Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Save the pet industry

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 07:47 AM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month - April 2008
Default Save the pet industry

Congressional hearing on H.R. 669 which would ban NONNATIVE SPECIES to be held on APRIL 23. ACTION NEEDED!
http://www.pijac.org/files/public/US_HR_669.pdf

According to what I understand, dogs, cats and goldfish will be the only things safe.
What really sucks is the ones you already own can't be transported across state lines (even for medical attention) and it sounds like the pet stores wouldn't be able to even sell the supplies. So if I needed to take Dusty (Timneh African Grey parrot) to some specilist out of state - too bad. BULLSH!T Almost all of my aquarium/pond fish would be included in that also. You can't even move to a different state and take your nonnative pet.

Do these freakin idiots not realize just HOW MANY PEOPLE will be affected and how many people will be WITHOUT a job if this passes? The pet industry is big business.

I also wonder how many people realize that their pet IS nonnative. Hamsters, gerbils, gerbils, guinea pigs, birds, reptiles, fish....

If your guppies have babies, you'll be breaking the law.

Old 04-09-2009, 08:31 AM

Hi `Becky,

No wonder our World has so many problems Instead of spending their congressional time attempting to correct the many Human Being problems in our Country, they are spending their time on Nonnative Species, instead of the Human Being Species Problems

"Ignorance of the Law is No Excuse, or Defense" Which means,
we must know all the laws in our Country ? Even `if you stayed in law school 4-ever, you would never be able to know all the laws.
Makes me wanta `go back 2 my`Space : )

I did a search on the below bill, and Googles has many links
on the subject. Below are just a few.

<LI about="r17">HR 669 : CONGRESSIONAL HEARING BANNING NONNATIVE SPECIES APR... Page 9- HR 669 : CONGRESSIONAL HEARING BANNING NONNATIVE SPECIES APRIL 23, 2009 ACTION NEEDED General Freshwater.
www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1... - 110k - Similar pages
http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums...=188837&page=9

<LI about="r18">BackYardChickens Forum / CONGRESS HEARING ON HR 669 WOULD BA... CONGRESS HEARING ON HR 669 WOULD BAN NONNATIVE SPECIES - April 23. Would all who are on other bird lists please send the message below to those lists? ...
www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid... - 17k - Similar pages
http://www.backyardchickens.com/foru...hp?pid=1894887

<LI about="r19">OpenCongress - U.S. Congress - H.R.669 Nonnative Wildlife In... April 03, 2009 Congressional Hearing Banning Nonnative Species April 23 Action . .. I just read about this HR 669 in the last Reptiles Mag issue, ...
www.opencongress.org/bill/1/111-h669/show - 49k - Similar pages
http://www.opencongress.org/bill/1/111-h669/show

<LI about="r20">PET COMMUNITY UNDER SIEGE On April 23rd 2009, The House Natural Resources Committee of the United States Congress will hold a hearing on HR 669, a resolution that if passed, ...
www.scserp.com/SCS_Legislation_Federal_H.R.%2066... - 8k - Similar pages

Old 04-09-2009, 08:46 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Sounds like yet another proposed law that some politician came up with under pressure of some special interest group. An idea that wasn't really thought all the way through. Or didn't do any research first.

I expect that when all the flaws in the proposed law are exposed, it'll either be shot down or watered down drastically.

Old 04-09-2009, 09:51 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member

some politician's dog was killed by an exotic pet.

Old 04-09-2009, 10:06 AM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2009
I'M NOT OLD, I'M JUST WELL MARINATED.
5 Year Member

They better not come after my Betta fishes cause i'll run them over with my neighbors Furd dually.

This way i wont damage my MC.

Old 04-09-2009, 10:14 AM
Photobucket

I believe the reasoning behind it is to keep potentially harmful or invasive species out, which yes, some do need to be controlled. However, they are not distinguishing between the two.
I "think" that snakehead fish was introduced through a commercial fisher. If so, how will that bill address things like that. It wasn't brought in for pet purposes, it hitched a ride.

Old 04-09-2009, 10:15 AM
Photobucket

Originally Posted by JJsRYD
They better not come after my Betta fishes cause i'll run them over with my neighbors Furd dually.

This way i wont damage my MC.

You won't be able to breed them or move to another state with them.

And if they want to be technical, dogs, cats, and goldfish are NOT native either. Horses, cows, chickens.......the list goes on and on.
The things that ARE native here, most are protected by State or Fed laws, so you can't have them either.

Last edited by dustybird3; 04-09-2009 at 10:17 AM.
Old 04-09-2009, 07:39 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Leave it to the politicians! They can screw up just about anything if someone like PETA puts up enough lobby money to persuade the overpaid beurocrats.

Old 04-09-2009, 07:43 PM
Photobucket

PETA would love this to pass. They would also rather it include dogs and cats. They think dogs and cats living in luxury as pets is the same as slavery.

Old 04-09-2009, 07:54 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member

Oh man. Don't get me started on PETA.

Not native species: Shih-tzu puppies
Native species: Buffaloes

Now if you'll excuse me I need to go walk my Buffalo. Sounds like a euphemism for something don't it?

(wondering how many people are now looking up the meaning of "euphemism") :p

Quick Reply: Save the pet industry