Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Member's BLOG: Saturday, 5/28/2016 >Check In<

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2016, 03:22 AM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Thumbs up Saturday, 5/28/2016 >Check In<

Name:  MCFJJbanner2.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  38.0 KB

Member's Blog
Saturday, May 28, 2016

to the
Monte Carlo Family

The Monte Carlo Forum is a stress-free/fun automotive family zone

Please don't hurt with your posted words!
Your words paint the picture of you.
Show respect ~ Get Respect

If you have NOT read our Monte Carlo Forum rules, please click the link below and
enjoy your Monte Carlo Forum experience.

Winner
Name:  trophy-1.gif
Views: 14
Size:  2.3 KB
Congratulations
Member: Mels SS
Mel Layrisson
New Orleans, La

2006 Monte Carlo SS

What are you doing today ?
Post what is happening in your life, family, hobbies, cars, etc...
We are online 24/7

Make a post and let us know that you checked in TODAY

* Please welcome our new member's to our forum & `Blog.

Monte of the Month Rules and Requirements

Any member can start the MCF `Blog after midnight (12 AM EST).
Just copy & change the date
(Check with Staff for any other changes to our Blog)
Thank You!

Todays Blog started by
BeachBum`Mike

Attached Images
File Type: gif
trophy-1.gif (2.3 KB, 7 views)
Old 05-28-2016, 03:31 AM
Thumbs up >2`be free 2 `be<>Thank You<

Everyone
EnJoy your Holiday Weekend
Be Safe out there

What are you doing this weekend ?

Last edited by BeachBumMike; 05-28-2016 at 03:46 AM. Reason: Reason 4 Living (Yes>4-Sure)
Old 05-28-2016, 04:29 AM
Arrow * Memorial Day 2016*

Memorial Day 2016

Memorial Day was originally called Decoration Day and was initiated to honor the soldiers for the Union and Confederate armies who died during the American Civil War.

Celebrations honoring Civil War heroes started the year after the war ended. The establishment of a public holiday was meant to unify the celebration as a national day of remembrance instead of a holiday celebrated separately by the Union and Confederate states. By the late 19th century, the holiday became known as Memorial Day and was expanded to include the deceased veterans of all the wars fought by American forces. In 1971, Memorial Day became a federal holiday.
The original national celebration of Decoration Day took place on 30 May 1868. When Memorial Day became a federal holiday, it was given the floating date of the last Monday in May. Since many companies close for the holiday, Memorial Day weekend is three days long for most people. It is the unofficial beginning of the summer vacation season that lasts until the first Monday in September, which is Labor Day.
Traditions

Some of the most common Memorial Day traditions that are still practiced in the United States today include:
  • Every Memorial Day, the U.S. flag is quickly raised to the tops of flagpoles, slowly lowered to half-mast, and then raised again to full height at noon. The time at half-mast is meant to honor the million-plus fallen U.S. soldiers who have died for their country over the years. Re-raising the flag is meant to symbolize the resolve of the living to carry on the fight for freedom so that the nation’s heroes will not have died in vain.
  • It is very common to visit cemeteries, particularly military cemeteries, at this time of year to decorate the graves. Small American flags, flowers, and wreathes are commonly placed by the tombstones.
  • On the U.S. Capitol Building’s West Lawn, a Memorial Day concert is held annually. The musical performances are broadcast live around the country on PBS t.v. and NPR radio. Attendance is free, but most watch or listen from at home.
  • There are literally thousands of Memorial Day parades all across the country in cities small and large. Typically, you will see marching bands, National Guardsmen, other Armed Forces members, and military vehicles from past U.S. wars.
  • Many will wear or put on display red poppies on this day as a symbol of fallen soldiers. This tradition grew out of the famous poem by Canadian John McCrae known as In Flander’s Fields, which he was inspired to write upon seeing red poppies growing over the graves of World War I soldiers. You may well hear this poem’s opening lines quoted on Memorial Day:

“In Flanders fields the poppies blow
    Between the crosses, row on row”
Events

Many families go on vacation on Memorial Day weekend, and many others who are off work or out of school stay home and enjoy family picnics and get-togethers. Most people open their swimming pools for the first time of the year as Memorial Day also ushers in those lazy, hazy, crazy days of summer. If you do get out for the holiday, five events you may wish to attend are listed below. However, you can also view many of these events on the television if you remain at home.
  • Numerous Memorial Day events are held at Arlington National Cemetery every year. If you visit, you can see a quarter-million miniature flags decorating the graves in the cemetery, witness the changing of the guard ceremony at the Tomb of the Unknowns, attend the official Memorial Day service in the amphitheater, and much more.
  • You may wish to visit Washington D.C.’s National Mall, which is a two-mile stretch of land along the Potomac River that lies between the Washington Monument and the U.S. Capital Building. In it, you will find the Lincoln Memorial, the Franklin Delano Roosevelt Memorial, the National World War II Memorial, the Vietnam Veterans Memorial, the Korean War Veterans Memorial, the National Museum of American History, and numerous other important places of historic interest.
  • The
    in the nation still takes place annually in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, and tens of thousands attend. Nearby, you can also visit the Gettysburg Soldiers National Monument and Cemetery, and tour the battlefield.
  • The National Memorial Day Parade on Constitution Avenue has been the nation’s largest since 2005, with over a quarter-million typically attending. There are whole military units that march by as well as floats and bands, and it is an unforgettable experience.
  • If you want some sports entertainment around Memorial Day, the Indianapolis 500 auto race has been held on the Sunday just before Memorial Day since 1911. The NASCAR Coca-Cola 600 and the Memorial Tournament golfing event are also held at this time of year.
There is much patriotic significance attached to Memorial Day, and there are many events, both public and private, going on. If you travel for the weekend, be sure to plan ahead, book early, and drive safely since roads and airports will be very busy at this time of year.

Old 05-28-2016, 06:46 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2015
Monte Of The Month -- February 2011
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Morning all and Happy Saturday. I keep my flag at half staff from dawn to dusk on Memorial day to honor our soldiers.Thats what we always did at the federal building. Going to help a friend today to get his moms house in order for Memorial day our church is having a cookout on Memorial day there. Have a safe weekend guys.

Old 05-28-2016, 07:03 AM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2016
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Sounds nice Mel!

I wound up working today. Waiting for a servo motor for one of our robots to arrive. As soon as it gets delivered and the mechanics get it installed I can initialize the system, make some checks and hopefully start my weekend!

Old 05-28-2016, 07:57 AM

Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- June 2014
Monte Of The Month -- July 2016
10 Year Member

Good morning everyone!

Old 05-28-2016, 08:02 AM
Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2015
10 Year Member

Good morning guys!

I took the day off yesterday for some inspections I had scheduled at the house - good news is I have fully passed the mechanical/plumbing and building inspections and only have one item pending for electrical. We've come a long way in three months and it feels great! Should be wrapping up the majority of renovations today and will only have some painting to wrap up after today. Moving in starting tomorrow!

Old 05-28-2016, 10:53 AM
Thumbs up Thanks 4 checking in

Originally Posted by Mels SS
. Going to help a friend today .
\
Hi `Mel, it's always good to help a friend

Originally Posted by GTHSS
hopefully start my weekend!

Hi Tommy, I also hope that you can start your weekend & EnJoy

Originally Posted by MnteCrloSS47
Good morning everyone!

Hi `Devin, thanks for checking in ....Wish you a safe/fun weekend

Originally Posted by 06mistreSS
I took the day off yesterday for some inspections I had scheduled at the house - good news is I have fully passed the mechanical/plumbing and building inspections and only have one item pending for electrical. We've come a long way in three months and it feels great! Should be wrapping up the majority of renovations today and will only have some painting to wrap up after today. Moving in starting tomorrow!

Hi `Matt, good luck on your move > Pictures Please

---------------------------------------------------------------------
I had to make a run to Miami last eve & returned early this morning.
The interstate was packed & it was like a Race Track. It was intense.

Be Safe out there on your highways of `life....>>>EnJoy<<<

Last edited by BeachBumMike; 05-28-2016 at 10:55 AM.
Old 05-28-2016, 01:41 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2014
10 Year Member

Good afternoon to all, just getting things ready for the beach tomorrow, I'll be heading down Delaware. I got my brake bleeding kit and my car mascot came in today I'm happy

Old 05-28-2016, 02:04 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Afternoon all, its in the 90s here today and after sweating my **** off working this week, i think i'll just stay inside today lol.