Off Topic A place to kick back and discuss non-Monte Carlo related subjects. Just about anything goes.
View Poll Results: Should they be Banned while Driving ?
Texting while Driving ?
94.74%
Talking on Phone while Driving ?
52.63%
Eating While Driving ?
42.11%
Smoking while Driving ?
52.63%
Kissing while Driving ?
42.11%
Jumping Up & Down while Driving ?
52.63%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

NTSB Calls for Nationwide Ban on Use of Mobile Electronic Devices While Driving

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 06:31 AM

Here's another point (probably affects very few if any of the people who regularly are on this board). What about Amateur Radio operators? Most of them (myself included) are members of local emergency response organizations. We also have radio equipment in our vehicles that we use during all kinds of situations (most common around here is during severe weather events). Most would not think of us as "emergency personnel" since we aren't paid, nor do we do it all the time, and so any laws passed would likely not even consider us. Before any type of law to this effect can be instituted, ALL the ramifications must be considered, not just the 16 year old who is texting behind the wheel.

The truck driver examples are crap anyway, because commercial drivers are already prohibited from using cell phones without hands free devices. So those drivers were already breaking most likely several laws and should be stripped of their CDL.

Mousehouse makes a good point about personal freedom. The few who screw everything up are always the ones that make the headlines, yet out of most of the wrecks I've witnessed around here, it was just people being idiots and distractions weren't even involved. It's like saying if guns are banned, people will stop getting killed by them. There is always inherent risk when you go out on the roadways. I was nearly killed by a guy who decided to dart out in between traffic. He didn't even own a cell phone, nor was there anything in his truck that people are considering banning. Idiots will be idiots, regardless of whether there are distractions or not.

They cite all these numbers, but they only cite the numbers that support their case. 3,000 fatalities. Out of how many overall? And they didn't define "distractions" in their reports, they only write the report in a way that makes you assume it's all cell-phone related. If they really want to make a case, they need to put out ALL the numbers and not just those that make them support their case. There are far more fatalities due to incliment weather (when those who do go out on the roads are more likely to be focused) than 3,000. Most likely, there are more many fatalities due to failing equipment on poorly maintained vehicles as well.

Guess my point is that there are a lot more things to consider in this, and that many people zone out behind the wheel and cause fatal wrecks. People falling asleep behind the wheel do the same. Without seeing the data, I'm guessing that their 3,000 "distraction related" fatalities are but a small percentage of all fatalities on the highways.

Old 12-16-2011, 07:37 AM

Really!?!? That is just messing with people. Are they gonna remove radios also because im looking into a 7' indash. Why dont they just mind their own business? If someone wants to text or talk let them if they get in an accident who cares? Everyone has to die one day, if its your time then its your time. Not to sound ignorant but these new bans will interfere with my everyday life and I wont stand for it. I wish a cop would pull me over for using a cellphone, I guarantee that Laptop wont be on that stand.

Old 12-16-2011, 08:38 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by DRuben
If someone wants to text or talk let them if they get in an accident who cares?
I care. I would rather not get my car wrecked because someone couldn't wait to say "OMG LOL"

Old 12-16-2011, 08:58 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Hi Member's,
I just finished reading every-one's post on their pros's & con's of this subject.

I don't believe anyone likes to be told `NO on things they like or prefer to `do...., or be banned from somewhere they want to `go or be able to do...

My thoughts & opinions have changed as I have grown & experience life...

I am a supported of "Freedom 4 `all", but I do believe that there are many that abuse the freedoms that many have been given in their lives to enjoy....

The majority of vehicles on our roads are over or close to 2 tons & can be a weapon if they are not driven safely. They are a WEAPON in the wrong hands...They are a BOMB if they are a Semi +

I believe that drivers should not be distracted by any device that takes their attention off the road.: (Talking on a phone/texting/eating etc)...I agree with Mod `Mike...

I think many would change their minds about this subject `if
someone they LOVE is killed or seriously injured by a driver that was on the phone/texting/eating etc...

I do believe that there are more experienced & talented drivers that could multi-task & drive & do other things, but I think they are in the minority....

I know that I could not live with myself `if I killed or injured someone while I was driving & was distracted by any devices that are used in 2day's vehicles...

I don't think you can teach/enforce common sense...I know I did not think this way when I first got my license, but with time my thoughts have changed...I hope that I am changing for the better...I am willing to give up some of my freedoms `if it is going to be safer on our highways for the majority.

I will fight with every resource that I have for freedom, if I think the changes are unfair. I do believe that there are to many out there that are abusing their freedom.

Thank you for reading...It's just the way that I believe...
You have the freedom to drive the way you want, but I hope
that you think b-4 you are distracted...Your Choice for now.

Text'in while driving...Was it someone you loved

Last edited by Space; 12-16-2011 at 09:11 AM.
Old 12-16-2011, 09:09 AM

Ok, going by that logic, then should they ban driving when there's snow/ice on the road? Because I can promise you that there are far more fatalities due to that. Probably more fatalities from hydroplaning too. So should we only allow driving when it's sunny and the roads are dry? How far does this go? This is but a small % of fatalities, yet they aren't even talking about going after the most prevalent causes of fatalities on the highway (driving improperly for conditions, falling asleep at the wheel, just not paying attention in general, etc.) How about going after people who don't maintain their vehicles properly. That causes a pretty fair share of the wrecks around here. The only wrecks that I've been in had no distractions involved at all. It was just people being idiots. One of those almost did kill me. Most of the close calls I've had were due to people being idiots and I never saw a cell phone in hand (you'd be amazed at the things I notice around me due to my training). People do not pay attention behind the wheel. Even if there is no distractions. I can promise you that THAT is a far greater cause of wrecks on the interstate, but you never see those in the news. You never see "3 people were killed in an accident because the driver was being an idiot and simply not paying attention." Remove cell phones and fatalities MIGHT go down by a small percentage but I can promise you it will not change much of anything as far as people being idiots on the road.

Old 12-16-2011, 09:19 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Why is there the huge fight?

I think overall people need to be retested, the procedure to get a license needs to be revamped, and people just seriously need to care more about how to operate a motor vehicle.

Taking cell phones out of the equation is a good start.

Everyone keeps jumping to such extremes, liberties being taken away, no driving in snow, no radios. You can't HELP it when it snows, so you take it easy. You can't help when there is black ice and you can't see it.

You CAN put your cell phone down, You CAN pay more attention to the road, you actually CAN decide not to go out if the weather is poor and you don't feel comfortable.

Old 12-16-2011, 09:25 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Hi `Drew (Sarge),
Thanks for your post & opinions...
We can't control Mother Nature, but we can control what we do and how we drive...

We can't control idiots , but we can put them in a cage & reprogram them Bad Acts = Bad Consequences for the violators...

I believe in obeying the laws of our country, and do my best to peacefully protest the laws I believe are unfair & unjust.

"We the people, elect the ones that make the laws" & it will be up to we the people to change the laws that are deemed unfair & unjust....
============================================
Thanks everyone for keeping this debate civil & expressing your opinions/thoughts on this subject...I find it very interesting & informative...We are a very diverse group of many different ages & experiences...That's one major reason why I love the MCF...

Thanks `Drew & members for your contributions to this thread & the MCF

Peace Out from `Space
p.s. I may not `be the brightest bulb on the tree (I'm solar powered) & waiting for the sun 2 return : ) Watch Out ~>lol

Last edited by Space; 12-16-2011 at 09:27 AM.
Old 12-16-2011, 09:50 AM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2010
Monte Of The Month -- July 2013
IT HERTZ
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I think you should just drive while driving it seams that most people have a hard enough time just doing that what add all the rest LOL !!! or may be it should be like a video game and you earn skill points if you can do more just drive like 5 points if you can drive and have a light conversation with a passenger ,or 10 if you can have their stereo on and have a light conversation . but still drive speed limit and stay in your land and use a blinker for merging or turning a corner .LOL

Old 12-16-2011, 09:53 AM

My point Chibi is that very little will change if you take cell phones out of the equation. You have to attack the real problem, and this would be like applying a bandaid to a sucking chest wound. By not saying a single word about going after the real problem, it tells me that any laws instituted would be primarily for revenue that the government has lost during the recession, NOT solving the problem. They would never actually say this but it's the sad truth behind most laws these days, such as the red light cameras like mousehouse mentioned.

Old 12-16-2011, 10:05 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2011
Monte Of The Month -- April 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I HATE driving behind or near a person talking on a cell phone. It how my 1st monte got totaled some one on thier cell made a left hand turn from right hand lane in front of the wife . I am sooo glad wife was not hurt

Quick Reply: NTSB Calls for Nationwide Ban on Use of Mobile Electronic Devices While Driving