Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

Photography

Old 09-23-2011, 07:25 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Photography

I decided to pick it up as a hobby. Ordered a Nikon d3100 with kit lens and a 35mm prime and a couple books. I was curious if any others here were into photography? I was always interested in it but never had the motivation until my son was born. I figured now is a good time to jump in.

Old 09-23-2011, 07:37 AM

Hi `Alex,
I've always wanted to get into photography, & it's on my Dream List...It can be an expensive hobby, but you have a great reason 4-Sure...Look forward to seeing some pictures.
EnJoy...I just read a few reviews & they are rated high, and so is the cost....Thanks for sharing & I look forward to other posts from member's that are into this hobbie...

SMILE Click

1. D3100 from Nikon

<CITE>www.nikonusa.com › ... › CamerasDigital SLR Cameras</CITE>Cached
    You +1'd this publicly. Undo
    D3100 from Nikon. ... Nikon: At the heart of the image. Nikon Global ... D3100. Body Only. $699.95 *SRP SRP (Suggested Retail Price). Product Number: 25472 ...
    UC-E4 USB Cable - D-SLR Value Pack$70.00 - CF-DC1 Semi-Soft Case

2. Nikon D3100 Digital SLR Camera with Nikon AF-S VR DX 18-55mm lens

<TABLE style="MARGIN-TOP: 5px" class=ts><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 10px" vAlign=top width=84><TABLE class=ts><TBODY><TR><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; WIDTH: 82px; HEIGHT: 82px; VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle"></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TD style="WIDTH: 37em" vAlign=top><NOBR><TABLE style="POSITION: relative; TOP: 2px" class=ti border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD><TD>

<TD>

<TD>

<TD>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>1,082 reviews</NOBR>
    The Nikon D3100 digital SLR camera speaks to the growing ranks of enthusiastic D-SLR users and aspiring photographers by providing an easy-to-use ...
    Amazon.com - $503.00 Walmart - $549.00 Best Buy - $598.99
    Online stores from $435 - <NOBR>
    <TABLE class=ti><TBODY><TR><TD>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    p.s. I was going to post that you could've used your funds for mod's for your Monte, but then
    I thought, that a good camera is a great mod to take pic's of your Monte : )</NOBR>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Last edited by Space; 09-23-2011 at 07:41 AM.
Old 09-23-2011, 08:14 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Joe and I are pretty big into dSLR photography on the forum.

First thing you NEED to do is set the camera to shoot in RAW photos and not JPEG. You could always shoot RAW+JPEG settings, but you'll find yourself only using the RAW.

That Prime Lens will be fun because you can drop the f-stop pretty low. You should also look into getting a Polarized filter for your lenses. They are a MUST if you are shooting in bright daylight or photographing a car. Basically anything with a glare that can take away.

Do you have Photoshop? It's kind of a must for "developing" the RAW images.

Any other questions, drop them in the thread

Old 09-23-2011, 02:51 PM

i used to be really big into photography. at the same time i was painting alot.

almost went to SCAD (Savannah college of art and design) to study the 2

seems life had other plans and it never happened

Nikons are the best. i got mine at best buy. the new models were coming in, so they were having a huge sale on the current models. got it half price with a full protection plan.

why RAW file? like, what does that mean and why that instead of JPG?

Old 09-23-2011, 02:56 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2011

As stated I Love photography! I too have a Nikon (D90) and it is the best purchase I ever made....I mostly shoot cars/car shows, although I do shoot scenery every now and again.

Now get to tking pics and start posting!lol.
Joe

Old 09-23-2011, 03:19 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by mstrmysterious63
iwhy RAW file? like, what does that mean and why that instead of JPG?
When you shoot in RAW, it means unprocessed. The Camera just takes all of the information and stores it in one file. That file type is RAW.

It's not actually a picture, but a collection of data. It's completely not-touched.

You MUST process this file type on a computer. By doing that you have so many options not available to a JPEG.

When you shoot as a JPEG, the camera (and it's crappy on board tools) compress the photo and you are stuck with the options used to develop.

For example, if you underexposed a JPEG, you are kind of fixed on your options. If your white balance was off, you can't really fix it.

In a RAW file, you can fix the exposure, you can correct the white balance. You can do everything you want.

There are TONS of information available about this, but that is the basic.

Old 09-23-2011, 04:18 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

Hmm interesting stuff always wanted a good camera & to get into photography

Old 09-23-2011, 11:25 PM

Im into photography as well.. Just got into it right after xmas when i bought a Canon Rebel T2i, i love it, its amazing the kind of pictures you can get with the right camera, lense. I take most of my pictures are landscape/ animals cuz that what i enjoy. Ive always found it harder to take creative pictures of my car Have fun with your camera, hope to see some pics up soon!

Old 09-23-2011, 11:43 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member

I used to know photography - I took it in high school and college many years ago. I don't remember a thing - oh well. I do have a dSLR and it does take great pics, I just play around with the settings.

Old 09-23-2011, 11:50 PM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2014

I also love photography... I have a Canon SX20is... It's a bridge camera with 20X zoom... And it also shoots RAW with the chdsk firmware hack... I love it and I don't have to carry any other lenses... Your absolutely right Mike, filters are a must... I have 2, a polorizer (don't go cheap) & a clear protector... Good luck, you've got a great camera...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Photography