Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Smashed Mirror

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 08:33 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I've seen mirrors at NAPA and Advanced Auto for $100 and less.

Your pictures weren't coming up for me earlier. I was thinking maybe the mirror just fell out or something. I have had three mirrors fall out of cars (not knocked out). First time was in our '93 Chevy. Slammed the door in 10 degree weather and the darned thing just fell out. Second time was the Suburban in the exact opposite weather, 105 degrees, , darn thing just fell out in the driveway. Third time was I took the cover off my Torino to find I didn't have a mirror glass. Found it stuck to the cover, had gotten hot under the cover in the yard and the darn thing just fell out. Glue was wet. Had it glued in by a glass shop and hoping it sticks.

Old 10-07-2011, 09:00 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by mousehousemoparman
Just an option or opinion. You can pick up comprehensive which is relatively cheap.
I'll look into that also, all depends, my insurance guy and I usually go through all the options. We have 4 cars, I have full coverage on the Monte and my new Fusion. I used to carry comprehensive on my wifes mini van then a couple of years ago my insurance guy told me not to waste my money any more b/c the BB value is so low if I ever wreck it, he wouldn't even have to write a check to cover it. So we dropped that down to liability. Then the truck I carried full because I don't trust people, plus RWD can sometimes be a b***ch come NE Ohio Winter time, so just in case. But I ended up dropping it to liability when I switched jobs.

Originally Posted by 03JGMonte
I had the mirror knocked outta my gmc awhile back ended up buying a new mirror cuz it was cheaper than the glass
I've looked at AutoZone, O'Reilly, etc. for just the glass, but they've all got the turn signal arrows in them, which I don't need. Everything on that truck is manual - windows, locks, the works. So I found one manual one at a junk yard in Cleveland. I think I'm just going to get the whole assembly, and just swap out the mirror part itself, since you can unbolt it at the swivel point and swap it there without having to take the whole part off the truck and pop a whole new one on.

Old 10-07-2011, 09:03 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

U should beable to pop the triangle trim piece off on the inside & 3 bolts & the mirror is off & mine has signals, heat all that crap & its a work truck model lol

Old 10-07-2011, 10:47 PM

[QUOTE=Mike 00LS;371168]I'll look into that also, all depends, my insurance guy and I usually go through all the options. We have 4 cars, I have full coverage on the Monte and my new Fusion. I used to carry comprehensive on my wifes mini van then a couple of years ago my insurance guy told me not to waste my money any more b/c the BB value is so low if I ever wreck it, he wouldn't even have to write a check to cover it. So we dropped that down to liability. Then the truck I carried full because I don't trust people, plus RWD can sometimes be a b***ch come NE Ohio Winter time, so just in case. But I ended up dropping it to liability when I switched jobs.

The comprehensive is really cheap to buy on the older cars. I think I pay maybe 30.00 for six months coverage. I keep it primarily for the windshield coverage. I usually have to fight with the insurance agent to get that coverage. They don't like to sell it without full coverage, but will if challenged. Like on your wife's minivan, what would a windshield cost? Unless you do it yourself, I bet a lot more than the comp ins. That's the way I look at it on my cars.

Old 10-08-2011, 01:10 PM

Found a junk yard in Barberton that had a replacement for me.

$40, not bad at all. Well I didn't know how easy it was to change - I thought the door panel had to come off, but you just pop off the plastic triangle, remove the foam and there's the 3 bolts, old one off, new one on, tighten up and we're good to go!

Old 10-08-2011, 02:01 PM

^^My 96 GMC was the same way. I had to change mirrors and it was extremely simple, even with the power mirrors that I had.

Old 10-08-2011, 10:23 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member

Glad you didn't have to pay much to replace the mirror.

Old 10-08-2011, 10:56 PM

I am also glad that you found an easy inexpensive fix.

Old 10-08-2011, 11:06 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

Glad u found one cheap

Old 10-09-2011, 08:39 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Cool. Glad it wasn't too expensive. Good job!

Quick Reply: Smashed Mirror