Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Rant: Dog Shelters Rave: Found a dog

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 01:35 AM
STILL SLOW
Monte Of The Month -- May 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Rant: Dog Shelters Rave: Found a dog

Well I wanted to find my girlfriend a dog for Christmas. She is financially stable, lives in an apartment not to far away, so I can help take car of it too. She has been begging for a dog for about a year now so I figured this would be perfect. Well so far every animal I've ever had has been free, but I love animals so I figured I would adopt one for her.

I have never been treated so rudely by any business.

Of the 4 places I got ahold of, they all asked for adoption applications, understandable, they want a good home. But seriously it is crazy biased. I live on a farm, she is in an apartment, so it will live inside and have acres to run around on the weekend. The second they found out it was a gift, I was turned down. Not to mention the fencing was a huge issue. I LIVE ON A FARM! I don't need a fence.

So I called one place, her email was pretty nice. "We no longer adopt dogs as gifts and your girlfriend needs her parents permission." We both happen to be adults, thanks a lot.

Emailed another place, got a reply to send in an application, never got a reply.

The other places just weren't easy to work with either.

Gave up trying to adopt a dog, first person I called with a dog for sale was available 3 hours later so I went to pick up a pure bred Bassett Hound. Nice guy who was interested in cars too. The mother wasnt papered but the father was, so I got it for a great price. *there are 3 left by the way*

Makes you wonder why more animals aren't adopted, doesn't it. It makes me sick. The people trying to save the dogs are literally turning away people who can give them a loving home.

On the bright side, meet our new puppy, Bonanza.

Last edited by Enzo354; 12-11-2011 at 01:38 AM.
Old 12-11-2011, 01:51 AM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013

Cute dog. we have a beagle and my wife want a basset hound next.

Old 12-11-2011, 03:45 AM

Adorable, nice name also.

Old 12-11-2011, 07:16 AM

Cute pup. With places like that you go to the first one and tell the truth. That way you find out what they want to hear. After that then you go find the animal you want and tell them what they want to hear. These places take in animals that some one else didn't want and then usually spay or nueter them. They have gotten too demanding and then usually demand a suggested donation too. I really hate when outhers try to force their beliefs upon you because in their opinion it is for the common good. Self righteous b**tards.

Old 12-11-2011, 07:33 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

Nice dog...

Sometimes you need to see the other side of the coin in order to understand why things are done the way they are. One of the wife's girlfriends works for an animal shelter. Some of the stories I've heard about animals being adopted then returned or (worse yet) neglected, crippled or killed by the owners would make you sick. Unfortunately it's the tragic situations that make the questioning and prerequisite conditions neccesary. It has nothing to do with being self-righteous, it has to do with the welfare of the animal.

Old 12-11-2011, 08:44 AM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

it is a hard thing to do. lots of questions and paperwork. My wife works at a vet clinic. We adopted a mixed German shepherd from a shelter. mazingly he had been there for three years and no one would take him. Said he was too mean. Not at all. Loves to run the yard and seems to eb a good dog. Just wont wuit barking sometimes and drives me crazy.

Old 12-11-2011, 09:07 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

That is common practice. They don't want the dog to be sent to a home where they won't be neglected.

You can hate it all you want, but that is just how it is supposed to be. I'm glad they don't just give away animals.

Congrats on the animal though!

Old 12-11-2011, 09:38 AM

Mike for the most part people are good and do the right thing. Most people care for and love their animals. There is always going to be someone who doesn't fall into the above group. It doesn't give them the right to harass the masses because of the actions of a few. I believe that this statement is far reaching and doesn't apply to just animal adoption.

Old 12-11-2011, 09:58 AM

What a sweet little dog! You should understand though, adopting an animal is a very personal experience and the adopter should do the choosing. Many dogs and cats are returned to shelters when their new owners are given them as a gift and then discover they are not the pet for them. Worse still are the new owners who keep the unwanted "gift" and neglect or abuse it for the rest of its life. Or chain it outside 24/7. As an animal rehabber, I see cases like this. It happens more frequently than you'd think, with domestic animals and wildlife mistakenly kept as pets. I'm sure your girlfriend will take good care of Bonanza, and I hope they'll be a good fit for each other (and you). Good luck!! Keep us posted with pictures....

Old 12-11-2011, 10:07 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

Awesome pup!

Sorry about the troubles adopting a dog, but as many said, you need to see from their point of view.
First, you approached them stating it's a gift for your girl friend. Despite the fact you KNOW your girlfriend wanted a dog, a large percentage of animals given as gifts end up unwanted. They are just trying to dodge that statistic. Also with the fact you and your girl friend don't live together, that adds into it.
I can only understand the screening process and why it's the way it is. As far as being rude or insulting, there's no need for that. I'm sure these people could have been more polite.
Sadly, so many closed doors promote people wanting to lie about their adoption wants.

Quick Reply: Rant: Dog Shelters Rave: Found a dog