Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Slavery still exists today, Sea Food Industry

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 09:42 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Slavery still exists today, Sea Food Industry

While going through news stories I happened upon a particularly sad and upsetting story. While we go about our day to day lives and our first world problems, across the ocean there are people being kept as slaves in rusty cages. I'm like what?, so I just had to read the article, watch the video. That another human can dominate another human so totally in todays day and age that they can be kept enslaved brings out the hate in me. There has to be, there must be a way they can make their mountains of gold besides off the backs of modern day slaves.

These lost souls are kidnapped or are brought in under false pretenses to work for pay and then the nightmare begins. Being kept in locked cages at all times when not working 20 - 22 hour days most will never see their home again. If they resist toxic ****** stingray tails are used to beat and subdue them back into submission. If they resisted at sea it used to be the bodies were thrown overboard and fed to the sharks, since this came to light now all people must be manifested as they leave and accounted for upon return, with the dead packed along side the iced fish.

How can this be brought to an end? It just has to be knowingly permitted to happen as corrupt officials take their bribes. I feel helpless and totally saddened to know why I'm walking about over here lolly gagging about day after day that across the ocean there are people forced to live in cages with no hope for anything ever. Man have we got it easy over here, it just seems I can only think what a total unadulterated tragedy and where is God in all of this. How could this be permitted to happen? The world is so upside down anymore.

Copied from the article:

“I want to go home. We all do,” one man called out in Burmese, a cry repeated by others. The AP is not using the names of some men for their safety. “Our parents haven’t heard from us for a long time. I’m sure they think we are dead.”

Another glanced fearfully over his shoulder toward the captain’s quarters, and then yelled: “It’s torture. When we get beaten, we can’t do anything back. … I think our lives are in the hands of the Lord of Death.”

“If Americans and Europeans are eating this fish, they should remember us,” said Hlaing Min, 30, a runaway slave from Benjina. “There must be a mountain of bones under the sea. … The bones of the people could be an island, it’s that many.”

Link to the whole article below:

Slaves kept in locked cages catch seafood that ends up in global supply chain: ?I want to go home. We all do? | National Post

Old 03-26-2015, 09:55 AM

Sadly `Greg, we don't have to go overseas to find Slavery It's right here in the good old USA
Yes, so many of us take our freedoms 4-granted & abuse what many have fought to obtain...I truly believe it will not change unless there's a wake `up call (major incident) in America & the people get involved... If not, we shall fail Maybe a member here will do something...Thanks for posting another serious problem in our country > in our World.... We all must ask ourselves "What am I doing to make it better?"

The Beach Bum Family believes that the USA should take care of it's own country b-4 it goes to other countries & attempt to solve their problems...We should solve our problems 1st & lead by example & not by force. Would you let your family starve & go & feed others ? I would not (I would share what I could, but my first priority is 2 take care of my own first)

A Toolkit for Action 2015: Modern Slavery - Presbyterian ...

www.pcusa.org/.../toolkit-action-2015-mod...
Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)

A Toolkit for Action 2015: Modern Slavery. ... Human Trafficking 101"; A guide to U.S.and international law regarding human trafficking; A copy of 2006 PC(USA) ...

Sex Slaves on the Farm - Newsweek

www.newsweek.com/2015/02/13/sex-slaves-farm-304354.html

By Max Kutner / February 5, 2015 9:43 AM EST ... The U.S. Department of State estimates that traffickers bring some 14,500 to 17,500 people into the United ...

National Slavery and Human Trafficking Prevention Month

www.dhs.gov/.../2015/...
United States Department of Homeland Security

Jan 20, 2015 - These powerful reminders that slavery endures in the United Statescompel us to work together to end human trafficking. ... January 20, 2015.

Last edited by BeachBumMike; 03-26-2015 at 10:01 AM.