Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

A professor once said

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 03:38 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default A professor once said

I saw this story on facebook and thought it was pretty cool, so i thought i'd share it here..

When things in your life seem almost too much to handle, when 24 hours in a day are not enough, remember the mayonnaise jar and the 2 Beers. A professor stood before his philosophy class and had some items in front of him. When the class began, he wordlessly picked up a very large and empty mayonnaise jar and proceeded to fill it with golf *****. He then asked the students if the jar was full.

They agreed that it was. The professor then picked up a box of pebbles and poured them into the jar. He shook the jar lightly. The pebbles rolled into the open areas between the golf *****. He then asked the students again if the jar was Full. They agreed it was. The professor next picked up a box of sand and poured it into the jar. Of course, the sand filled up everything else.

He asked once more if the jar was full.. The students responded with a unanimous 'yes.' The professor then produced two Beers from under the table and poured the entire contents into the jar effectively filling the empty space between the sand. The students laughed.. 'Now,' said the professor as the laughter subsided, 'I want you to recognize that this jar represents your life.

The golf ***** are the important things---your family, your children, your health, your friends and your favorite passions---and if everything else was lost and only they remained, your life would still be full.

The pebbles are the other things that matter like your job, your house and your car..The sand is everything else---the small stuff. 'If you put
The sand into the jar first,' he continued, 'there is no room for the pebbles or the golf *****. The same goes for life.

If you spend all your time and energy on the small stuff you will never have room for the things that are important to you. Pay attention to the things that are critical to your happiness. Spend time with your children. Spend time with your parents. Visit with grandparents. Take your spouse out to dinner. Play another 18. There will always be time to clean the house and mow the lawn.

Take care of the golf ***** first---the things that really matter. Set your priorities. The rest is just sand. One of the students raised her hand and inquired what the Beer represented. The professor smiled and said, 'I'm glad you asked.' The Beer just shows you that no matter how full your life may seem, there's always room for a couple of Beers with a friend.

Old 10-11-2012, 03:46 PM
Zen

Hey theres always room for a couple cold ones

Old 10-11-2012, 04:08 PM

Hi `Keane, SuperSuper Story 4-Sure...Thanks for posting/sharing Everyone should look at life that way

Two friends were in a bar drinking a beer when one pulled out a cigar but he didn't have a lighter so he asked his friend if he had one..

"I sure do," he replied and reached into his pocket and pulled out a 10 inch Bic lighter.

"Wow!" said his friend, "where did you get that monster."

"I got it from my genie."

"You have a genie?" he asked.

"Yes, he's right here in my pocket."

"Could I see him?"

He reaches into his pocket and pulls out a very small genie.

The friend says, "I'm a good friend of your master. Will you grant me one wish?"

"Yes I will," the genie said so he asks him for a million bucks and the genie hops back into his master's pocket and leaves the man standing there waiting for his million bucks.

About this time, a duck walks into the bar followed by another. Then more ducks come pouring in. Before long the entire bar has ducks everywhere. The friend tells his buddy, "What is going on here, I asked for a million bucks not ducks!"

He answers, "I forgot to tell you the genie is hard of hearing. Do you really think I asked him for a 10 inch Bic?"

Last edited by Space; 10-11-2012 at 04:27 PM.
Old 10-11-2012, 04:15 PM

Monte Of The Month -- October 2012
3 Year Member

Excellent story to pass on Keane. Still has significant meaning every time I read it.

The seasons are changing so I know I'm naturally a little down this time of year. I suppose cold weather and less sunlight could be partially to blame. I'm already wishing it was summer so my Monte was out lol.. Anyways, it's always good to keep some inspiration like this close.

And Space, WOW lol. Never heard that one before

Old 10-11-2012, 08:01 PM
Zen

Nice one space