Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Reliability of Brand "F"

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 05:53 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

You gotta blow smoke in a diesel i nvr hit high rpms in mine but i put alot of boost to it & it kept going

Old 11-25-2011, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by 03JGMonte
You gotta blow smoke in a diesel i nvr hit high rpms in mine but i put alot of boost to it & it kept going
Yea but when the cloud you leave is so thick an officer could write you a ticket for it if the mood struck him.....

There's certain extents to everything and he just plain abuses everything he owns

Old 11-25-2011, 08:24 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

Yeah that would be a bit much

Old 11-25-2011, 10:12 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Never done much with a large diesel... need a little bit smaller size truck myself.

So I went back to see the truck this morning. Something about the truck said "Go away and don't come back" They were asking $1000... good price, but according to my calculations, its worth $685 to the scrap yard. It's worth about $700 to me. I know she's down on her luck, I offered $750 and I thouht I was being very generous. She said $850 was the absolute lowest. Well the thing it is, it had that 351 Modified.

So there has been an accidnet inovlving this truck... no big deal, I can handle some body work. Just needs a grill, I can live with the bumper, plus a fender and a door. No problem, I know a guy I can get them from easy, for probably $200 plus installation and paint which I'll handle myself.

Butt.... I don't think ti's meant to be. The engine seemed to have a timing issue. However, the miss got stronger as the engine got hotter. That usually indicates a cylinder not holding compression. That marks the 4th 351M engine taht I've seen in one of those trucks that was not right somehow or another. I've got to learn to just quit looking at those damn things.....

First thing off I noticed driving it was the brakes. She claimed she had just installed them "last week" and they "needed bleed." Dude, I ran Charlotte Motor Speedway today and that truck intimidated me way more than the track did. It wasn't right. And she says it was as simple as bleeding brakes.... well, I alwyas say... if it's that simple, why diddn't you do it before I came to look at the truck?

And the steering wasn't right. I figured it out, but you could bump the wheel to the left, then start turning to the right, and even though you can feel it turning, it still wanted to go left.

Then it drove great and felt good going (as far ease of steering), but when you slowed down, it felt like you were trying to pull the control arms with your bear hands. WORK OUT!!! The Torino isn't htat hard to steer sitting still!!! Probably a power steering pump.

It just rubbed me the wrong way. When I went to look at my Monte Carlo, I just immediately had the feeling that something was right about it and I got it. The Torino felt right... we just hit it off from the first time I saw her. Cars are like women. You just know from those first few lines whether this is going anywhere or not. Well, this truck said "Keep walking."

And just think, I just said all of that in a thread about how reliable Ferds are!!!

Old 11-26-2011, 07:44 AM

And just think, I just said all of that in a thread about how reliable Ferds are!!!

Hi `Duane, I think any vehicle that is abused is not going to be reliable 4-Sure...

Sorry to read that it did not work out & it wasn't meant to `be. Keep up your search & I'm sure you will find the one that is right for you.~>GOOD LUCK