-8 that makes 400 hp when mated to the optional six-speed automatic transmission and 426 hp when backed by the standard six-speed manual. Either way, Camaro buyers will be getting one seriously capable performance car.
So, How Fast is It?
The quickest of the new Camaros is the SS model with the automatic gearbox, which sprints to 60 mph in 4.6 seconds. While this is 0.2 second better than the more powerful, manual-equipped car’s time of 4.8, the off-the-line advantage quickly fades, with the manual tripping the quarter-mile lights in 13 seconds flat at 111 mph versus the auto’s 13.1 at 109. As the arrival of the Camaro brings the modern pony car wars into full swing, it only makes sense to compare the SS to the 315-hp 2010 Mustang GT and the 376-hp Dodge Challenger R/T, both of which manage the 0-to-60-mph run in 5.1 seconds. The 425-hp Challenger SRT8 is a better match for the SS at 4.8 seconds, yet is considerably more expensive than the Camaro.
But don’t assume you need to blow at least $31K on the SS to have a good time, as the $23K base model can hit 60 in 5.9 seconds and cover the quarter-mile in 14.5 at 99 mph. Unfortunately, we only were able to test the V-6 with the six-speed manual, so stay tuned for a future test of the base car with the six-speed automatic, likely the lineup’s volume seller. With nearly as much power as the V-8–powered Mustang GT, the V-6 Camaro easily beats the standard V-6 Stang, which runs from 0 to 60 mph in 6.5 seconds and does the quarter-mile in 15.5 at 93 mph. The V-6, automatic-only Challenger SE fares even worse, with 60 mph coming up in 7.5 seconds and the quarter mile in 15.8 at 90 mph. However, V-6 Camaro drivers should beware of lining up next to any 2010 Hyundai Genesis coupes with the optional 3.8-liter V-6, as the 306-hp import bests the V-6 Camaro with a 5.5-second 0–60 sprint and a quarter-mile run of 14.2 at 100 mph. Bring on the comparison tests.
Click here to read our full test of the V-8 Camaro SS.
Click here to read our full test of the V-6 Camaro.
Click here to read Camaro features, options, and fuel economy.

Last edited by Space; 06-20-2009 at 06:05 AM.
Old 06-20-2009, 06:55 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007

These 2 carz are not even in the same class. Apples and oranges. 4 wheels and tires, sheet metal, an engine, and all the basics are the same, but the Nissan 370Z has been refined, refined again, and refined even more, until it has become a FINE road machine, that took the really good 350Z to the next level. How do I know this? I'm taking the word of a good friend of mine, Joe Pavich, of JPMCoachworks. http://www.jpmcoachworks.com
How does he know, and for that matter WHY would he know, and why would I believe him? Joe is a customizer. He did the interior in Lucy, LadyT's '07 Solstice GXP. For you Speed TV freaks (like me), anyone watching the series that ended this spring "Bullrun" you saw a red and black Solstice run by Tony and Theresa from Vegas. That Solstice has been in the last 2 SEMA shows, the last one in the Mothers display. Joe Pavich did the interior in the car (which is named Soul Food) Bill Hahn Jr built the car. It runs 12.01 in the 1/4, making it (to my knowledge) the quickest Solstice/Sky in the nation, at least those still running Ecotecs, as there a LOT of V8 conversions, including some LS7's out there.

Joe does interiors, stereos, and about anything else you want done. He has done several Solstice interiors, and he has the better part of a hide of Ferrari Red Italian leather sitting there with my name on it waiting to finish my project.

So what is the latest HOT vehicle for JPM Joe to work on? The Nissan 370Z. He has told me the refinement of this vehicle has taken that really nice 350Z to a whole new level of automobile. Not just a HOT sports car, but a REALLY refined automobile, definately world class. Add Joe's special touch, a little tuning (cuz the auto companies ALWAYS detune a little bit!) and you have one helluv an automobile for not a whole lotta moola!

The Camaro has the potential, but it is an over weight hunk of Detroit iron, a day late and a $ short. Ther is NO refinement in the Camaro, and anyone that has looked at one can easily see that. The paint is PO-THETIC! They had 3 at MIS last week, and only one had good paint, and that was the one of a kind Dale Jr. Camaro built by GM performance. I can't argue that the Camaro is a good looking car. It looks just as good as it's almost identical cousin the Dodge Challenger. Refinement? Not there.

When someone that works on some of the nicest cars around tells me that the Nissan 370Z is one hell of a car, I listen. Nissan has taken 4" from it's height and almost 100# from the previous Z car, added 26 hp, and has devoped yet another fabulous machine for those that TRULY love to DRIVE their cars, and I'm not talking about to the grocery store.

The Pontiac Solstice and the Saturn Sky had that potential. (We have 350 bhp from our basically stock 2.0L turbo Ecotec). But they are now gone. The Vette ZR1 is the top dog from GM. Ford has the Shelby GT 500 and the high $$$ GT 500. Money being no object, yes there are better cars. But for mid-$30's, the Nissan 370Z represents a great car for the driving enthusiast.

The new Camaro took WAY too long to get to market. The overal fit is pretty good, and the interior is nice. But the finish is down right poor, compared to most anything out there. If GM continues to build cars the quality of the new Camaro, there will be no more GM.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 06-20-2009, 07:58 AM

...`Rock N `Wayne, thanks again for your detailed/informative post/words..What is the competition
in the $20K ~ 30K+ range ?

I do like what Nissan has done to the Z, and would love to test drive one. Great pkg 4 the $'s 4 Sure...

OK member's...post what you think is competition in this range ? Thanks `all in advance : )

2009 Nissan 370Z - First Test numbers for the new Nissan 370Z ...

What's the 2009 Nissan 370Z's secret? Simply put: Nissan turned to the tried-and-true sports-car formula of cutting weight, reducing size, and adding power.
www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...2009_nissan_370z...test/index.html - Cached - Similar

Video results for 2009 Nissan 370Z Road Tests ?

All New 2009 Nissan 370Z Road Test
3 min 58 sec
www.youtube.com

~SUPER VID's
Edmunds' Inside Line-2009 Nissan 370Z Road Test
3 min 53 sec
video.aol.com

News results for 2009 Nissan 370Z Road Tests ?

2009 Nissan NISMO 370Z - Short Take Road Test‎ - 11 hours ago
Nissan's performance division, NISMO, has attempted to do just that with the 370Z. The question is, have they given the Z-car extra pizzazz or gone too far? ...
Car and Driver

2009 Nissan 370Z Full Test and Video on Inside Line

A full test of the new 2009 Nissan 370Z with its 332-hp V6 engine, including full ... Our 2009 Nissan 370Z test car also wore the optional Sport package, ...
www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/.../FullTests/articleId=136547 - Cached - Similar

Road & Track Magazine - Full Test: 2009 Nissan 370Z (1/2009)

Now smaller, lighter and more powerful, Nissan's 330-bhp rear-drive sports car is a tightly packed bundle of high-performance muscle.,
www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?article_id=7241...id... - Cached - Similar

Last edited by Space; 06-20-2009 at 08:06 AM.
Old 06-20-2009, 08:01 AM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2009
I'M NOT OLD, I'M JUST WELL MARINATED.
5 Year Member

I'll take the Z over the Camaro any day.

Old 06-20-2009, 03:59 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007

Not sure of the exact numbers, but isnt the Camaro SS in the same price range as the 370Z ?

Old 06-21-2009, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by RocknSS04
Not sure of the exact numbers, but isnt the Camaro SS in the same price range as the 370Z ?

Hi `Wayne, yes they are pretty close in price range.
Before I would consider purchasing either, I would
really want to test drive a new SS & the new 370Z.
What I like about the SS is the V8 & Raw Power,
plus the sounds a Chevy V8 makes : )
The Z is more sports, and I think from reviews
that it's a Handler : ) & it has been perfected
compared to the road suspensions on a Camaro.
It would be a difficult choice, and the future
will decide which one holds it's value better,
and which one sells more.
Thanks everyone for your post/input
to this thread topic.
EnJoy your Highway's.
Peace/Out

Old 06-22-2009, 07:49 AM

2009 Nissan Nismo 370Z gains power, starts at less than $40,000
http://www.autoweek.com/article/2009...NEWS/906179973
Click 2 View/Read
The latest iteration of Nissan’s factory-tuned Z car comes in at just less than $40,000 as it goes on sale Wednesday in the United States.The 2009 Nismo 370Z starts at $39,850, including a $720 destination charge. The car offers enthusiasts more power, a sport-tuned suspension and aero improvements ... Published 06/17/09, 4:23 pm et

Last edited by Space; 06-22-2009 at 07:51 AM.