Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

seriously considering parting out the 4th gen

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 08:38 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default seriously considering parting out the 4th gen

So I have hit a hard point that will take a ton of thinking, we plan on moving come time our lease is up(march I think)

I have come to the realization I have to make a decision, I have a few option

My car curranltly sits at my parents house, as of late I can't even get to it, they have stacked thier old hutch, old cabinets, and who knows what else next to it( they do have every right to) but every time I would clean the garage it would become a mess within days,

financially IDK if I can continue having a project car, yes the car is paid for, but I can't buy anything for it becuase I cannot afford to, thus making no progress on it

At this point I am seriously considering parting out my car,

At this point I just don't know what to do, I don't have the time to work on it( make it so I can even get to it) I don't have the money to continue buying parts for it, I'm considering going to school to get a higher education so I can better myself and get into a career I love, I think it may be time to part ways with her and let it live on in some else's hands, parting it out I feel with bring me the most financial gain as people probably don't want to but a project car that is in a million pieces....

Sorry end rant just having one of those days and need to get it out,

Old 07-17-2012, 08:46 PM

Monte Of The Month -- May 2013
1 Year Member

Hey Whoa slow down there Tonto. What are you talking about ? Seling what car. SEE you got me so excitied I'm misspelling words here. Your Not Talking about the MONTE R U ?????????????? WTF

Old 07-17-2012, 08:53 PM
10 Year Member

My 85 Monte yes, any way that I go I will be keeping the 350 and building it over time to drop into whatever I decide to buy down the road, posibly another old Monte, if I can get some schooling done and save I could buy somthing driviable and put my motor in it

Old 07-17-2012, 09:16 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member

No way.............. man, that's what you started here with, you can't.........

Old 07-17-2012, 09:37 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by monte carlo 3831
No way.............. man, that's what you started here with, you can't.........
yeah way... Unfortunatly I think it may be the best thing at this point,

We plan to move more north burbs come march unless we can find somthing that has a 2 car or bigger garage for the same or less than what we pay now it may be going... Becuase I live maybe 10 mins from my parents now and can't get any work done, if we found somwhere with a big enought garage to have it there and be able to park a car in, it would move with us and then somthing may get done becuase then it would be at home I could work on it whenever,

Old 07-18-2012, 07:53 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Justin.

4th Gens aren't going to go anywhere. You will ALWAYS be able to buy one.

You currently have a rockin' 6th Gen. Your Monte love isn't going to die. I say you do what you have to do, sell the 4th Gen / Part it out. Keep what you actually can, and then in a few years get back to your project with another 4th Gen.

It might actually be better since the new one may not have been wrecked.

You don't have an amazingly rare car, so you will be able to "get it back" down the road.

Old 07-18-2012, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
Justin.

4th Gens aren't going to go anywhere. You will ALWAYS be able to buy one.

You currently have a rockin' 6th Gen. Your Monte love isn't going to die. I say you do what you have to do, sell the 4th Gen / Part it out. Keep what you actually can, and then in a few years get back to your project with another 4th Gen.

It might actually be better since the new one may not have been wrecked.

You don't have an amazingly rare car, so you will be able to "get it back" down the road.
I agree with what Chibi said. My grandparents always told me not to sell my 86 Iroc Z Camaro. In the end I came to the conclusion that I was only getting $4,500 for it through straight trade, and that for the things wrong with it I'd better get out now. I looked through many car websites and figured if I ever want another one in the same shape I could find one for about the same price.

Old 07-21-2012, 02:05 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2009

if it was me, i'd try to hold onto it. my buick project has been in limbo for quite some time now too, but i know if i sold it i'd regret it. 4th gen monte's are still easy to find (for now!) but that car is yours, and you've managed to hold onto it through thick and thin. at least it's in a safe place as of right now, even if you don't have time for it at the moment. hell, my dad's managed to hold onto his '56 chevy for over 30 years, and even though it's been apart for over 25 years i doubt he'd ever want to sell it.

Old 07-21-2012, 05:01 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013

This is the reason I haven't bought a project car yet. As of now I have a place to work on one and most of the skill and knowledge but the money is the road block. Its a hard decision but only you can make it. I guess it depends on what you have done so far. Good Luck