Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/off-topic-5/)
-   -   Plymouth Horizon (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/off-topic-5/plymouth-horizon-31121/)

Taz 09-21-2011 08:12 PM

Go with a good quality car cover. It's much better than leaving it exposed to the full elements.

mousehousemoparman 09-21-2011 08:46 PM

Hey, what's a Horizon? Just kidding. Nobody cared for them enough to really take care of them so they have all but disappeared. I agree with the other guys that said you got bad paint. The sun here in Florida is brutal on paint and interiors but even a bad paint job will last two years here. I would definitely keep it waxed. I like Mcguire s waxes with a good cover. I would also get one of those canopies and get tie down stakes. I use them here in Florida and have not had an issue when they are tied down properly and we get strong winds here.
Lou you are correct about the paint peeling off of Chrysler products in the 80's. It didn't have anything to do with Chryslers money issues. Ford and GM had and continue to have the same problem. The cause of this is the federal government sticking their nose where it didn't belong again and telling the big three how to paint. Basically the EPA (HITLER ORGANIZATION) mandated that lead could no longer be a component of paint. This meant all new formulations and the beginning of the end of single stage paint that is durable. All the old cars were painted with either single stage urethane or lacquer. It was inexpensive, shined, covered well with a minimum of paint and was fairly durable. The single stage paints that are available now don't have much shine to them. Now everyone uses two stage paint. Single stage paint is a one surface paint. The base coat does it all. Two stage is a base coat which is your color coat and it is thin. Over this they put a clear coat which gives the shine. The clear coats don't last and begin to peel. The EPA has again mandated how much emissions can be generated during the paint process. The manufactures are going to water based paints. The EPA is a bunch of anti automotive, anti business Nazi's that need to be hung from the highest tree that they love so dearly.

Please don't misunderstand me. I am for a clean and healthy environment. I am also pro automotive. I hate the EPA because they have too much power and no common sense. If the EPA Nazi bastards had there way all business would be shut down and we would all be back living in caves. After all clearing land and cutting down trees to build homes is bad for the environment.
I will make a few comparisons here. I have a 78 Dodge Aspen with the original paint still on it. It is thin in places and needs a repaint. The paint on it is 33 years old and it is single stage paint. I have a 95 Chrysler Town & Country minivan. Parts of it have been repainted. The paint on the roof has disintergrated and is down to primer and steel with lots of clear coat peeled. This paint at the oldest is 15 years old and two stage. It needed a repaint long ago. I have a 2002 PT Cruiser that has two stage paint. The clear coat on that is peeling all over the place and that started three years ago. it didn't even make ten years. What is the environmental impact to one paint job in thirty years or thee paint jobs in 30 years? Just a thought.

Leprechaun93 09-21-2011 09:01 PM

When i got the car it had original paint, it was quite faded but no peeling or anything so it was still in decent shape. With fresh paint the car looks a million times better, and i think i'll take some shots with my camera. The ones in the blog are cell phone shots. I think i'll go with the cover, be a while as i gotta let this new paint set and cure.

skylark65 09-22-2011 10:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by lougreen03 (Post 365713)
What about something like this. I'm sure you could find one locally for around the same price or less.
Buffalo Tools 10x20' Portable Pavilion - ANTOnline.comhttp://www.antonline.com/images/027077058222.jpg

Originally Posted by Budsjlm (Post 365717)
I was going to sugest one of those but i am leary of stuff like that comming down and messing stuff up !

i wouldin't want one of those things for FREE after the last one!!

i was using it for the monte, but told my dad to park his '57 in it for the winter to keep it dry. couldin't even lift the damn frame off the car untill the snow melted...

lougreen03 09-22-2011 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by skylark65 (Post 365970)
i wouldin't want one of those things for FREE after the last one!!

i was using it for the monte, but told my dad to park his '57 in it for the winter to keep it dry. couldin't even lift the damn frame off the car untill the snow melted...

Well i guess I'd skip that then. I've never used one for storage so I had no Idea how it would work. My city does not allow temporary structure's like this.