Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

A Retired Pair of American West Cowboy Boots... Six Years of Service!

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 11:28 AM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default A Retired Pair of American West Cowboy Boots... Six Years of Service!

These are the Cowboy boots by American West that were given to me for Christmas 2004. They were worn on a semi-daily basis with a pair of brown boots for 4 years. Following this in Christmas of '08, I was given a new pair of black boots. This pair was relegated to my work boots, spending time in the yard, and eventually, I restored my 1968 Ford Torino (for which as soon as I get a black C-stripe on it, I will post a final update), wearing these boots. They have been with me across country in an 18 wheeler with my dad, on vacations to Florida, Niagara Falls, and Washington, DC with school. I estimate that they have been to 15 states, 2 countries, and have restored one car while working on several.

This is a comparison of the boots with a similar pair that are only a year and a half old.

The old boots. Notice that the right boot (to the left in this picture) is leaning. This is caused by the heel wearing off sideways, as seen in a later photo.

These are the sides of the right boot. The leather is splitting from the sides, but surprisingly, it is still water tight.

This is the left boot. A hole has worn through the sole and the boot to reveal a hole in the bottom of these boots.

This is the right heel. After the rubber was worn down on this boot, it was decided that it was not worth $15.95 to have a new heel put on. This is the result. The things have worn to the point now where they are difficult to walk in. To the left is the newer right boot for comparison

This is another shot of the splitting right side, but you can see the tips and the color worn off the tops now.

In this photo, you can see where the shoes have been half soled, and the worn off rubber.

The inside sole is coming apart on the right boot.... revealing the nails that hold the heel on the bottom.

I now proclaim these boots retired... thanks for reading!

Old 06-21-2010, 11:52 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Here I thought you were going to sell these boots!!! Telling of all their great history :P

Old 06-21-2010, 01:20 PM

Duane "Your boots were made 4 Walk'in"
They must be made like a Monte Carlo and will take you many places on your `journey of Life

Like you new T-Shirt 2 : )

Old 06-21-2010, 01:23 PM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2009
I'M NOT OLD, I'M JUST WELL MARINATED.
5 Year Member

They look like they have been rode hard and put away wet. LOL

Old 06-21-2010, 06:27 PM

5 Year Member

I'll sell them if you want them, Mike! I should have been taking pictures at teh state lines and everyplace I go, and get several pictures of me restoring the Torino with the boots viewable, adn then I could probably make some money off of them when the economy gets better. People will buy stuff like that for some reason.

Space, my mom said the same thing.... My cat used to get into those boots like that when she was a kitten too.... never could catch a picture, just have my word that it happened!

And King Popcorn, I quit polishing them about 2 years ago.... they looked "fair" at the time, the color was starting to discolor on the sides at the time, but it was far from splitting apart like they are now. After they started working in the yard, it took about 2 years to get them to looking like that. You'd think tehy would hold up longer. You can't trust a $100 pair of boots anymore.

Last edited by Cowboy6622; 06-21-2010 at 06:30 PM.
Old 06-21-2010, 06:37 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

throw them up on e-bay and say someone like John Wayne wore them in one of his movies....

Old 06-21-2010, 06:43 PM

5 Year Member

Or you could say Chuck Norris. you KNOW they are going to sell then. LOL

Old 06-21-2010, 09:39 PM

5 Year Member

With all the damage to that right boot, you could argue that it has performed a few roundhouse kicks, couldn't you? I wouldn't have a problem until a certificate of authenticity was demanded

Old 06-21-2010, 11:53 PM

5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Cowboy6622
With all the damage to that right boot, you could argue that it has performed a few roundhouse kicks, couldn't you? I wouldn't have a problem until a certificate of authenticity was demanded
Thats easy. Next time you cut yourself shaving, just let a few drops of blood hit the boot and say "Here it is, Thats where he kicked a guy and made him explode.".

Old 06-22-2010, 03:58 PM

i would not like to walk a mile in your shoes.

Quick Reply: A Retired Pair of American West Cowboy Boots... Six Years of Service!