Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Member's BLOG: Saturday January 21st 2012

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 10:55 PM

Oh btw I made an awesome discovery tonight. For those of you with Android devices that don't use Google Music, check it out. Basically, it syncs with your music on your PC and you can access it from any computer or Android device. Been using it with my Tablet ever since I got it. So anyway tonight I discovered that not only does it sync my music that I have on iTunes (which I already knew cause I've been doing that for quite a while) but it also includes the iTunes playlists you have set up. Totally awesome. When my iPod finally dies I doubt I will replace it now. Between my tablet and the HTC Rezound that I'll be picking up in a couple months, I'll be set as far as music, and the only memory that it uses up is just whatever the app uses. You don't have to save any music on your phone anymore.

Old 01-21-2012, 11:05 PM

Space here is my explanation for not liking ABS and for that matter a lot of the new gadgets in cars.

I would have to say that when it comes to driving I would be a member of the old farts club. I acquired my license on July 1st in 1980. I took my drivers test in a 1976 Ford Gran Torino four door sedan. I learned to drive in the state of Vermont. In Vermont the winter weather can start in October and last into May. With bad weather lasting that long to drive there one must be well skilled behind the wheel. When I learned to drive there were really only two front wheel drive cars, the Cadillac Eldorado and the Oldsmobile Toronado. Both of those cars were gas hogs and rich mans cars unless really old. There were a few older Hondas and Subarus around but they were rusted out oil burning pieces of crap. I really don't understand how Honda got to be where they are today because the cars they built for the first ten to fifteen years imported here were really garbage. The other front wheel drive cars were to new for a teen to acquire. I learned that when driving on ice that you don't make sudden moves. No abrupt moves with the gas, brakes, or steering. In snow the same is true as well as on sand, gravel, and wet roads. I learned to that for best stopping power to pump the brakes. Basically the same as what ABS does. The problem with ABS for a driver like me that pumps the brakes is that it confuses the computer and the braking is erratic and can be dangerous. I have the skill to operate my car and don't want any artificial intelligence trying to help me. In my car ideally I want power steering, power brakes, and four wheel disc brakes. I don't want ABS, air bags, or even front wheel drive even in the snow. One of the tools to effective driving in inclement weather is the ability to steer, to brake, and the ability to apply power. If everything is on the front of the car as it is in a front wheel drive car, and you loose traction at the front wheels there is nothing you can do. You are along for the ride. With a rear drive car you can steer the front of the car with the steering wheel or the gas pedal. It is unlikely you will loose both the front and rear of the car unless you panic and lock up the brakes. I think many of the older drivers will tell you much the same. The only advantage to front wheel drive on slick roads is when starting from a stop or on an incline and that is because all the weight is on top of the drive wheels.

Old 01-21-2012, 11:09 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Hey all I'm just sitting here in the dining room getting acclimated to a new location of the house other than my bedroom and posting on my moms laptop. Also watching some TV...

Old 01-21-2012, 11:11 PM

Gregg, that is exactly what I try to explain to people who don't understand why I would drive a Camaro in the snow (I've driven every generation in the snow except for the 1st gens and the new ones). It really is driver skill. Not only that, but knowing your car. If you know exactly how your car will react when it loses traction, you will be able to react and correct it without even thinking about it. I drive better with my RWD vehicles than most do with 4x4. Only time I would EVER need 4x4 is to get to certain fishing holes. I'll probably get a little S-10 for that purpose since I haven't been able to make my good fishing holes lately cause mother nature gets it all crappy to get to. Other than that, my Burb will be the one seeing snow and I'll take my Camaro in it before I take a FWD.

Old 01-21-2012, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by SupplySgt
Hey Gregg how's it going?
Drew things are going well. I had a good time at the two car shows I went to today. I didn't see any Montes at either show though. The show and swap meet was sponsored by the MOB or Mopars Of Brevard. The swap meet was all Mopar but the car show was open to any and all. I saw a lot of nice Mopars including six Plymouth Superbirds sitting side by side. It was cool to see that many birds nesting. Lol. The were a dozen or so Mustangs, one fox body but the rest were classics. Quite a few first and second gen Camaros and there were a few various 65-72 mid GM cars. While at Old Town we saw probably three hundred cars and trucks. All of them older than 1975 and most of them were really nice show cars. If you ever get down this way it is a site you have to see.

Old 01-21-2012, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by KJRich
Ha, I just noticed I went from "Z34" to "Supercharged Member" when I hit 1500 posts. I thought it would change at 2000.
Watch out Kerry, I'm right behind you and closing fast. Lol

Old 01-21-2012, 11:22 PM

Nothing worse than that feeling when you've lost control of the car. I hit the bridge and crumpled the passenger side front fender on my 2001 Tracker back in the winter of 2009-2010. Glad you're ok though.

Old 01-21-2012, 11:23 PM

Nice. There's always 1st gen Camaros everywhere you go, but around here I have one of the few 2nd gens that ever shows up at the local shows. Usually I'm the only one sadly. With our proximity to Bowling Green, KY, there are also a fair amount of Vettes as well, and that number goes up drastically the Friday before any big Corvette-related event at the Corvette Museum (Bowling Green is only 90 miles away). I'd like to get a Vette sometime just for fun. probably end up with a late C4 or early C5 if I get one. Relatively affordable to get my hands one and I'm familiar with the LT1 and LS1 motors.

I'm closing in on 1,000 posts. Since I'll be on here (and not at work) all night I reckon I may get close before I go to work tomorrow night.

Old 01-21-2012, 11:25 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

I miss my C5 vette kinda crude but a fun car

Old 01-21-2012, 11:26 PM

I see some 2nd gen Camaros at shows around here, but not many early ones like yours. I like those best.

Quick Reply: Member's BLOG: Saturday January 21st 2012