Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.
View Poll Results: Which one would you like to own/drive ?
1970 Chevrolet Monte Carlo "454"
15.91%
1970 Buick GSX
4.55%
1968 Pontiac Firebird Coupe
2.27%
1969 Dodge Charger
11.36%
1970 Plymouth Hemi ‘Cuda
11.36%
1970 Boss 302 Mustang
0%
1970 Chevelle 454 SS
25.00%
1965 Pontiac GTO
9.09%
1966 Shelby Cobra 427 or 1967 Shelby Mustang GT500
6.82%
1969 Z28 Chevy Camaro
13.64%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Which one do you want ? "Muscle Cars"

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 07:57 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

1965 Malibu w/Z16 option..

Front fender emblem for 1965 Malibu SS 396 Z16.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:02 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

70 Chevelle SS 454 please! "450" horsepower, yes please! They were actually closer to 500hp. One of my favorite cars ever made. Will eat a Hemi for breakfast and crap out a slant 6.

Old 03-21-2012, 11:27 PM

The pic of the above Dodge Charger is a 68 and not a 69 as the article states. The 68 had the flat recessed grille that goes from side to side and the small bullet hole fender marker lights. The above car looks like the Charger from the movie Bullit with Steve McQueen. The 69 Charger had a center divider the split the grille in half and the fender lamps where rectangular in shape. The Charger was also available with a slant six and and every V-8 that Chrysler had available at the time. I had a 68 Charger with a 318. Wish I still had it. As great as the Hemi is remembered to be, it isn't the engine of choice for a street car. They need constant tuning to keep them running right. I'd prefer a 318,340, or even a 383. Thank you very much.

Old 03-22-2012, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by mousehousemoparman
The pic of the above Dodge Charger is a 68 and not a 69 as the article states. The 68 had the flat recessed grille that goes from side to side and the small bullet hole fender marker lights. The above car looks like the Charger from the movie Bullit with Steve McQueen. The 69 Charger had a center divider the split the grille in half and the fender lamps where rectangular in shape. The Charger was also available with a slant six and and every V-8 that Chrysler had available at the time. I had a 68 Charger with a 318. Wish I still had it. As great as the Hemi is remembered to be, it isn't the engine of choice for a street car. They need constant tuning to keep them running right. I'd prefer a 318,340, or even a 383. Thank you very much.

Thanks for the correction from our Expert MouseHouse-MoparMan. That changes everything...

We learn so much on the MCF...I must find the time to research my posts sources..I'm so sorry if my post upset anyone I will spend more time researching every model & trim, but there sure is a lot of cars to learn about...
It's great that we have a MoPar expert to correct an error.
Thank You!
1968–1970
[edit] 1968

<TABLE style="WIDTH: 25em" class="infobox hproduct" cellSpacing=5><CAPTION class=fn>Second generation</CAPTION><TBODY><TR><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center" colSpan=2></TD></TR><TR><TH style="TEXT-ALIGN: left" scope=row>Production</TH><TD>1968–1970</TD></TR><TR><TH style="TEXT-ALIGN: left" scope=row>Assembly</TH><TD>United States: Detroit, Michigan
Hamtramck, Michigan
Los Angeles, California
St. Louis, Missouri

</TD></TR><TR><TH style="TEXT-ALIGN: left" scope=row>Engine</TH><TD>225 cu in (3.7 L) 1bbl I6 (1969-70)
318 cu in (5.2 L) 2bbl LA V8
383 cu in (6.3 L) 2bbl B V8
383 cu in (6.3 L) 4bbl B V8
426 cu in (7.0 L) Hemi 2x4bbl RB V8
440 cu in (7.2 L) 4bbl RB V8
440 cu in (7.2 L) 2x3 RB (1970)

</TD></TR><TR><TH style="TEXT-ALIGN: left" scope=row>Transmission</TH><TD>A904 3-Speed automatic
A727 3-speed automatic
A230 3-speed manual
A833 4-speed manual

</TD></TR><TR><TH style="TEXT-ALIGN: left" scope=row>Wheelbase</TH><TD>117 in (3,000 mm)</TD></TR><TR><TH style="TEXT-ALIGN: left" scope=row>Length</TH><TD>208 in (5,300 mm) (1968)
207.9 in (5,280 mm) (1969-70)

</TD></TR><TR><TH style="TEXT-ALIGN: left" scope=row>Width</TH><TD>76.7 in (1,950 mm) (1968-69)
76.6 in (1,950 mm) (1970)

</TD></TR><TR><TH style="TEXT-ALIGN: left" scope=row>Height</TH><TD>53.2 in (1,350 mm) (1968-69)
53.0 in (1,350 mm) (1970)

</TD></TR><TR><TH style="TEXT-ALIGN: left" scope=row>Related</TH><TD>Dodge Coronet
Plymouth Belvedere
Plymouth Satellite
Plymouth GTX
Plymouth Road Runner

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
The entire B-body lineup for 1968 was redesigned and the Charger was further differentiated from the Dodge Coronet models. Designer Richard Sias developed a double-diamond coke bottle profile with curves around the front fenders and rear quarter panels. Front and rear end sheet metal was designed by Harvey J. Winn. The rear end featured a "kick up" spoiler appearance, inspired by Group 7 racing vehicles. On the roof, a "flying buttress" was added to give the rear window area a look similar to that of the 1966-67 Pontiac GTO. The Charger retained its full-width hidden headlight grille, but the fully rotating electric headlights had been replaced by a simple vacuum operated cover. The full-width taillights were gone as well. Instead, dual circular taillights were added at the direction of Styling Vice President, Elwood P. Engel. Dual scallops were added to the doors and hood to help accent the new swoopy lines.
Inside, the interior shared almost nothing with its first generation brothers. The rear bucket seats were gone, though the console remained the same as the '67 save for the removal of the armrest cushion. The tachometer was now optional instead of standard, the carpeting in the trunk area was gone, replaced by a vinyl mat, the rear seats did not fold forward and the electroluminescent gauges disappeared in favor of a conventional design.
The standard engine was the 318 cu in (5.2 L) 2bbl until mid-year when a 225 cu in (3.7 L) slant-six became available. The 383-2 and 383-4 remained unchanged. A new high-performance package was added, the R/T ("Road/Track" with no 'and' between Road and Track). The R/T came standard with the previous year's 440 "Magnum" and the 426 Hemi was again optional.

In 1968, Chrysler Corporation unveiled a new ad campaign featuring a Bee with an engine on its back. These cars were called the "Scat Pack". The Coronet R/T, Super Bee, Dart GTS and Charger R/T received bumble-bee stripes (two thin stripes framing two thick stripes). The stripes were standard on the R/Ts and came in red, white or black. They could be deleted at no cost. The 1968 model year Charger sales increased to 96,100, including over 17,000 Charger R/Ts.

• 1968 Dodge Charger R/T

• 1968 Dodge Charger R/T

[edit] 1969

1969 Dodge Charger

The 1969 model year brought few modifications. Exterior changes included a new grille with a center divider and new longitudinal taillights both designed by Harvey J. Winn. A new trim line called the Special Edition (SE) was added. This could be available by itself or packaged with the R/T, thus making an R/T-SE. The SE added leather inserts to the front seats only, chrome rocker moldings, a wood grain steering wheel and wood grain inserts on the instrument panel. A sunroof was added to the option list as well, and saw only 260 sold installations. The bumble bee stripes returned as well, but were changed slightly. Instead of four stripes it now featured one huge stripe framed by two smaller stripes. In the middle of the stripe an R/T cutout was placed. If the stripe was deleted, a metal R/T emblem was placed where the R/T cutout was. Total production was around 89,199 units.

Bo & Luke Duke popularized the 1969 Dodge Charger in The Dukes of Hazzard

The television series The Dukes of Hazzard (1979–1985) featured a 1969 Dodge Charger that was named The General Lee. "The General" sported the Confederate battle flag painted on the roof and the words "GENERAL LEE" over each door. The windows were always open, as the doors were welded shut. The number "01" is painted on both doors. Also, when the horn button was pressed, it played the first 12 notes from the de facto Confederate States anthem "Dixie". The car performed spectacular jumps in almost every episode, and the show's popularity produced a surge of interest in the car. The show itself purchased hundreds of Chargers for stunts, as they generally destroyed at least one car per episode.
[edit] Charger 500

Dodge Charger 500

In 1968, Dodge watched their NASCAR inspired Charger R/T fail to beat the Ford cars (the Ford Torino Talladega and the Mercury Cyclone Spoiler II) on the high-banks oval-tracks. The Dodge engineers went back to the wind tunnel and found the tunneled rear window caused lift and the gaping mouth induced drag. Dodge engineers made the rear window flush with the rest of the roof and put a 1968 Coronet Grille up front. The original Charger 500 prototype was a 1968 Charger R/T with a 426 Hemi. The prototype was painted in B5 Blue with a white stripe.
The Charger 500 prototype had a Torqueflite transmission, a white interior and 426 Hemi. The Charger 500 was tested for production, got the greenlight and was one of three models introduced in September 1968. The Charger 500 was standard with the 440 Magnum but the factory literature claims the 426 Hemi was standard. The Charger 500 had the Torqueflite standard and the same equipment standard as the R/T.
The Charger 500 sold for $3842.00 MSRP and was available with the 426 Hemi for an extra $648.20. It had the options A11 and V88. Stripes were available with red, black and white colors. Air conditioning was optional on the 440 Magnum for an extra $357.65.
A total of 500 Charger 500s were made but only 392 were bought for street use. The rest were bought by racers and gutted, stripped, modified and/or repainted. Only 67 Charger 500s were built with the 426 Hemi; 27 with 4-Speeds and 40 with Torqueflites.
The Charger 500 did not achieve the results expected of it on the NASCAR superspeedway circuits and lost to Ford Motor Company entrants, but it was successful on the shorter under 1 mi (1.6 km) tracks.

Last edited by Space; 03-22-2012 at 06:36 AM.
Old 03-22-2012, 06:41 AM

Thanks Member's, for your posts/votes & sharing your favorite Muscle Car(s).
I think if the auto companies brought them back with updates ~> they would out sell many of the newer deSigned Models

Old 03-22-2012, 06:52 AM

I'll be perfectly honest, I'd take a 70-71 2nd gen Camaro over a 1st gen Camaro at every trim level. They were more powerful, better made, better handling, and (in my opinion) look better. Even the 72 numbers were deceiving because of the change from gross to net hp ratings.

Old 03-22-2012, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by SupplySgt
I'll be perfectly honest, I'd take a 70-71 2nd gen Camaro over a 1st gen Camaro at every trim level. They were more powerful, better made, better handling, and (in my opinion) look better. Even the 72 numbers were deceiving because of the change from gross to net hp ratings.

Thanks Sarge `Drew for being perfectly honest ..Good choice on a dream Camaro I like honest people/member's 4 sure...I thought you & member's may enjoy the below:
1970-1971 Camaros - Birds Of A Feather

Three second-gen Camaros, three very different build styles

By Patrick Hill,

<ARTICLE>

It won't strike readers as strange that we see a lot of cars throughout a typical year at Super Chevy. Now don't worry, we're not looking for sympathy here, as many of you out there would love to have our jobs. But after looking at so many cars, sometimes they start to blur together, and it takes something unusual or a particular wavelength tuned to our warped minds that gets us to notice something.
While walking the aisles at the 2010 Vegas Super Chevy Show, spying a flock of early second-generation Camaros parked together, each built in a different style, just sort of spoke to us. Basically the same car, done three different ways, in three of the most popular colors for a Camaro to be sprayed. Following our gut instincts, the cameras came out and our pens started scribbling. Here's what we found...

Fix It or sell it!

John Tsutsui - '70 RS/SS 396 Camaro
Sometimes when a project stalls, it takes a massive thunderclap to break it out of the quagmire of inactivity. Mechanic John Tsutsui found this Camaro in California, and brought it home for $3,600, despite not being totally in love with the car's looks. This was in 1989.
After a few years of tinkering on the F-body, John and his family moved to Utah, where the vehicle would sit untouched for about six years. Around the new millennium, John's wife delivered the ultimatum, "either fix it or sell it." Not wanting to part with the car, work started to get the '70 back into fighting trim.

Before taking residence in John's garage, the Camaro had seen a lengthy second life of drag racing. This meant non-racing items like the heater box, center console, and even the emergency brake parts were long gone. The engine and trans were out of the car when he bought it, but both had seen fresh rebuilds. Scouring the Southern California junkyards and Pomona swap meet, all the parts necessary for getting the car back on the street were found.
The original 350hp 396 car (only 1,864 built in the strike shortened 1970 model year) was resprayed in its factory Daytona Yellow hue, and rolls on original second-gen Rally wheels. In 2001 the Camaro emerged from its rebuild for the start of its third life, and lots of driving enjoyment.

It's a Rescue

Roger Bozarth - '71 Camaro
Are project cars like homeless animals? After seeing rough lives, we take them in, feed them parts, and give them cozy places to sleep in our garages, carports, and backyards. We make sure they get the attention they deserve, and enjoy their companionship. We just don't have to worry about them tearing up the couch or getting into the garbage.
Roger Bozarth rescued his F-body from project car hell after seeing an ad in a Lake Havasu City newspaper. The owner had started to build it, lost interest, and wanted it out of his garage. The asking price was $4,000, but Roger worked some haggling magic and got the '71 for $1,200.
The poor thing was in very rough condition and needed a lot of work. Undeterred, Roger and his son loaded the Camaro on a trailer and hauled it back home to Las Vegas where the two novices tore the car apart with no prior experience. Learning along the way, father and son put the '71 back together and took it to a painter who mucked up the car's finish. This sent Roger to Mike Martin at Super Stripes in Las Vegas to get the car resprayed properly in PPG Blue.

Under the hood, the car's original 350 sits between the subframe rails with an 0.030-inch overbore, 9:1 compression, Vortec cylinderheads, and Edelbrock 750-cfm carb. It breathes through Flowmaster mufflers and transfers power through a 2,500-stall torque converter and TH350 to the rear.

Hood Hacker

Weston Bayles - '70 Z28
Instead of a guitar, drum set, or similar youthful endeavor with a short lifespan, Weston Bayles' son wanted a project car to work on in his high school auto shop class. After looking around, the Bayles found a '70 RS Z28 needing a lot of work that would be perfect.
Weston ended up at his son's school to lend a hand quite a bit, tearing apart of the front and rear of the car. They installed new fenders fore and aft, and a new trunk inner pan. According to Weston, about the only things not replaced were the roof and doors.
His son grew tired of the project, though, and after school ended and the car was hauled back to the Bayles' home, Weston bought the car form his offspring and went to work finishing the rebuild in their garage. Wanting a serious look, a '72 hood was bought so it could be cut for the fitment of a Weiand 6-71 Roots-style blower with dual Holley carbs mounted on top. The ground floor of the engine is a 383 small-block running vintage GM iron heads, 10:1 compression, with a Pertronix Flamethrower ignition lighting everything off.

Proud of the car he (and his son) built, Weston kept all the car's original parts, just in case he wants to restore the car back to original someday. For now though he enjoys the whine of the supercharger and the sight of those dual carbs sticking through the hood.

Old 03-22-2012, 07:26 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member

gotta love me a '69 charger!

Old 03-22-2012, 07:30 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

Originally Posted by 03SSLE
You forgot the '65 Malibu w/Z16 option.
Originally Posted by zjerry
1965 Malibu w/Z16 option..

Front fender emblem for 1965 Malibu SS 396 Z16.
Yep, that's one that should have been on the list.

Old 03-22-2012, 07:40 AM

Space that blue one with the white stripes is basically the paint job that mine will have when I get it painted. It came from the factory with paint code 29 (midnight blue) with white stripes. I'm hoping to get her painted in the next few months. I won't be spending a ton on it since I like to drive it on a regular basis but it'll still look pretty nice. I still need to drop the front end back down a bit as well but I'm also saving up for my next project too so I'm not sure how much I'll be willing to spend on suspension.

Quick Reply: Which one do you want ? "Muscle Cars"