Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

On The Prowl

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 12:36 PM
Default On The Prowl

Alright guys,i haven't touched the monte in over a week since this heat and humidity has gotten very high.but I did manage to sell my old 3.4 block and tranny for a wopping $50 lol,i still have all the accessories for it tho and don't know what to do with them

But I did get some great news lastnight,my father in law came to me and said when he gets laid off from his job he will be drawing his 401k out and he would buy me an engine so ive been on the hunt for the perfect donor with an L67,i figured around $1000 should get me a good one wrecked,no title doesn't matter as long as it will still drive with low miles,so now im getting prepared for my first swap,ive made a custom fuse box getting ready to relocate it pretty much under the sub frame I guess lol,it will be screwed to the frame directly under the battery so I can run my wires under the frame rails and my headlights I will run them through the square tubing behind that big block of Styrofoam,and Il paint the engine bay a dark silver.

I figured it would take me about 3 days to put the motor in since I want to pull it then clean the whole engine spotless so if I get any leaks I know exactly where it will be,id really like to find a donor for about $600-$700 so Il have money left over to get a downpipe so I don't have to worry about that when I have it in

is there any tips/advice to help me out? is it as simple as dropping it in,running my wire harness and hooking up my axles? what ever my donor car is (hopefully a monte or GP) il be using everything under the hood including pcm,radiator,fans,ect.

Old 06-11-2015, 06:26 PM

Good to hear you got some money for your 3400. I couldn't get any money out of my old 3100/4t60.

As for the swap, it is pretty straight forward if you get the whole donor car. I can say for sure you won't be just hooking your axles up if you swap the engine/trans from an l67 car. The passenger axle will not work. I'd try and see if the donor car axle fits, if not, you'll have to build a hybrid axle.

Old 06-11-2015, 09:47 PM

Yea im going to try and use both the axles from the donor but building one shouldn't be that hard should it? take the rubber boot off the 3400 axle and use the 3800 cup right?

edit: yea I had it a month on craigslist for $250 someone finally called me and I told them if they came and got it out of my yard today I would only charge $50 he was going to use the tranny to put in a 2006 monte carlo,i don't know how well it worked after sitting in the rain for a week lol but I haven't heard anything back,my father in law said I could just pay him back when I get the money but he will probably be laid off in a week or two so im on the hunt right now,people just want way too much for cars now days,i found a 2002 GP with a blown head gasket and a beat up body for $1200 and thought that was ridiculous,i wouldn't mind getting a l36 but then id still have to find the parts for a top swap

Last edited by KingWord; 06-11-2015 at 09:56 PM.
Old 06-11-2015, 10:33 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

King. Plan to reflash the PCM. You do plan to replace the tranny with an 4t65te HD too don't you? That'll need to be flashed too.

Last edited by plumbob; 06-11-2015 at 10:41 PM.
Old 06-11-2015, 10:56 PM

oh yes,im replacing everything,as of right now my engine bay is completely empty,the only thing under my hood is a rag and a bottle of engine degreaser lol,would the pcm still need to be flashed if im doing a complete swap with everything?

Old 06-11-2015, 11:18 PM
10 Year Member

Yup, different programs for different engines, and now that I read closer and see the old motor was a 3.4, not a 3.8 you may need a different PCM. A lot of the plumbing and wiring aint gonna transfer over either.

Old 06-11-2015, 11:30 PM

oh yea,like I said everything is getting changed over,i just want to paint the engine bay before I put everything in,the subframe I guess that's what you call it,its unpainted aluminum right now I plan to polish it and clear coat it then the rest on the engine bay will be silver and il shave down all the studs that hold the fuse box and a few other things,i want it to look nice lol

id like to paint the engine but I don't know how to prep it because id like the block to be red and everything else polished,and red braided hose sleeve to give it a nice touch

Old 06-12-2015, 12:03 AM
10 Year Member

Sounds cool. Have you thought about red vacuumhoses and wires too?
Name:  IMG_20150426_164007.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  300.8 KB

Old 06-12-2015, 12:15 AM

yea that looks pretty sweet Is that your setup? I want all the wires to be in red metal braided sleeves and everything else polished,im doing my car in a deep glossy red maybe candy apple red,with black trim and silver accents

I already have the black and silver 20 inch rims and that changed my whole view on the car.

I plan to take the plastic trim off the doors do you know if its glued on and do you think it has paint under it? I already have a can of GM torch red paint to touch it up for now but I don't really like that trim on the side,i think without it it will make the car look more sleek

Old 06-12-2015, 08:56 AM
10 Year Member

Sounds nice. Not my ride. Found pic online. Door panel is held in w 3 or 4 phillips screws and a couple Torx T20s. The rest of the door trim snaps in. If you remove it's gonna leave some holes though.