Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

On The Prowl

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 11:13 AM

i know how to get the door panel off,im talking about the plastic trim on the outside of the door,i don't know if the SS has it but I know my LS does,its just a small trim of plastic the runs down the middle of my door and I don't really like it

Old 06-12-2015, 10:12 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Sorry, I misunderstood your question. You must be talking about the exterior side molding, a 1" wide strip that runs the length of the door, then a separate, shorter piece extends into the rear fender. Those are held on with foam adhesive tape. Use a heat gun to soften the adhesive then slowly pry off with a plastic pry tool. Remaining adhesive can be removed with adhesive remover solvent.

Last edited by plumbob; 06-12-2015 at 10:23 PM.
Old 06-12-2015, 11:02 PM

Thanks Plumbob! I suppose I could use my gf's hair dryer on high? haha,i just don't know its painted behind it or just primer

Old 06-12-2015, 11:20 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Painted, but the paint around it will be oxidized and show the line. You might be able to buff to blend.

Old 06-13-2015, 12:51 PM

I plan to repaint the car anyways..maybe a candy apple red but im not sure yet

whats your opinion on a wire tuck?i know I could hide most of the wires except all the sensors in the intake,throttle bodyand clean up the spark plug wires,i already found a great place to hide my fuse box and the wires that run to it,i plan to power a lot of accessories so im going to go with an optima yellow top battery and run my power wires to my center console

Old 06-15-2015, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by KingWord
whats your opinion on a wire tuck?
I think I've mentioned it before, but I think it's a bad idea to do at the same time as your swap. To do it right and to do a real clean job, you'll be cutting and rerouting wires. Any time you start screwing with the harness, there is a possibility to goof something up.

I would just swap the engine as it is, get everything running fine, then worry about making it pretty later. I've just seen too many buggy swap cars (not just l67s) because the person made more changes than they needed to and ended up having a horrible time tracking down gremlins later. It can be hard enough debugging a swap anyways, I wouldnt make it any harder on yourself than you have to.

Old 06-16-2015, 09:30 PM

I don't plan on making anything permanent right now,I'm basically making a plan for after the swap,I wouldn't be able to do it now anyways since I don't know how much to shorten or lengthen wires,I do plan on painting the bay first so I don't have the engine in my way doing it later,

I got a little over 3 weeks until I can buy my donor car so I'm still looking around,I don't really want to take my chances at a junkyard so I'm waiting to find the right one,my best option to find the l67 I'd going to be the gtp or regal,that's the only two cars I've seen in good condition with low miles so far