Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Should cars be made to go over 100+MPH ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 05:11 AM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Should cars be made to go over 100+MPH ?

[align=center]Why do auto companies make vehicles to go over the speed limits ?[/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]If the national average speed limit is 70 MPH, why are cars like the[/align][align=center]Corvette SuperCharged ZR1, Viper, Gt's, etc.,being produced [/align][align=center]to go over 200 MPH + ?[/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Why do people buy these type auto's ? Where can they really use all that power safely ?[/align][align=center]At what cost to the innocent drivers on the road ?[/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]With World Wide fuel shortages, why are auto companies around the world,[/align][align=center]still building high performance auto's ? (Because `Space wants one : ) ?[/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Why are some member's putting thousands of dollars more into their Monte Carlo's[/align][align=center]to knock a second + `off their quarter mile time, and gain a few more MPH ?[/align][align=center](The need for Speed + To be Top Dog : )[/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Should high performance cars require a special license/training before they can [/align][align=center]drive/buy a vehicle that goes over 150 MPH ?[/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]The above questions came up in studyingthe Global Automotive Industry.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Please share your comments, opinions, thanks.[/align][align=center][sm=gears.gif][sm=feedback.gif][sm=gears.gif][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align]

Old 02-13-2008, 06:08 AM
Default RE: Should cars be made to go over 100+MPH ?

[align=center]Germany's open speed limits upheld
Filed under: Government/Legal
[/align][align=center]The days of unrestricted speeds on portions of Germany's autobahn may be numbered, but they will continue for at least the immediate future, thanks to their plucky Chancellor. The lucky souls who have a valid passport, a current license, a capable car and the will to challenge themselves will be able to do so without legal entanglements a bit longer.

German Chancellor Angela Merkel just added her support to legal measures that will help keep the country's autobahnen free of speed limits, Greenies be damned! OK, she didn't go that far, but Merkel's support was unflagging even against European Union criticism that Germany could do a lot more in the fight against harmful automotive emissions. The unrestricted autobahn has been seen as a poster child for what's wrong with the automotive world by some environmentalists.[X(]

Follow the jump for the rest of the story.

[Source: Inside Line]

EU environmental commissioner, Stavros Dimas, had sought German support over the weekend, but Merkel rebuffed him. Dimas wanted Germany to lead the charge toward a green future, after last week's publication of climate change findings by the UN cited Germany as a prime example of a country that "isn't doing enough to reduce emissions." While explaining that German policy already supports environmental movements, she reinforced the German automakers' claims that unrestricted speed testing is what assures the high level of engineering that makes them the best in the world at speed. "If we no longer had to engineer our cars to satisfy their potential top speed, there would suddenly be a fundamental change in the way we go about our business," a high-ranking BMW insider told Inside Line.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center]$ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $ $
Built them, we will buy them I want one NOW : ) I'm spoiled...[:'(]

[/align]

Old 02-13-2008, 06:15 AM

[align=center][:-][:@][:-]
[/align][align=center] [/align][align=center]
Rollover crashes have a higher fatality rate than all other kinds of crashes. More than 10,000 people die each year in rollover crashes.[X(]
Driver behavior, speeding, distraction, and inattentiveness play significant roles in rollover crashes.
By wearing your safety belt you can reduce your chance of being killed in a rollover by about 75 percent.
Motor vehicle crashes are the leading cause of death among American teenagers, killing between 5,000 and 6,000 teenagers every year for the past decade[X(] (through 2003, the last year for which complete NHTSA data is available).
From 1994 to 2003, a total of 57,142 teenagers were killed in motor vehicle crashes.
Teenage drivers account for only 6.4 percent (12.5 million) of the total drivers in the United States, but account for 14 percent of all drivers involved in fatal crashes and 18 percent involved in police-reported crashes.
If you are shopping for a car, you may want to consider the following features: [/align][ul][*][align=center]NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration) for impact and rollover ratings [/align][*][align=center]Air bags (driver, passenger, side) [/align][*][align=center]ABS (Antilock Brake System) [/align][/ul][align=center]
If you are a parent who is planning on giving a car to your child, keep some obvious issues in mind:
Avoid flashy, powerful, “eye-candy” vehicles. Teen drivers have trouble not testing the speed and power of these cars and trucks. In other words, keep the ego in check.
Avoid older vehicles. Older cars are typically less safe than cars equipped with newer, more advanced safety technologies made to satisfy higher safety standards.
Avoid smaller vehicles. Smaller cars can incur more damage from the same impact, resulting in a higher frequency of minor injury and serious injury, even at lower speeds.
1 mile = 5280 feet. At 60mph, 1 second = 88 feet traveled. Average reaction time = 1.5 seconds or 132 feet traveled. Safe stopping distance required at 60mph = 142 feet or roughly 48 yards (under good conditions). 132 feet of reaction time to brake + required 142 feet of stopping distance = 274 feet (nearly the length of a football field).
Possible spinal cord injury* should be assumed in the following cases: [/align][ul][*][align=center]Any car accident at a speed greater than 45mph [/align][*][align=center]Any pedestrian hit by a car at a speed greater than 18mph [/align][*][align=center]Any car accident where there is a car rollover or where a passenger has been thrown from the vehicle *(http://www.braininjury.com/ ) [/align][/ul][align=center]
[b]Most Americans will be involved in a motor vehicle accident in their lifetime, and one quarter of the population will be involved in accidents that result in [X(][color=

Old 02-13-2008, 06:57 AM

Laws and Repercussions
[align=center][:-][/align][align=center]Speeding Law
General speeds for different types of roads[/align][align=center][:-]
Reckless Driving Penalty
The penalty for reckless driving[/align][align=center][:-]
Speed Laws
What some state penalties are about speeding [/align]

Old 02-13-2008, 09:00 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member

[align=left]Why do auto companies make vehicles to go over the speed limits ?[/align][align=left][/align][align=left]Because if they didn't people wouldn't buy them.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=left]If the national average speed limit is 70 MPH, why are cars like the[/align][align=left]Corvette SuperCharged ZR1, Viper, Gt's, etc.,being produced [/align][align=left]to go over 200 MPH + ?[/align][align=left][/align][align=left]Same reason. People wouldn't buy them.[/align][align=left][/align][align=left]Why do people buy these type autos ?[/align][align=left][/align][align=left]For bragging rights, and to show off.[/align][align=left][/align][align=left]Where can they really use all that power safely ?[/align][align=left][/align][align=left]On a track, or private property.[/align][align=left][/align][align=left]At what cost to the innocent drivers on the road ?[/align][align=left][/align][align=left]It's unfortunate that some people do feel the need to put everyone else's lives at risk, for the sake of a thrill.[/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=left]With World Wide fuel shortages, why are auto companies around the world,[/align][align=left]still building high performance auto's ? (Because `Space wants one : ) ?[/align][align=left][/align][align=left]Once again, so people with lots of money will give lots of money to the auto company. Greed and the environment don't mix.[/align][align=center][/align][align=left]Why are some member's putting thousands of dollars more into their Monte Carlo's[/align][align=left]to knock a second + `off their quarter mile time, and gain a few more MPH ?[/align][align=left](The need for Speed + To be Top Dog : )[/align][align=left][/align][align=left]I don't know, everyone knows I got the best Monte here. lol j/k[/align][align=left]You pretty much answered that one yourse

Old 02-13-2008, 09:26 AM

Moderator `Taz,
Thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts/answers.
A police officer in my class said that violators of high
speed should have a limiter placed on their cars, and
be fined $100 a mile for every mile they
went over the posted speed limit.
He's only been in one high speed chase, and he said
even though he loves speed, he was scared for all others
that were on the road..He did wreck his cruiser when
he spun the offender `out : )
I still love driving fast, but the older I get, the more I
think about the risk to others, and to myself.
I've learned the expensive way, andto keep my racing
for the track...My points don't go `off my license until I'm, 21 : (,
then my insurance, won't be `high risk & high $$$'s : (
Hard lesson learned
`Space

Old 02-13-2008, 11:57 AM

[align=center]
Drive over 100 mph (without getting busted)[/align][align=center]
Country club for drivers may be coming to metropolitan area near you $$

APorsche races on the Autobahn Country Club’s South [/align]
[/align][/align][align=center][/align][align=center]Clubs in operation
[:-]
Autobahn Country Club
Joliet, Ill.
Annual Fee: $3,000
autobahnmb@comcast.net
Miller Motorsports Park
Tooele, Utah
Annual Fee: $1,600 to $3,500, depending on level of membership.
bmiller@millermotorportspark.com
Motorsport Ranch
Cresson, Texas
Annual Fee: $1,158
info@motorsportranch.com
VIRginia International Raceway Motorsport Country Club
Alton, Va.
Annual Fee: $2,100 for Virginia/North Carolina residents; $1,200 all other state residents.
Contact: 434-822-7700[/align][align=center]$$$$ "2 dare, 2 `dream" `Spaced`Out[/align][align=center]Click on below link for complete article[/align][align=center][:-][/align][align=center]http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14229694/[/align]

Old 02-13-2008, 12:12 PM

I've gotta say they should be "made" to only hit 70. Realistically is there any reason that you NEED to go faster than this?

I'm sure people would be a bit more responsible about leaving to work early among other things just so they don't say "Meh, I'll go just a bit faster to catch up." That's what starts the wrecks and gives birth to road rage.

I would like to have the option though to go faster - Oh wait that's what my mods are for.

Old 02-13-2008, 01:03 PM

Im in the middle but I think the best option would be to have cars setup like the new skyline they will be they can haul *** a 150+ but they have to be enabled via dealer, etc. todo so. but once your "power lease" for a track day for example is up, your car switches back on the governor and your back to a grocery getter.

and as for the 70 limit thing, Bah to that hell they interstate here is 75 limit 80-85 actual speed all day and night. and 90% of cars are alreadylimited by a governor set well below the vehicles maximum safe operating limit

Eventually all the breaking and maneuvering will be computer assisted and if anything the speed limits will rise due to the perceived safety these have. The simple fact is the world is just more and more impatient, you will never see a speed limitdecrease nation/worldwide safety is far less important than inconvenience.

Cell phones and dumb B*tchs trying to text while driving are what’s going to kill an innocent more than anything.

Old 02-13-2008, 02:20 PM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

You already have people getting busted for going over 100 mph out there on the roads and interstates. My father was reciting a story he read in the newspaper and the Ohio State Patrol busting drivers for going OVER 100 mph on interstates in this state. If people in this state are doing it, you know people in the other lower 47 are as well. And I'll be Canada sees this as well.

Better education is the answer. People need to accept responsiblity for their actions instead of whinning like they do.

We've talked about this before and I've mentioned I drive the speed limit. Other drivers have become irritated at me for doing so. Some try to hit me. Others have wanted to fight. This is no joke. I've had other drivers, strangers want to fight me cause I was driving 55 mph and they wanted to go faster. They've pulled up along side of my car and make threatening gesters at me. To me that equals being real adult.

Quick Reply: Should cars be made to go over 100+MPH ?