Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Pick 1 Favorite Car Per Post! (Game!)

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 08:56 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Pick 1 Favorite Car Per Post! (Game!)

So lets see if we can play a little game.... here are my "rules."

Select one car per post. You may post multiple times, but not in succession. You have to let a few people come in and post between all of your posts. In each post, select a muscle car (not limited to classics), put up some pictures, and tell us why it is the best car, or one of your favorites.

And you already know what I'm going to start with...

The 1968-69 Ford Torino!!!

All throughout the 60s, the fight for speed had been fought in the engine room. Finally, Ford was among hte first to try to use aerodynamics to make thier muscle cars perform on the NASCAR superspeedway. The sportsroof was born, or more commonly called a fastback. The Torino is one of those forgotten muscle cars that people will always come up to you and tell you how they haven't seen one in such a long time, and how much they used to love them, often telling you a story of how they or someone close to them had one and how great of a car it was. (funny how you remember the good times, right?)

It was sort of the Mustangs bigger brother. Or sister. Or whatever gender your Torino is. To me, it is that car for someone who wnats Ford performance, yet wants something more, something different brought to the table over the Mustang. The torino is for those of us who have to be different. The same engines, Ford muscle, great interior, several options... you can even have one in a station wagon if you want!!!

For me and many other, aesthetics count. To me, a fastback roof line is hard to beat. Dual headlamps, smooth curves, and that sleek roof make it hard to miss yet mysteriously mistakable at car shows for a Mustang or a Dodge Charger..... (seriously, had a guy tell me he had a car just like mine, a Charger. Told him this one was a Torino. He said, "Yeah, I had one too, a Charger, just like it.)

Then there is the NASCAR end. For all the other cars that came on the circuit over the years, there was always a car to compete with it. The Thunderbirds and the Monte Carlos. The Galaxy v. the Hemi in the early 60s. Petty's Charger vs. Pearson's Mercury, The Taurus vs. the Monte Carlo... yet with the Torino, the only real competition was its Mercury counterpart in '68 and '69. That was, until of cours,e the Charger daytona and Superbird showed up late in '69 and then full force in 1970. Yet in those first races in '69, the Torino won because the downforce on the winged cars was too much for the tires, they had some overheating issues, and some drivers had a hard time figuring out how to get the handle. They won their first time out at Talladega without the big time drivers, ran well in some races in late '69, but didn't dominate until '70. But that's another story. In '68 and '69, it was all about the Torino.

Ford had it going on in the late 60s. 7 Consecutive manufacturers titles would be rounded out by the Torino. Ford won it again in '68 and '69, and theri star driver, David Pearson, took the title in both years. The cars won I believe over 50 races in a 3 year time span (consider that NASCAR ran 50-55 races a year back then). It was an absolute dominator. The Mercury counterpart was run by some top notch NASCAR teams well into '71.

Then there are the looks....

Please don't use it as a ramp.

It was good enough to lure Petty to Ford for one year!!! The only Ford petty ever raced.

You could even get a family version...

For me, a car needs a good interior. Lets face it, you're ther 100% of the time you are driving, so it should be good!!!

What really kills many GM cars for me is how they build such a great car, good drive train, good looks, and then just throw any old whatever in the interior. Especially in the 1980s and 1990s, yet it's been that way since the 60s. They ahd it for the '57 Chevrolets, yet couldn't keep it going through the rest of the century. For me, the Ford Torino interior is attractive, durable, and comfortable. That makes for a pleasant driving experience.

And the national champion... with a Torino to thank!!

David Pearsons Torino.. .worthy of the hall of fame.

Conclusion

It was a car built to win NASCAR, yet could be driven in a comparable form on the street and even had in a family version, stood out in a crowd, had a special quality to it, comfortable to drive, and a great muscle car. That's why it has been my dream car since I was 12!!!

So choose one car... try to pick different cars than what everyone else chooses, and lets play a little game. Lets see what the MCF favorite cars of all time are!!!

Old 01-05-2012, 09:23 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2011
5 Year Member

I will start with a 1971 or 72 Pontaic Grand Prix.
Theya re wicked fast. Most had 400/4bbl/400turbo trannys. Mine had that and I could just slap it in low 1 and let her rip. She would shift into 2nd at 55mph and burn the tires. I like the inside also because they sit great and the has a cockpit feel. The dash is all for the driver. Huge front end. had looks, luxury and power. This is an SSJ model. very rare.

Old 01-05-2012, 09:29 PM

1969 Roadrunner 440 6 pack
It ran on june 1969 a 12.98 quarter at 111.66 mph bone stock. It had same HP as a hemi and 5 less torque but its performance peak was 2k rpm lower meaning it had a launch you could feel in your pants. Chrysler engines were so much more powerful back then that Nascar limited thier products to 1 four barrel carb when Ford and GM could have 2. Not fair. The six pack was the answer and it was amazing.

link http://www.allpar.com/mopar/440.html

Last edited by Mr Grizzly Mint; 01-05-2012 at 09:34 PM.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:55 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

1969 CORVETTE ZL1 ..

History of the ZL-1

The 1969 ZL-1 Corvette

Only 2 of these Corvettes were sold to the public with the ZL1 engine. A Can-Am white t-top coupe and a Daytona yellow car with side pipes. Why were only two sold when it was such a great engine option? It was the added cost of approximately $6,000 for the ZL1 option that discouraged sales. This more than doubled the cost of the Corvette resulting in a total cost over $10,000. It would be a good guess that prospective buyers opted for the more cost effective L88 cast iron motor, which appeared to have the same horsepower; for a lot less than the $6,000 that Chevrolet wanted for the ZL1.

The ZL1 engine was as exotic of an engine that could have ever been developed given the parameters Chevrolet had to work with 30 plus years ago. The all aluminum 427 ZL1 was patterned after the cast iron 427 L88, but it wasn't merely just a change of the block casting material. The ZL1 had beefier bearing journal web areas, and external web braces at places such as the front of the block where the intake manifold bolts down. There are extra bolt pads inside the lifter valley under the intake manifold to allow for extra head bolts. The aluminum block had iron cylinder sleeves, capability for dry sump oil system and optional gear drive for the camshaft. The ZL1 camshaft was a higher lift and different duration than the L88. The aluminium dual plane intake was topped by a 850 cfm holly four-barrel carb.

The ZL1 motor was developed by Chevrolet with the intended purpose of racing. Therefore it was necessary for Chevrolet to produce it as a regular production motor to qualify it. But it is likely that without the efforts of Zora Duntov the engine would never have made it to production. Chevrolet produced the ZL1 motor as a RPO (Regular Production Order) option in 1969 only, and only available as a RPO option on the Corvette.

The quickest ZL1 documented ran a quater mile in 10.60 at 132mph this appeared in Motor Trend October 1969.

Roger Judski's ZL1

Kevin Suydam's ZL1

Old 01-05-2012, 10:07 PM

<IFRAME style="POSITION: absolute; WIDTH: 10px; HEIGHT: 10px; TOP: -9999em" id=twttrHubFrame tabIndex=0 src="http://platform.twitter.com/widgets/hub.1324331373.html" frameBorder=0 allowTransparency scrolling=no></IFRAME>2003-2004 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra!!! I love the stance of the Terminator,it looks soo mean,and backs it up with a supercharged 4.6 L DOHC.Six-speed transmition with the Eaton supecharger!

And of course i would have it in black,red, or YELLOW

Old 01-05-2012, 10:36 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Do I need to explained....

Luxary,performance, just plain bad ****!!!!

Old 01-05-2012, 10:40 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

For my First one I will post the first car I can really remember wanting as a kid. The 1977 Bandit trans am. I was 6 or 7 when I first seen it in person and I fell in love. At the time it was in my eyes the coolest thing around. After seeing the movie it was even cooler. I have never owned one yet. I almost bought a gold 78 TA a few years back but it was in bad shape and had a lot of issues. Someday I will have one I only hope it can live up to the car I have in my mind.lol now for some pics.

Edit I forgot I wanted to say my dad wanted to buy my mom one when I was about 8 years old. I still remember to this day my mom saying she couldnt see over the scoop so she didn't want it. That was so many years ago and I still remember it to this day.lol Maybe that is why I want one so bad.

Now of course I want an original but I would take the Year One version

Last edited by lougreen03; 01-05-2012 at 10:45 PM.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:11 AM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member

I think I'll go ahead and throw out another one... the 1970 Dodge Challenger R/T

The Challenger was the Pony Car that was too late. 1970 was the last great year for most muscle cars, and it was the first year for the Challenger. And it's a shame, because had it been a few years earlier, it would have probably been the highest seller by this point, in my opinion. It was lightning fast with 440 Magnum and 426 Hemi options, yet affordable with an inline 6, 318 V8, or 383 V8.

The looks were just amazing to my eyes. I mean, just take it in....

That color brings me to my next point. If you ever want a beautiful color to do a custom restoration, go crack open a 60's-70s Dodge paint code book and take a look. Plum Crazy, that Lime Green, Panther Pink... beautiful colors, and hard to miss. Ford and Chevrolet never had the color that a good Mopar did, that much I will give to my friend Gregg!

As I stated earlier, my cars have to have a good, solid interior, since thats where I will be 100% of the time I am driving it. And for me, Dodge produced some of the best interiors of the muscle car era... better than even my Ford Torino if I am to be honest.

A breath taking dash, easy to read gauges, that 140 mph speedometer that leaves you wondering just how much of it that car could do, those luxurious, well padded bucket seats, that woodgrain console....

The best part, however, would have to be that pistol grip shifter mounted on a 4 speed transmission. Barry Newman slammed it into infamy in Vanishing Point, and if I restored any car with a manual,, I would really want to have it as my setup.

mopar 383 and pistol grip a833 4 speed - YouTube

Wouldn't you just love doing that all day???? I would.

And that bit about Vanishing Point brings me to my conclusion. Despite all the hype i gave those special Mopar colors, I'd want one in Alpine White.... and pretend I'm Barry Newman.

Vanishing Point Trailer - YouTube

Old 01-06-2012, 09:21 AM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2011
5 Year Member

Duane, that originally was going to be my car. My brother was always a mopar muscle guy. Had a Black Challenger R/T 4 speed and a 69 Roadrunner 383 auto. Never seen a car burn so much straight line rubber without powerbraking it. Now we all wish we had those cars still. His Challenger is why I bought my 09. Couldnt wait to get it over so he could see it. I miss it, but another day down the road.

Old 01-06-2012, 09:28 AM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

06 GTO, last GTO made, amazing power with the LS2 V8, great comfort amazing fit amd finish & crazy top speeds

Quick Reply: Pick 1 Favorite Car Per Post! (Game!)