Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/off-topic-5/)
-   -   Plymouth Horizon (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/off-topic-5/plymouth-horizon-31121/)

Leprechaun93 09-21-2011 03:22 PM

Plymouth Horizon

So today i finally got my horizon back looking all nice and shiny again:) Now my question to everyone here is what do you all reccomend to keep it in good shape? Last time i believe the sun ruined the paint last time after only about a year and a half the hood and roof were very dull.

I'm curious first off as to what waxes and wash techniques you guys reccomend but secondly how should i protect the car when its not in use. I was thinking of ordering a cover for it (any reccomendations?) Or possibly renting a storage unit for it as i have no garage here sadly:o

Like all of my fellow monte owners here i've put alot of time and money into the car and you dont see these everyday so i'd like to keep this one looking as good as possible, thanks everyone.

Budsjlm 09-21-2011 03:33 PM

car cover is a plus but you want to make sure it is a quality one, i have seen people go with cheap ones and when it is windy and crapy out they flap in the wind a bit and actually start to harm the paint, a storage unit is a viable option but that means shelling out $$ every month, a sealent may be a good choice

Carnauba Car Wax vs. Paint Sealants, carnauba wax reviews, paint sealant reviews

Space 09-21-2011 03:35 PM

Hi Keane,
Build a garage, carport, shelter to keep it out of the Sun and away from the elements, or get a good car cover

<B><B></B>And then check sites like below & read what are pro detail member's post...Good Luck

<LI class="g knavi">
How To Keep Your Car Looking Like New : Exterior Car Care

<BUTTON class=vspib type=submit></BUTTON> <CITE>news.carjunky.com/...car_care/keep_your_car_new_looking.shtml</CITE> - CachedSimilar
A little TLC and the right tools can maintain your car's youthful appearance for years. Here are some easy, do-it-yourself tips to help steer you in ...

Cowboy6622 09-21-2011 03:48 PM

Must have been some cheap paint or serious sun to damage the paint in a year. Mine has been out in the sun for 8-9 years as far as I know, and the paint is just now starting to dull a little bit. That's the difference in Maeco and a quality paint job I guess?

lougreen03 09-21-2011 04:33 PM

What about something like this. I'm sure you could find one locally for around the same price or less.
Buffalo Tools 10x20' Portable Pavilion - ANTOnline.comhttp://www.antonline.com/images/027077058222.jpg

Budsjlm 09-21-2011 04:48 PM

I was going to sugest one of those but i am leary of stuff like that comming down and messing stuff up !

Originally Posted by lougreen03 (Post 365713)
What about something like this. I'm sure you could find one locally for around the same price or less.
Buffalo Tools 10x20' Portable Pavilion - ANTOnline.comhttp://www.antonline.com/images/027077058222.jpg

Leprechaun93 09-21-2011 04:49 PM

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Building a garage, carport etc. is really out of the option. It'll probally have to be a cover or some storage unit. Not sure exactly what i'll choose. Those tent like covers, i'd be afraid i'd find it in my neighbors yard the next morning with the wind i get here sometimes:rotfl:

Taz 09-21-2011 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by Cowboy6622 (Post 365704)
Must have been some cheap paint or serious sun to damage the paint in a year. Mine has been out in the sun for 8-9 years as far as I know, and the paint is just now starting to dull a little bit. That's the difference in Maeco and a quality paint job I guess?

I'm leaning toward the bad paint side. My city (Windsor, Ontario) was/is a big Chrysler town. At one time, we had three different Chrysler assembly plants here. And currently still make the minivans. Every 80's Chrysler vehicle around here had paint issues. The paint would peel off the hood, roof, and trunk in sheets. It's possible it could've had something to do with Chrysler's financial problems in the 80's. They almost went bankrupt, and went out of business.

But back to Keane's paint. I don't know how much you want to keep the car all original. But knowing the paint issues Chrysler had in the 80's. If you intend to keep the Horizon for a long time, I'd invest in getting the original factory paint and primer sanded off and completely re-done. I've been told that's the only way to get rid of the problem completely.

03JGMonte 09-21-2011 07:51 PM

Deff stay away from those portable tent garages, just invest in a good quality car cover

Leprechaun93 09-21-2011 08:06 PM

Lou, funny you mention that, my moms chrysler 5th avenue always had paint issue, but anyway. I had already had the car repainted in january 2010 and it was just repainted again on warranty work. Like i said before i dont know what happened in just 1.5 years for it to become so dull, there was no reflection you could just see your shadow.

I pride myself in the car being original, and aside from the paint and headliner everything else is original (aside from the needed normal new parts) It looks so much better now that the re did it again, i really need to get underneath and under coat it before the car rusts too much more.

But i've been exploring options, if i bought on of those $65 covers off jcwhitney would it be could or and i going to just cause more damage with a lousy cover. My horizon to me is like your montes to you,(since my monte is a dd) love to keep her in good shape and i thank you all for your help.:thumbsup: EDIT: looking at links space posted i see a nice one with a fleece lining, that i like. Dont wanna ruin the paint.