Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Pics: Autorama, Awarded a 3rd Place Win...

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2018, 11:59 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2012
Monte Of The Year 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2017
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Pics: Autorama, Awarded a 3rd Place Win...

Well at the awards ceremony I sat at the back on the floor leaning against the cinder block wall, feeling dejected, knowing there was no hope to pull off a win at an event like this. I'm sitting there talking to the guy next to me and hear my name announced. At the stage I find out I was awarded 3rd Place in my category. I'm so elated I can't tell you. I mean us Monte types are used to rejection over the 49 Mercury, 57 Chevy Belair, 68 Camaro etc..
but that does not make the feeling any easier, being walked on by time after time.

My category was 1135 Conventional HardTop, 2000 to 2015 with 8 cars in the field. And believe me there were some really nice cars there in these years. And if I did my homework right the 1st Place was "Dave Kindig" (Tv's BItchin Rides Star)with a beautiful 2015 Dodge Challenger "Hurst Edition" and the other was from the Mustang club a 2013 GT-500. But the others being newer Camaros, Chargers, Mustang GT's, years 2015 and older etc. I get a win over them, hell yeah!!

When the event is over the you can go to the judges table to get your scorecard and on mine he had demerits but at the bottom was wrote "Neat Car" . I asked him why he thought it was neat and he basically says he see's many cars traveling around the country and he has not ever seen one like this. I was honored and still am giddy over this what I would call a "Huge Win" even if it was 3rd. We got some respect back gentlemen... I heard one guy talking to his buddy saying "This would have been a good car if it had an LS motor" and by the time he walked around to the front and saw the engine in almost the same breath goes "Aw dang", it made me smile...

I think the new headlights helped freshen up the cars image too, also had a professional paint correction friend come to the event and work on my Monte the day before the event doing his voodoo making the cars shine pop as much as possible...

Now time to go get a Rum and coke... LOL, not really, have to much work to catch up on, took a week off for this show prep and my place is a shambles...

Attached Thumbnails Pics: Autorama, Awarded a 3rd Place Win...-cs5.jpg   Pics: Autorama, Awarded a 3rd Place Win...-cs4.jpg   Pics: Autorama, Awarded a 3rd Place Win...-cs1.jpg   Pics: Autorama, Awarded a 3rd Place Win...-cs3.jpg   Pics: Autorama, Awarded a 3rd Place Win...-cs2.jpg  

Last edited by ZIPPY02; 03-26-2018 at 07:56 AM.
Old 03-26-2018, 06:39 AM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Congrats man! Car looks great, amazing win!

Old 03-26-2018, 08:09 AM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Thumbs up Congratulations on the win

Originally Posted by ZIPPY02
Well at the awards ceremony I sat at the back on the floor leaning against the cinder block wall, feeling dejected, knowing there was no hope to pull off a win at an event like this. I'm sitting there talking to the guy next to me and hear my name announced. At the stage I find out I was awarded 3rd Place in my category. I'm so elated I can't tell you. I mean us Monte types are used to rejection over the 49 Mercury, 57 Chevy Belair, 68 Camaro etc..
but that does not make the feeling any easier, being walked on by time after time.

My category was 1135 Conventional HardTop, 2000 to 2015 with 8 cars in the field. And believe me there were some really nice cars there in these years. And if I did my homework right the 1st Place was "Dave Kindig" (Tv's BItchin Rides Star)with a beautiful 2015 Dodge Challenger "Hurst Edition" and the other was from the Mustang club a 2013 GT-500. But the others being newer Camaros, Chargers, Mustang GT's, years 2015 and older etc. I get a win over them, hell yeah!!

When the event is over the you can go to the judges table to get your scorecard and on mine he had demerits but at the bottom was wrote "Neat Car" . I asked him why he thought it was neat and he basically says he see's many cars traveling around the country and he has not ever seen one like this. I was honored and still am giddy over this what I would call a "Huge Win" even if it was 3rd. We got some respect back gentlemen... I heard one guy talking to his buddy saying "This would have been a good car if it had an LS motor" and by the time he walked around to the front and saw the engine in almost the same breath goes "Aw dang", it made me smile...

I think the new headlights helped freshen up the cars image too, also had a professional paint correction friend come to the event and work on my Monte the day before the event doing his voodoo making the cars shine pop as much as possible...

Now time to go get a Rum and coke... LOL, not really, have to much work to catch up on, took a week off for this show prep and my place is a shambles...
Congratulations on the win, most of the time they just overlook your efforts and give it to the Mustang, Camaro or Chargers.
Pretty kool for sure.
Now when you go to another show and display your winning award you might get some well deserved kudos.

Old 03-26-2018, 08:29 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Congrats on the third

Old 03-26-2018, 09:14 AM

Showing up with a new car with a bunch of bolt on part's is easy. Doing something different and making part's by yourself is so much more rewarding. Great job

Old 03-26-2018, 11:50 AM
Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2015
10 Year Member

Awesome, congratulations!

A few of us have talked about doing the Detroit Autorama next year so we'll see.

Old 03-26-2018, 09:19 PM

Awesome job man! I do think these cars will stand the test of time. That said, I can't stand the snobbishness I used to experience at car shows. I had an immaculate black '92 Z28, and only the younger guys gave it any respect....

Old 03-27-2018, 07:33 AM
Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2015
10 Year Member

I see a lot of you are talking shows. I can say I get a lot of looks at shows in general but I do a lot better at judged shows because they're actually looking at the car and "judging" it the way it should be. Honestly, participant voting is all about who has the most friends. I have won a couple participant vote shows and to be honest I think I value those awards the most because they're much harder to win. These late model classes are especially hard to win because they often include a large span of years plus more people are showing brand new cars. Hell, last year I took a top-3 in my class at Livonia's show and a 1st place in my class at Milford's show and I was dumbfounded - both participant voting.

Last edited by 06mistreSS; 03-27-2018 at 07:36 AM.