Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Rice or Cool? 5 panel wink mirror

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 03:57 PM

iv never seen one in a newer car. only in old 70's model trucks.

Old 08-21-2012, 07:02 PM

Those were popular in the 80's when I lived in Ca. They do give you a good view of back and sides. Also a lot of headlights in your eyes and night...

Old 08-21-2012, 07:16 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Duane, it looks like you already installed it in the Torino. So let me ask you, what do you think it looks like?

To me, I wouldn't like it. Takes up a lot of room and obscures a good chunk of the windshield. On top of that, since it's 5 smaller mirrors put side by side, the breaks between mirrors would really annoy me.

As long as I can see the entire back window in a stock-style (single) mirror, I'm happy. I don't need to be able to see the rear pillars, and the top of my own head. The side view mirrors on the outside of the car do a decent job of helping to eliminate blind spots when they're adjusted right.

Those super wide mirrors came out many decades ago. Seems to me, if they were really any good they would be installed in every car at the factory by now.

I wouldn't call it rice. I would say it looks awkward or gimmicky. And in your Torino, I think it hurts the look of the car. You spent tons of time and money restoring your Torino to original condition. If it was me, I wouldn't ruin the look of it with that Wink mirror. I'd go back to a stock-looking mirror.

Old 08-21-2012, 07:37 PM
Zen
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I always hated those thing.They seem to mess with my eyes when trying to look at them

Old 08-21-2012, 07:48 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

The thing about side view mirrors is the Torino didn't come with any on the passenger side. The ones they have aren't really big enough. Plus, if it did have one on that passenger side, it wouldn't have been convex to do the job of seeing much more than just the side of the car or about a third of the lane beside you, depending on adjustment.

The breaks in the mirrors strangly doesn't really show up if you sit behind the wheel. It's hard to get a photograph that portrays the mirror correctly. From outside the car, it's definitely noticable that there is a different mirror up there, but unless you know to look for it, a lot of people won't think to look for it.

It's all about personal preference. when running at night with this car in the stock mirrors, it's really hard to see cars around you. It's hard at day, even harder at night. In my experience, you can usually find lights at night better than car,s but not in this thing. I haven't run with it at night.

I had a clip on convex rear view I ran for a while, but it distorted images so badly I took it down and decided to give this a run.

That said, my dad agrees with how it gives you too much information and messes with your eyes. It takes a bit of looking around to adjust to it.

It's really the only mod I have to the car that makes it "unoriginal." The way it is in there, if I was going for original, I could take it down in about 10 minutes and put up the stock mirror. It's not at all permanent. I've got some other mods, which are ignition related with the electrnic, but the system I run looks original in the car iwthout all the boxes. I also have LED lights to light up the floor and a radio amde by custom auto sounds. I have an LED third brake light in the back window, but it isn't too noticable.

And at a car show, the hood is up.... makes it tougher to spot from teh front of the car

I could swap that mirror back out in 10 minutes now that I have the brackets. I'm liking it so far though I'm going to Bristol tomorrow, so we'll see how it goes then.

Last edited by Cowboy6622; 08-21-2012 at 07:51 PM.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:11 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I think I would pass on it. It seems kinda big for a car. Maybe in a truck it would be ok.

Old 08-22-2012, 11:55 AM

Wow haven't seen these in yrs, use to have one on my 83 T-Bird. In High School all my Rican homeboys use to have these on their Toyota's !

Old 08-22-2012, 07:50 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Like many other people here have said, I've seen them in cars before. But it was when I was a kid in the late 70's and early 80's. I haven't seen one of those in a car since the mid 80's.

I kind of figured on Duane's problem with the Torino. Like most cars of that era, it only came with a driver side mirror. No passenger side mirror. And the mirrors were more form than function. The mirror is really too small to be all that effective. Which really puts people like Duane in a bind.

If he changes the sideveiw mirror to something bigger, and adds a passenger side mirror, that takes away from the original (factory) look of the car. But there's gotta be a better alternative than the wink mirror. I just wish I knew what it is.

Old 08-23-2012, 03:06 AM

I have one in my 05 Grand Prix, which I may end up transfering to my Monte. To give you an idea of the visible angle, I can see out both of my rear door windows with it. I don't have a problem with determining distance. They can and will warp in the sun, so windshield mounts (not included) are reccomended over the visor mounts.

Old 08-23-2012, 05:32 PM

Its for sure different. I dont hate it but I'm not a huge fan either but if it serves a good purpose thats all that matters.

Quick Reply: Rice or Cool? 5 panel wink mirror