Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Really hard life decisions...

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 10:07 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2010
Unhappy Really hard life decisions...

Which way to go…

So guys this is probably going to be a really long and crazy post but I am in a HUGE crazy decision-making frenzy. There’s so many things being thrown at me at the same time and I don’t know what to do so I need some help from my second family. Y’all have helped me before so I think you guys may be able to help again so here it goes. And I want your honest opinion and what you would do in my situation.

Okay so here it goes…

I’ve been thinking a lot lately and idk if I’ve told anyone on the forum yet because I haven’t even told really anyone except a few people. But anyway, for a couple months now, I’ve really been seriously considering on joining the Navy. Well about a month ago I found out they have an officer program for college students. Pretty much this is how it goes—I have to fill out application and take a couple tests and actually get accepted into the program, I get to finish out college and get my bachelor’s degree, then I have to go to Rhode Island for 12 weeks right after graduation for officer training, then I have to commit 4 years of service and then after that I can either resign or quit. So pretty much I’m 8 credit hours away from being a junior in college, so I should be out of college in about 2 to 2 ½ years which means I’ll be out when I’m around 21, then I’d go to training and work, and then by the time I’m 25 or 26 I’ll be deciding on whether I want to resign or not. I’ve been thinking about this so much that it’s pretty much taking over my life in a way I guess you could say. Here’s a quick layout of the pros and cons.

Pros:
  • Get paid between $2500-$3200 every month while I’m in college to help pay for expenses
  • Hella great benefits like life insurance—I need a couple surgeries done eventually so that could come in handy
  • Guaranteed job in a rough economy—and my dream of becoming a marine biologists could still come true
  • Get to serve the country I love
  • Pay for vet school or grad school if I decide to go back in order to get master’s in biology, business, or become a DVM
Cons
  • Leave for 12 weeks right after college—which means the Monte and all of rest of my stuff would be sitting for 12 weeks back in Missouri
  • This could be good or bad depending on how you look at it I guess—4 years committed to service, which means life has to be put on hold for a few years, like marriage and kids
  • Be away from family and friends more—especially if I get deployed overseas—makes my relation with my b/f blake (who is in the army) more complicated and hard
Questions???

• What happens if I get disable or something of that nature while I’m in college? Do I have to pay back all of the money? What happens in that kind of situation?
  • What happens if I get out of college and the oceanography department is booked? Can I get a reserved spot?
  • Could I still possibly complete my goal of opening my own aquarium, even though 4 years of my life will be committed to the Navy?
  • What happens to my race car, my snake Lightening, and the possibility of me getting a dog in the next couple months?
Obviously there is more then this but these were the first points that popped into my head right away.

Okay and here was another path I could take that has been presented to me. The possibility of me moving back to Missouri before I graduate college and just transfer to another school like either Saint Louis University or Truman State University. To sum it up, here are the pros and cons to that…

Pros
  • Continue racing career
  • Get to be around family and friends more often—don’t feel quite as alone
  • More familiar with the area
Cons
  • Too close to parents—like they would have the ability to come over pretty much whenever, instead of having 11+ hours in between us
  • Having to deal with the hassle of transferring colleges
  • Be back where I started =[
Questions
  • What if all of my credits don’t transfer?
  • What if it messes up my major programs?
  • Will my parents make me live with them?
  • Will I be unhappy living up there again?

A couple other things that are running through my mind are:
  • Creating a Midwest Monte Carlo Club
  • Should I forget about all of this and just continue my life down here with the goal of double majoring in biology and business management and continue towards the path of opening my own aquarium in Missouri someday?
So yeah anyway if you guys could help me out with like any opinion and what not that would be great. I’m like soo stressing out about this whole thing so I can’t really think straight. Thanks guys!

Old 12-13-2009, 10:21 PM

Brittany that is a lot to be thinking on. When you make a decision eventually you will know when it is right by the peace you feel. Trust your instincts.

The Navy could be a great opportunity. There are some questions there that you need to get answers too and get them in writing from the Navy recruiters. You need to decide what your end goal is for down the road and then see which route helps you get closer to that goal.

As for moving back that could be a bonus as you say. Being close to family is both good and bad. Which one is it more of for you? Also you are an adult now your parents can not make you do anything. As for transferring colleges it is easy and you can find out ahead of time if your credits will transfer.

The relationship is going to be difficult anyway with him in the Army. That she be a consideration, but do what is best for you.

Old 12-13-2009, 10:25 PM

Also

When making decisions like this I find it easiest to work my way backwards. What is my end goal? How will each of these decisions help me get there? Pros and cons of each decision (which you have started). Then go with what your instincts tell you. You will do great things in your life and make many hard decisions.

Old 12-13-2009, 10:34 PM

Thanks Todd. I'll most def think hard about what you said. It is just so hard that all of this is coming about at one time you know. Just all sorts of crazy!

Old 12-13-2009, 10:37 PM

It always seems to come at you like that. Know that the Navy is not going anywhere and you could always transfer later. Take this time to enjoy your down time before you start a new term.

Old 12-13-2009, 10:41 PM

ha i know right. it's frickin ridiculous and i can feel it starting to get to me,,,all the stress and all. And your right, I need to just relax for more then one day for once in my life lol probably would help a lot!

Old 12-13-2009, 10:52 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

TOUGH decisions, and none to be taken lightly NOR quickly!
1. I hope you believe in God. I hope you pray. Now pray for WISDOM! Not for quick decision type wisdom, but "show me the way, Lord" type wisdom.
2. From what I know about you from your past postings, you like animals, etc. You want to start an aquarium.
3. The Navy has a LOT to offer. My nephew joined the Air Force a year ago right after he graduated with a BA in computers. In a couple of years he's out and will have TONS of money in the GI bill for more education, and will probably go for a MS in electrical engineering and try for a career at Dow Chemical where his fiance is working, along with her parents.
4. Continue open discussions with the Navy about becoming a marine biologist, and getting all the education you can get.
5. TALK THIS OVER WITH YOUR PARENTS! BUT, this is YOUR life, and YOUR decisions. Unfortunately, as hard as this is to swallow, you are STILL really young, and have about ZERO in life experience to make decisions based on past experience.

So my suggestion is DO NOT make any hasty decisions. DO NOT change any plans for next semester, but finish out the year, at a minimum. All this thinking WILL distract you from your studies, and will affect your grades. It WILL happen. This decision needs to be made next summer, and not a DAY before! OR the FOLLOWING summer. Biology is where your heart is, and follow it. If the government can help, GREAT! Being a marine biologist in the Navy would be an AWESOME career. Maybe not just a job, but a career. After 20 years in, you'd be 40, and have PLENTY of time to do the aquarium dream, with a well established career and reputation to lean on. Maybe get a doctorates degree on the Navy's nickel?

Now go back to #1.

Old 12-13-2009, 11:06 PM

Damn right I believe in God…went to a Catholic school for 9 years and actually just went to mass this morning =D
Yup yup, that’s like my long-term goal is to go back to Saint Louis area and start an aquarium that I already have layouts and what not for.
Yeah that’s what I’ve heard, like the GI would be absolutely amazing if I decided to go to grad school or vet school. I actually just talked to the doc at the clinic I work at and he said that after 15 years he’s still paying off the vet school tuition and that if he could go back he would have gone into the military for help with the tuition and what not.
Oh yeah I most def will. I had pretty much given up on my second dream (marine biologist) because of the economy putting so many out there without a job. Gave up my first dream (nascar driver) years ago =[
Yeah I know, well my dad was a marine and he said there was def goods and bads about it and it’s a decision that I really really want to think about and all.

Thanks for the advice Wayne. And yeah I guess I do need to slow down a little bit. I love biology but I also love business, which is why I’m majoring in both =D people say it’s going to be hard to major in both but I think it will be worth it for sure. And yeah it would most def be an awesome career no doubt, especially if I got lucky enough to help with the trained aquatic animals at certain bases that help out the Navy that would be AMAZING! Yeah man, free education on the Navy’s nickel would be awesome

Old 12-14-2009, 06:40 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I disagree about the part about being hard to major in both Brittany. It might TAKE longer, more credits, but harder? Is it what you WANT??? Then it won't be HARDER, just a bit longer to get the credits. BIG difference in how you look at it. If it takes another semester, or another year, well, you're ahead of the game anyways with credits now, right? Do the math. I bet it'll STILL be only 4 years or less 4 U!
Now go back to #1. For WE know NOTHING, but God knows ALL. Trust in Him, and here's the HARDEST part....have FAITH. Have faith that God will guide you down the path that will not only fill His desires, but your own. Pray for the WISDOM to have the FAITH to follow his guidance.

Old 12-14-2009, 07:07 AM

Decision Making Techniques

How to Make Good Decisions

http://www.mindtools.com/pages/main/newMN_TED.htm

Hi Brittany,
Click above link & I hope it helps in some way.
Good Luck & Good Decisions
4-Sure

Quick Reply: Really hard life decisions...