Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Plymouth Horizon

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 03:22 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Plymouth Horizon

So today i finally got my horizon back looking all nice and shiny again Now my question to everyone here is what do you all reccomend to keep it in good shape? Last time i believe the sun ruined the paint last time after only about a year and a half the hood and roof were very dull.

I'm curious first off as to what waxes and wash techniques you guys reccomend but secondly how should i protect the car when its not in use. I was thinking of ordering a cover for it (any reccomendations?) Or possibly renting a storage unit for it as i have no garage here sadly

Like all of my fellow monte owners here i've put alot of time and money into the car and you dont see these everyday so i'd like to keep this one looking as good as possible, thanks everyone.

Old 09-21-2011, 03:33 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

car cover is a plus but you want to make sure it is a quality one, i have seen people go with cheap ones and when it is windy and crapy out they flap in the wind a bit and actually start to harm the paint, a storage unit is a viable option but that means shelling out $$ every month, a sealent may be a good choice

Carnauba Car Wax vs. Paint Sealants, carnauba wax reviews, paint sealant reviews

Old 09-21-2011, 03:35 PM
Old 09-21-2011, 03:48 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member

Must have been some cheap paint or serious sun to damage the paint in a year. Mine has been out in the sun for 8-9 years as far as I know, and the paint is just now starting to dull a little bit. That's the difference in Maeco and a quality paint job I guess?

Old 09-21-2011, 04:33 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013

What about something like this. I'm sure you could find one locally for around the same price or less.
Buffalo Tools 10x20' Portable Pavilion - ANTOnline.com

Old 09-21-2011, 04:48 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
10 Year Member

I was going to sugest one of those but i am leary of stuff like that comming down and messing stuff up !

Originally Posted by lougreen03
What about something like this. I'm sure you could find one locally for around the same price or less.
Buffalo Tools 10x20' Portable Pavilion - ANTOnline.com

Old 09-21-2011, 04:49 PM
5 Year Member

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Building a garage, carport etc. is really out of the option. It'll probally have to be a cover or some storage unit. Not sure exactly what i'll choose. Those tent like covers, i'd be afraid i'd find it in my neighbors yard the next morning with the wind i get here sometimes

Old 09-21-2011, 07:06 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Cowboy6622
Must have been some cheap paint or serious sun to damage the paint in a year. Mine has been out in the sun for 8-9 years as far as I know, and the paint is just now starting to dull a little bit. That's the difference in Maeco and a quality paint job I guess?
I'm leaning toward the bad paint side. My city (Windsor, Ontario) was/is a big Chrysler town. At one time, we had three different Chrysler assembly plants here. And currently still make the minivans. Every 80's Chrysler vehicle around here had paint issues. The paint would peel off the hood, roof, and trunk in sheets. It's possible it could've had something to do with Chrysler's financial problems in the 80's. They almost went bankrupt, and went out of business.

But back to Keane's paint. I don't know how much you want to keep the car all original. But knowing the paint issues Chrysler had in the 80's. If you intend to keep the Horizon for a long time, I'd invest in getting the original factory paint and primer sanded off and completely re-done. I've been told that's the only way to get rid of the problem completely.

Old 09-21-2011, 07:51 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

Deff stay away from those portable tent garages, just invest in a good quality car cover

Old 09-21-2011, 08:06 PM
5 Year Member

Lou, funny you mention that, my moms chrysler 5th avenue always had paint issue, but anyway. I had already had the car repainted in january 2010 and it was just repainted again on warranty work. Like i said before i dont know what happened in just 1.5 years for it to become so dull, there was no reflection you could just see your shadow.

I pride myself in the car being original, and aside from the paint and headliner everything else is original (aside from the needed normal new parts) It looks so much better now that the re did it again, i really need to get underneath and under coat it before the car rusts too much more.

But i've been exploring options, if i bought on of those $65 covers off jcwhitney would it be could or and i going to just cause more damage with a lousy cover. My horizon to me is like your montes to you,(since my monte is a dd) love to keep her in good shape and i thank you all for your help. EDIT: looking at links space posted i see a nice one with a fleece lining, that i like. Dont wanna ruin the paint.

Last edited by Leprechaun93; 09-21-2011 at 08:11 PM.

Quick Reply: Plymouth Horizon