Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Photography

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 11:58 PM

i gotcha. i probably would have known that if i did go to college. lol

im not sure if i can even change that though my cam isnt that high tech. i mean, i love it. but i cant even change the shutter speed

Old 09-26-2011, 08:58 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Even entry level dSLRs are really starting to come down in price.

The common misconception is that you HAVE to have an amazing dSLR body to take good pictures. But the truth is that it all comes down to your techniques and your lens.

So you could easily pick up a cheaper dSLR "kit" and still take great pictures. Just know that you'll need to save up for a new lens one day.

Personally I prefer Canon over anything else, and if I ever decide to upgrade my dSLR body in the future, my lenses will all transfer over.

Old 09-26-2011, 09:37 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member

I'm into photography as a hobby also. Currently I'm still using my Canon 30D and Canon SX10is.

Old 09-26-2011, 12:41 PM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2014
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Ok, for those of us who would rather spend a little more on Mods and a little less on camera equipment, here is my set-up with approx. costs;

Canon SX20is - $425.00 CDN (can be had on sale for $375 CDN), 12.1 MP, 20x zoom (28-560mm equivalent) with Image Stabilization, 720 HD video, shoots RAW with chkdsk hack, full manual mode (if you so wish), ISO super clean up untill 400 & up to 1600 with some noise (I know, way less than the dslr), external flash - Canon Speed-Lite 270ex $149.99 CDN, Circular Polorizing filter (Hoya - $110.00 CDN, don't go cheap here, you'll regret it), Hoya Super Clear filter - $70.00 CDN (beats replacing a Lens glass - way more expensive), lens adaptor for filters - $15.00 CDN, Gorrilla mini Tri-pod (you really can wrap or mount it on just about anything) - $49.00 CDN, dslr SWISS sling camera bag - $49.99 CDN... Grand total for a camera for life = $869.97 with all accessories in (not too bad), a DSLR full set-up will run you well into the thousands... An alternative to consider with no lenses to buy or carry around...

Attached Thumbnails Photography-canon-sx20is.jpg   Photography-270ex.jpg   Photography-hoya-circular-polorizing-filter.jpg   Photography-gorilla-tripod.jpg   Photography-swiss-sling-camerabag.jpg  

Last edited by Crusader SS; 09-26-2011 at 01:26 PM. Reason: More info... Sorry for the Web shots, camera is at home...
Old 09-26-2011, 01:06 PM

15 Year Member

I still stand by my entry level dSLR variant, the Canon Rebel XSi

Old 09-26-2011, 01:17 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I'm also into photography. I've done a couple small jobs for family members and i've had a couple pictures published in magazines. I do agree it isn't always your camera that makes the shot it is your skill and how you process them as I've had my pictures published, did a sweet 16 party and even a wedding with my Canon rebel XS and people were very happy with the results.

Old 09-26-2011, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
I still stand by my entry level dSLR variant, the Canon Rebel XSi
Definately a nice camera...

Old 09-26-2011, 01:46 PM

15 Year Member

Definitely is. And the market for Canon lenses is huge, you can get unbranded ones for 1/4 the price and will work basically just as well.

But what lens you need definitely goes by what you want to shoot.

Also, you mentioned you could use the Speedlite flash? You should look into FlashBenders, I have one for my speedlite and it was A HUGE difference to how well the flash pictures came out.

Amazon.com: Rogue FlashBenders ROGUERELG Large Positionable Reflector: Camera & Photo

Old 09-26-2011, 02:11 PM

Definitely is. And the market for Canon lenses is huge, you can get unbranded ones for 1/4 the price and will work basically just as well.

But what lens you need definitely goes by what you want to shoot.

Also, you mentioned you could use the Speedlite flash? You should look into FlashBenders, I have one for my speedlite and it was A HUGE difference to how well the flash pictures came out.

Amazon.com: Rogue FlashBenders ROGUERELG Large Positionable Reflector: Camera & Photo
Thanks Mike, I'll definately look into them...

Old 09-26-2011, 03:59 PM

The common misconception is that you HAVE to have an amazing dSLR body to take good pictures. But the truth is that it all comes down to your techniques and your lens.

So you could easily pick up a cheaper dSLR "kit" and still take great pictures. Just know that you'll need to save up for a new lens one day.
I've been told that asking a photographer what kind of camera they used is like asking a baker what kind of oven they used. It is the skill of the photographer and not the equipment that makes pictures great.

The d3100 looked like a good choice for a beginner. I think the guide mode will be very helpful for learning. I've been reading a lot about aperture, shutter speed, and f stops so hopefully I'll have a good jump on the basics. I think it will be a long time before I out grow an entry level dslr.

Interesting about the filters. Under what circumstances would you use specific filters? The 35mm prime I got came with a UV filter but I'm not sure when I would use it. I've also heard of polarized filters.

Also I've found this website to be very helpful and fun. www.froknowsphoto.com The guy is a character lol. But there is a good beginner section with instructional videos and a good forum and there are weekend photo assignments, kind of fun.

Quick Reply: Photography