Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.

OK THINK TANK - We have a new Project

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 01:24 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default RE: OK THINK TANK - We have a new Project

its alright... a little too spacy though (sorry space ) i think the 00-05 bodies were the best ever in my opinion... althoguh the late 80's were great too. no one has ever complained about no room in my car, and i've had 4 people, all around 5'8-6'0, and between 175-225 lbs, nobody complained. i've done this several times and even some hour or so trips like this. nobody complaine.d.. as a matter of fact, friends who have never been in the car marvel at how much room it has, especially being a 2 door. i would take these cars and place them on the camaro and firebird chassis of the 90's thru '02. LS1 engine with a 6 speed would be PERFECt. maybe a little bit more power for the heavier cars, and some more just for the heck of it (man I'm desperate for power I guess)

Old 11-27-2007, 02:01 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- December 2007

Space's interior is fromcadillac, but someone posted it as a 2010 monte carlo ss interior.

CAR:
I'm going to freak you out, because for a power plant I was thinking of a 190-HP Electric motor with a potential top speed of 300-MPH (0 to 60 in less than 4 seconds). The motor and the battery system is available, and there are some new batteries that can charge in 2-seconds and discharge 100% of its power in 1-second. OK I can hear your now... WHAT! Hear me out, Not all the batteries discharge at once, so while one group is discharing, another two groups are charging. But the thing is, is it ability to discharge 100% of its power in 1-second pushes that motor to incredible speeds. Besides, YOU NEVER RUN OUT OF FUEL (ELECTRICITY) - the car charges itself while driving.

So whileI was thinking electric motor (Which can Sound pretty badarse in WOT), high powered electric motors require multiple gear transmissions, to efficiently achieve those incredible speeds, so you still get to shift (just without a clutch). 0-60 in 4-seconds or less, top speeds reaching 300-MPH, and with the electric motors they can be direct drive to each tire -- meaning you would have incredible torque & tractioneven in a down pour or flooded road. TRUE 4-wheel drive

Oh, best rim size is actually 20" because of the huge amount of torque, requires the bigger tires, otherwise you would melt the tire to the road in seconds. I will keep going back to 0-60 in less than 4-seconds and 300-MPH capability.

What would you pay for a vehicle that didn't need fuel -- EVER. I figure it is worth at least $18,500 in 5-years. So a $50,500 price tag would be quite managable without paying for gas & oil.

Old 11-27-2007, 02:02 PM

Space thanks,

Old 11-27-2007, 02:02 PM

well so far it seems like we all agree on 2 things...manual transmission and RWD
neone else have some ideas?

Old 11-27-2007, 02:26 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I agree with you rj. The steering wheel in that one pic does appear upside down. Turn the wheel the right way and I'm all for that interior.

As for the concept photo chopped car Space posted... I think it would look better if those headlights were turned 90 degrees and lined up with the grill. And the cliche concept car dub wheels need to be changed. Maybe some better looking 17's or 18's tops.

Of course the new Monte has to have both auto and manual trannys available as options. With the SS coming with a manual transmission standard. And rear wheel drive or no deal.

btw... excellent topic! [sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 11-28-2007, 10:42 PM

Numero uno: (at least on my list) Something like the new 6 speed that has been produced using two clutches, and an automatic clutch switching system. Can be run in the full auto mode, or in something similar to the 'triptronic' where you tell it when to shift, but the car does the shifting.

Two, put the trans in front of the engine to push the front wheels forward, gives better weight distrobution and much sportier looks. (if it's FWD)

Three: Something like the two rear half-doors that the RX-8 has, and what the Nova concept looked like it had. Can't find that picture, the car as a whole actually somewhat reminded me of an RX-8, but the half rear doors definitely gave it that illusion. Now I know there are the purists that are all for two doors only, but seriously, this setup seems like a no-brainer to me. The car really retains the looks of a coupe,and it makes the rearseat a whole heck of a lot more accessable. The family man that wants a coupe can finally justify the purchase, without ruining the coupe image for the rest of us.

Four: A V8 powerplant isn't going to hurt, anything with a healthy dose of power is welcome. Unfortunately due to even MORE economy restrictions the V8 is probably out of the question. 35 MPG in ALL vehicles? This will probably kill all but the most lean running V6's and I-4s. Forget buying any vehicle with any sort of power, without paying ridiculous gas-guzzler taxes.

Now Diesel, that's something that is intrigueing me. I saw a portion of a tv show that had a diesel getting like 40 MPG, and producing something like 300 HP with standard technologies. I really wish I remember what show/who made that car. It was quite something, and nothing like the rattly sounding diesels of yesteryear, this thing was smooth. Not to mention it got that good of mileage and power on bio diesel, which is produced from worthless used fryer grease!

Back to the car. Quicker collapsing seats would be a must. I like the looks and power options of the 7th gens, but hate everything else. You can't reach the release if you have the seat reclined at all, and once you fold it forward for a rear passenger, it says in the fully upright position until you use the recline lever.. Annoying much?

I would like to see a HUD. Maybe not to replace standard gauges, but quick-glance information that doesn't happen to ride directly in the line of sight for those of us with a shorter stature.

Better audio. 4 dual-cone speakers do not mean you have an 8 speaker premium audio system.

As far as visuals go? A kick-back to the sheild is not unwelcome, but how many buyers today realize what that is? I had a guy try to tell me a 6th gen with the sheild was a Dodge Intrepid because it had the "Ram logo".

Hmm, I wish I was a better artist... I'd put it down on paper...

Old 11-29-2007, 10:56 AM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

How about for a power plant we shove in a fire breathing inline 6 cylinder?

At a cruise in back in 2006 a guy showed up witha 1948 or so Chevy. It had the original inline 6 cylinder under the hood but he'd mounted a blower on it. The blower wasn't operating at the time but it sure looked mean. And if he did manage to get it working on the 6 cylinder you can bet he'll give more that one unsuspecting driver a scare.

I know the buddy I bought my 150 Wagon from said seeing a 6 cylinder at the track was normal. They run more consistant when a V8 does. And adding a 4 barrel carb wakes them up a lot.