Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Pre-Winter Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 11:32 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Pre-Winter Maintenance

What do you do to get your Monte ready for Winter? And what do you do to clean your Monte up after Winter (provided it's not Winter stored).

Being in NE Ohio, we get nasty winters, especially the closer to the lake you are. Before Winter sets in I like to check the tread on my 16s. (Currently I run stockers year round, but next Spring I'll be upgrading to some 17s or 18s for Summer rims so I'll have to actually put on the Winter rims).

I just started this today, but I'm going to add it to my routine from now on; Seafoam - in the oil, gas tank and suck through the vacuum line.

I change the oil, check my brakes and fluids, replace my windshield wipers (I use RainX wipers with the boots on them so ice doesn't form up on them. Check and make sure all my lights work. Then come November, I do the final all out wash inside and out and wax the living crap out of it to make a barrier from salt. And of course, check the battery level and replace it if needed.

Come Spring I'm going to Seafoam it again, change the oil, plugs and wires, I remove the headlights and taillights and wash it THOROUGHLY to get all the salt off, I even spray under the car, and take it to my mechanic to get the brakes washed out good (he doesn't charge me for it, so why not). Check fluids again, (purchase new wheels) then swap on the Summer wheels and enjoy.